585,679 active members*
5,164 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Leadscrew backlash nut issue.

Hello,

This is a X/Y table off a Gorton P1-2 engraver. I am converting this into a CNC mill as per my thread in the project logs. I have run into a problem with the leadscrew backlash adjustment nut. The red arrow points to it. The problem is in order to get all the backlash out I have to tighten that nut up to the point I can hardly turn the hand wheel. This is because the backlash nut rubs directly on the metal housing. Metal to metal.

What I am thinking about doing is making a spacer out of brass that will house ball bearings. The ball bearing will theoretically roll and allow the leadscrew to turn more freely while still taking out the backlash.

Am I stupid or do you think that might work. Or are there any better suggestions other than changing lead screws. Ball screws are not in the budget right now. have to work with what I have.

Thanks.

You should be able to buy a thrust bearing for that. But that should fix that problem.

^^ Ditto
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

you might need 2, one for each side of the existing bearing.

Eric
    I wish it wouldn't crash.

Ditto,
    Ball bearings will take axial loads, but the thrust bearing is a far better idea. If you do go with Ball bearings, spend a little more and get a quality bearing since it will handle more axial loads. Another advantage of a thrust bearing is that they tend to be "thinner" than the ball bearing. A thrust on one side and a bronze thrust washer on the other (against the thrd) might be all you need.

Thanks for the input guys. I will take a trip to the local bearing shop when I get a chance and see if they got some thrust bearings that will work. :cheers: