586,009 active members*
4,962 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Stepper Motors size?

I have two slo-syn stepper motors from supierior electric that are rated at 110 oz. in. 5.1v 1.3a. Are these large enough to be used to make a small CNC router for machining wood. Or would I be better off finding a couple larger motors, since I will need to find a third for a z axis anyways?

THanks for your help.

I have the exact same motors. They seem fine for what I've done with the machine so far. I havn't seen the full potential yet as my drivers are crap...Currently building some new ones. You can see my machine here:

http://www.terry-is.f2s.com/

There's not much info on the site about the machine yet, as I'm still working on the site. Lots more picures of the CNC to add. (one day).

You might find some of the pics usefull.

Regards Terry.....

I assume you have these ones....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails motor.jpg  

same stepper

Wow, that is the exact same motor. Thanks for the input. I will be checking you site as I work on my project. I am still in the planning/learning stage.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBean
    I have the exact same motors. They seem fine for what I've done with the machine so far. I havn't seen the full potential yet as my drivers are crap...Currently building some new ones. You can see my machine here:

There's not much info on the site about the machine yet, as I'm still working on the site. Lots more picures of the CNC to add. (one day).

You might find some of the pics usefull.

Regards Terry.....
    Nice machine, how's the drivers comming along? I think I was talking with you on another post somewhere on here about the driver. I have similar motors as well and trying to figure out if they will be powerful enough as well...Do those motos handle your z axis ok with that Porter Cable router attached? Thats not a small peice of machinery...how heavy is that router? What kind of speed are you getting with it? What is the smallest stepper mode it can handle? Full Step, 1/2, 1/4 etc...

Thanks!

I am considering buying Stepper Motors Size 34 in either 640, 1200, or 1700 OZ from tormach.com. What is the advantages of having a higher OZ? Can you use a greater IPM speed for your CNC routing work?

My goal is to reduce the time it takes to mill metal projects (or any wood projects). At higher IPM speeds, the torque goes way down. I was thinking that if I use a higher OZ or torque, then I can go faster and have enough torque at this high speed. Any comments?

Quote Originally Posted by coolman
    I am considering buying Stepper Motors Size 34 in either 640, 1200, or 1700 OZ from tormach.com. What is the advantages of having a higher OZ? Can you use a greater IPM speed for your CNC routing work?

My goal is to reduce the time it takes to mill metal projects (or any wood projects). At higher IPM speeds, the torque goes way down. I was thinking that if I use a higher OZ or torque, then I can go faster and have enough torque at this high speed. Any comments?
    With higher torque, you can use high lead screws (~1/2") to get the high feed and rapid speeds, while still spinning the motor slower where it has more torque.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

>>BobLWeiss wrote:

>>Nice machine.

It's ok. Not the most rigid, but I plan on using it to machine new parts to improve it's self. Total cost so far is around the £200 mark including purchasing Mach2, but not the Makita router.

>>How's the drivers comming along?

Slowly...It took alot of trial and error to get a millable version of the artwork for PICStep, to work well. Now sourcing parts to assemble them.

>>I think I was talking with you on another post somewhere on here about the driver.

Yes. I think so.

>>I have similar motors as well and trying to figure out if they will be powerful enough as well...Do those motos handle your z axis ok with that Porter Cable router attached?

The router is a Makita from the US. Runs real smooth & quiet. I've not machined up the clamps to attach the Makita to the CNC yet, but I have rested it on the Z axis as a test and it does work OK. But due to the crap drivers I have presently, I had to run the Z axis at 2 IPM to keep the torque up. Z is also running 3:1 reduction for extra torque.

>>Thats not a small peice of machinery...how heavy is that router?

2.65Kg

>>What kind of speed are you getting with it? What is the smallest stepper mode it can handle? Full Step, 1/2, 1/4 etc...

At present it's running at 12 IPM with a dremel attached as thats the only working spindle I have a mount for. I really cannot emphasize enough how much difference decent drivers make. The drivers I have at the minute are SUPER-CRAP. These hold back the speed & torque of the steppers more than anything. They run FullStep only and that causes VERY BAD resonance at certain speeds. They have moved the X asis at over 100 IPM, but at certain points along the acceleration curve they loose steps (lots of 'em). That limits me to using speeds below the first bad resonance point. Also they have no PWM (chopper). So that limits me to 5.1V @ 1.3A. At 12 IPM they pull 0.4A @ 5.1V. = (reduced torque). I plan on running the steppers using Alans PICStep boards, at 50V, chopper set to limit current to 1.3A. Should get me more speed and maintain full torque.

I hope that goes some way to answering your questions.

Regards Terry....