585,578 active members*
4,132 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

CNC MASTERS Baron Mill

Hello,

I have been looking at buying a good bench top mill and doing alot of homework before I decide. I was going to get a Taig with the Gecko's but I was approached yesterday by a company that wants me to do their prototyping an short production runs. So now the Taig is just a little to small. I dont want to go all the way to the tormach but maybe just a notch below. I was looking and came across CNC Masters. Has anyone had any experience with this company. They look like they could be a solid choice to put on my list. Anyone else have good luck with any of the "larger" benchtop machines? I have about $12000-$15000 on the table to start with so I need to get a decision made as soon as I can. Most of the work is Aluminum and CRS with a sprinkle of 303 and 304 stainless. Largest part is 6" in any direction. So my work envelope will not need to be larger than 6" in the Y-axis.

Oh

I meant to say I have $12000-$15000 of work on the table. I would like to keep the machine in the $5000-$7000 range. Not including the tooling just the machine. That might make it a little more clear.

Quote Originally Posted by pvellenga View Post
    I meant to say I have $12000-$15000 of work on the table. I would like to keep the machine in the $5000-$7000 range. Not including the tooling just the machine. That might make it a little more clear.
    You might consider stretching the budget just a bit, and getting an Industrial Hobbies machine. It gives you a work envelope equivalent to a Bridgeport, and the best support in the industry. It'll probably be all the machine you never need. WAY more machine for not much more money.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Thanks!

I will look into that also. The think that concerns me is the y-axis travels of these machines. It would be great to get up to 9" and above and not have to go to a large machine. Any machines that are still benchtop that have over 7" of y-axis travels?

The IH mill has around a foot of Y axis travel, and uses servos not steppers. A cut above IMHO.
    http://www.ihcnc.com/pages/bed-mill.php

Joe

Thanks again

I have gotten some great help here in these forums. Thanks for the help! I cant wait to get something going. I miss making chips and making a little money doesnt hurt either!

Whats wrong with a Tormach, the CNC Baron comes in at a minimum of $6,575.00 anyway. It has limited spindle rpm and the Zaxis is only 5" via the quill - big mistake.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by pvellenga View Post
    Hello,

I have about $12000-$15000 on the table to start with so I need to get a decision made as soon as I can.

Tormach

I dont want to go over $7000 but I am not sure yet. This decision is so difficult. Maybe Tormach is the way to go but I dont know. I am worried about footprint and weight. I have a shop set-up in my basement in my home but I am not sure the Tormach will fit. I will have to look at the footprint of the Tormach.