585,722 active members*
4,040 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 3 123

Ben's UHU saga

Hi,
    I read old thread about uhu ,seams here you are still writting about. I received this days controller from Uli , and pieces on reichelt .de . I have soldered two controller board{from 6}.,and just i expected after i readed many experience before me..... i neeed helpp.
    1. i cant test uhu board .. dont know..maybe encoder ..i put on pc those 2 green led are shining, error led is ok vhen i put error on uhu soft control, is ok pc see my board but i cant move my motor ..sometimes he goes away alone in one direction.
    motor for testing is shinano kenshi dx050..encoder 200lines 90degrees 2 chanel 4 wire { i have other bigger but encoder on them are not ok for uhu-3 wire max 50 lines.."} please tell me is encoder is ok for uhu is TTL???i put some encoer specs atached here.
    2.i tested voltage everithing is ok but i dont know german and as in picture in place of 0 volt is 5 on my board{dont know what say there about measuring where to put -of multimetter?)is a problem somebody cheked that diode and iss not ok 5 volts?{ i measured all pind with - on the uhu board an + on each pin all but there i got 5}
    3. can you give me some layot schems and docs for encoder receiver emitter for differential lines?if my encoder is not ok i can update him with differental lines to work in uhu?
    4.some simple step dir program for testing servo???or tell me step by step how to run from uhu soft{E 2000 G 30000??ANS HE WILL RUN?}
    5.btw i want to build an wood router for sculpture..hope i succed and dont regret a lot of money sped without result
    6 thx . i know i will find here help ..i watched you for about 2 years nice guis..

best regards: ben

forgot another thing to asc what about with those colored pins on ic's?
    and please help to do breakboard for 3 axys..image detail ..{for me a beginer in electronic and this domain an image make more thamn 100 words and her e s my controller
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_04721.jpg   UHU Voltage Check2.JPG  
    Attached Files Attached Files

HI Ben - since you were starting to clutter my thread I started a new one for us to clutter and fill up.

answers soon.

RGDS
    Irfan

Quote Originally Posted by contactirfu View Post
    Hi,
    I read old thread about uhu ,seams here you are still writting about. I received this days controller from Uli , and pieces on reichelt .de . I have soldered two controller board{from 6}.,and just i expected after i readed many experience before me..... i neeed helpp.
    1. i cant test uhu board .. dont know..maybe encoder ..i put on pc those 2 green led are shining, error led is ok vhen i put error on uhu soft control, is ok pc see my board but i cant move my motor ..sometimes he goes away alone in one direction.
    reverse the leads of the motor - it should work -

motor for testing is shinano kenshi dx050..encoder 200lines 90degrees 2 chanel 4 wire { i have other bigger but encoder on them are not ok for uhu-3 wire max 50 lines.."} please tell me is encoder is ok for uhu is TTL???i put some encoer specs atached here.
    think Henrik can shed more light on your encoder -

2.i tested voltage everithing is ok but i dont know german and as in picture in place of 0 volt is 5 on my board{dont know what say there about measuring where to put -of multimetter?)is a problem somebody cheked that diode and iss not ok 5 volts?{ i measured all pind with - on the uhu board an + on each pin all but there i got 5}
    I build the older schema - it did run low voltage - but never understood much of it - may be some one else can help.

3. can you give me some layot schems and docs for encoder receiver emitter for differential lines?if my encoder is not ok i can update him with differental lines to work in uhu?
    oh yes it is here
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showpo...9&postcount=18

4.some simple step dir program for testing servo???or tell me step by step how to run from uhu soft{E 2000 G 30000??ANS HE WILL RUN?}
    when you download a copy of mach - you geta few demo programs which you can run - also you can use the arrow keys in Mach to jog.

5.btw i want to build an wood router for sculpture..hope i succed and dont regret a lot of money sped without result
    ah I built my own
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46998

6 thx . i know i will find here help ..i watched you for about 2 years nice guis..

best regards: ben
    Thank you Ben - again a special thanks to Kreutz - Paul - Henrik and Jossi

forgot another thing to asc what about with those colored pins on ic's?
    and please help to do breakboard for 3 axys..image detail ..{for me a beginer in electronic and this domain an image make more thamn 100 words and her e s my controller
    here is one wonderful schematic for a BOB
    http://www.members.shaw.ca/swstuff/bob.html

hope this helps -

The first, 200 line unit should work fine but the second one probaly won't. Only three wires sounds very strange for an incremental encoder and will not work with the UHU. Perhaps it's somekind of resolver or tachometer? Perhaps you can move the encoder from the small motor to the bigger one if you need to?

I can't help much with the hardware since I don't have the same version but check and recheck that all components (the diode and surounding components especially) is mounted correctly. If you could upload the schematic, board layout and instructions that you are building from here we could take a look at it. (Attach them to a post here please). I don't read German either but I can read a schematic - hopefully...

/Henrik.

Do you get the controller up in the terminal window?
    can you place the controller in analyze mode "A"?

if you turn the motor by hand with the encoder conected but not the motor wires, does a red led start to shine after about 2 to 4 turns? This action should cause a tracking error that exceeds the Error limit and thus sending the controller innto E-stop.

regards
    Chris

yes i tested all the way of wiring..maybe too much...i still dont know if my encoder is ok for uhu...and yes i will change encoder on those bigger motors{btw how big must be motors on a cnc route for a nice speed ..?100..500 w constant power?}
    this are schematic i used.and down on page is tension on board..http://www.gertronik.de/cncecke/servo.zip

about BOB..you use that ? i read is for stepper ..and parallel not serial..is ok?

..and irf..i told you a pictur eis more than words .,your router is very nice goo job but ..pictures with your testing sculpture are better..that is what i want to see that words became practice..keep strait ..

yes i started A but just a vertical line go over and over again one time i pushed my screw drive some where and "a" go crazy..need to restart uhu board other way was like in electrocardiology

i read everywhere is like fashion to apologise for bad english.... i dont want to make discordant note and ar emy first few post till i learn how to be more concentrate ..sorryy.

Quote Originally Posted by benjon View Post
    yes i started A but just a vertical line go over and over again one time i pushed my screw drive some where and "a" go crazy..need to restart uhu board other way was like in electrocardiology
    The vertical line going over and over again is like it is supposed to be
    A going crazy is NOT the way it is supposed to be IF you carefully move the motorshaft back and forth. should be more like a sinus depending on how you moove it. It is easy to see each increment of the encoder here if everything works as it should. At least i can see that in my configuration.
    That you have to restart the uhu is probably not a bad sign.
    Your encoder should work if it is a quadrature output 5v TTL encoder.

Motorsize depends on machine size, required cutting force, acceleration, desired top speed, efficency of drive system etc. in other words impossible for us to say without a lot moore information.
    My biggest motor is rated 140W continous power, and this is way to much in my configuration. i think i now use about 60 - 80 w on each axis and still this goes potentially very fast!

about BOB..you use that ? i read is for stepper ..and parallel not serial..is ok?
    I'm not sure i follow you here, you intend to drive the UHU via the serial line?
    That is not possible.
    I use BOB to ease the interfacing towards the computer.
    When the motor, encoder and UHU controller is set up properly this can be considered a stepper configuration since the interfacing is the same, step and dir signals.

regards
    Chris

ok this are thinks to make later now i must find that my encoder is ok for uhu ..this is first step for me other way i must buy some encoders i have 4 wire on encoder i dont know which is a , b and 2 i think are +and - but which?
    two of them have some bulbs in them into some kinf os plastic isolation..are they ttl arent...
    Attached Files Attached Files

ok this are thinks to make later now i must find that my encoder is ok for uhu ..this is first step for me other way i must buy some encoders i have 4 wire on encoder i dont know which is a , b and 2 i think are +and - but which?
    two of them have some bulbs in them into some kinf os plastic isolation..are they ttl arent...
    I'm no encoder expert but in my oppinion that should work on the UHU controller. It does not really matter if you dont know the A and B channels as long as you know Vcc and GND. Mixing up the A and B channels only result in having to revers motor leads.
    I would believe red is + and black is GND.

chris

Yes, that encoder should work if you get the wiring right. Have you tried doing the tests that Chris outlined earlier:

1) Power up the logic supply to the drive but not the motor power supply. Now turn the motor/encoder, if the Error-LED on the drive comes on after anything between 1/10 to 5 turns the encoder works.

2) Slowly "wobble" the shaft back and forth while watching the UHU-software with the Analyzer active. If you see a wobbly line roughly following your movements of the motorsaft you are in business. If not you need to figure out the correct wiring of the encoder (if it's not broken).

/Henrik.

There is picture of motor,that 2 bulbs on orange and green must be "A"and "B",red + and black -.what do you think ..i will try again with another identical encoder..
    ben
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0473.jpg  

Don't connect it to the UHU initially. Power it up and measure the voltage between ground and the green or orange lead. Now, rotate the motor VERY slowly and you should see the voltage toggle between 0 and 5V. You may have to try it a few times but you should be able to turn to make the output stay at either 0 or 5V (or close to it) depending on how much you turn the shaft. If you're able to do that with both the orange and green lead then those ARE the A and B channels.

Have you removed the heatshrink over the "beads" or "bulbs" to see what's actually under there?

yes i removed ,the wire make a kind of winding into a piece of...something like iron...anyway i tested like you said and nothing always in all configuration only continuous current sometimes 7 volts in place of five...and i used a 5 volt stabilized ups. Tomorrow ill go to a ociloscope is too frustrating ...
    ben

most of us here use the parallel port and yes the BOB doesn't know if you are using stepper or a servo drive - it will just work

the serial port is just used to configure the UHU drive - not to get step and direction signals to it.

RGDS
    Irfan

yes i removed ,the wire make a kind of winding into a piece of...something like iron
    Sounds like some inductors then.... In that case perhaps the green and orange are the power leads to the encoder. Can't imagine anyone putting inductors on the signal leads.... An oscilloscope will help, do that!

Quote Originally Posted by H.O View Post
    Sounds like some inductors then.... In that case perhaps the green and orange are the power leads to the encoder. Can't imagine anyone putting inductors on the signal leads.... An oscilloscope will help, do that!
    That would be very stranger when there are a black an red wires present dont you think?
    Dont you think this is ferrite, dont know why really but it wont be any problem for the signal since it never probably exceeds 100kHz.
    Maybee you could take the encoder apart benjon? the electronics inside mine usdigital encoders were rather simple.
    I could also easy measure the A and B lines in the manner H.O describes.

regards
    Chris

Page 1 of 3 123