I just aquired a few, 28 in fact, new Pittman ELCOM ST Brushless DC Servo motors; they use 24V and seem ripe for a project - the problem is that I have AMC servo amplifiers that the min voltage rating is 40 VDC; I know that I can limit the PWM command of +/- 10 V input to a max of ~5 volts and still get these to work, but ultimately, I'd like to come up with a controller in the voltage range of these new motors, and save the AMC controllers for any higher voltage motors I have on the shelf. Being I will be getting more of these motors on a frequent basis, I was hoping to come up with a good, inexpensive DIY driver. It would need to provide the commutation for the motor, based on the motor's hall sensors; these motors also come with encoders, but I was planning on using my MESA 7I33 and EMC to run as a closed loop. I've looked at Microchips application notes AN957 and AN885; both "seem" straightforward. Has anyone else tried this approach? The whole concept is not to grab something off the shelf, unless the cost would be under $40USD. I think this'll be a perfect project for the DIYer.