585,977 active members*
4,244 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Uncategorised CAD Discussion > Looking for Drafting Contracts...

Looking for Drafting Contracts...

I hope I'm posting this in the correct forum section...

Okay, I live between Brisbane and the Gold Coast. I've been CNC machining for the last 8 years. I have recently done a subject at one of the local tech colleges to learn (as much as I could) about Inventor. I've known AutoCAD very well (2&3D), for over a decade.

My question:

Given that I have no formal qualifications (engineering diploma or degree), what does everyone think of my chances of being able to land a drafting contract, based upon my machining experience and newly found Inventor skills???

I've worked in production and non-production (almost toolroom) environments, have a good understanding of tolerances and machining capabilities and a fairly good understanding of material selection principles.

I'm at a bit of a cross-roads. Do I keep machining (sticking to what I know I'm employable in) and start an Advanced Diploma in Mechanical Engineering, part time, or continue signing up with every Tom, Dick and Harry Recruitment Service I can find in the Brisbane area, hoping I can find some contract work???

I can't afford to stop working and study full-time, as I've a mortgage and my first child on the way.

I dont know how it is there, but here in the midwest US, someone with CAD knowledge and shop experience is very employable in manufacturing engineering.

I would think that working either as a machinist or a draftsman while going back to school would be a good plan.

"I dont know how it is there, but here in the midwest US, someone with CAD knowledge and shop experience is very employable in manufacturing engineering. "

I live in the midwest and have been a cnc programmer/machinist for 15 years. While I consider myself employable there seems to be an extreme shortage of decent jobs. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place but everything I see leads me to believe that the good paying jobs have left.

Check Craigslist, san diego, manufacturing, search "CNC"
    I see many opportunities
    Been doing this too long

Thanks for the tip but San Diego is too far to comute to from Detroit