585,973 active members*
4,057 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Sieg X3 "hybrid"

Don't know if this is right ,I just registered and I have a question?
    Thinking of buying a SiegX3/hybrid from "Tools Warehouse i" in Cambridge Ontarion canada,it is their MD003,anybody has any advice or experience with this machine?
    Hope I am doing this right,for a 67 year "young" this computer blog seems difficult.
    Any advice is appreciate.

Hi freesbank. Welcome to the Zone!

Do you mean THIS mill:

https://www.machinetoolswarehouse.co...cat=249&page=1

CR.

X3 hybrid

Yes Crevice that is the one I am looking at.
    I just find the 1/2 hp motor a little small ,and I don,t know the maker/reputation of this outfit.
    Any light you can shed on this one?
    Thanks

In a lot of ways, though I have no actual experience with it, I think that mill is inferior to the X3.

I would buy the X3, but that's easy for me to say as I can get it easily here in the US, and I HAVE actual experience with the X3.

CR.

Hi CR...

I think they both seem to have their pros and cons when comparing the specs to each other... In what ways do you feel the MD003 mill is inferior to an X3?

Pat

Hey! I know NOTHING about this mill. My opinion is based solely on the specs, which may or may NOT be accurate. For instance, I can't believe that huge-looking motor is only .5 HP. But if it IS, then that alone is inferior.

Other specs indicate less axis travel, less swing and no variable speed control.

It is also apparently much heavier. (Which MAY be a PLUS if you have a concrete floor to set it on.)

I see no mention of warranty or after sale service. I KNOW what a good warranty Grizzly has.

I know there are many CNC plans/kits available for X3--maybe not for this mill.

It DOES have a nice spindle height to table spec though--If that is accurate.

I prefer the X3. But if you can't get the X3 in Canada, this may DEFINITELY be the better mill.

CR.

Thanks for your trouble CR ,I didn't had a good feeling about this. but that is just from looking.
    Tried to get more info on it ,basically all I get is a "referral to the specs",no warranty or any other explanation.
    It seems definitely like another chinese attempt to copy the Sieg X3, .
    Well on we go with our search in Canada,should have immigrated to the US,for my "hobbies" alone!

Sounds to me like you Canadian guys need to organize a road-trip-to-Grizzly for pickup/X3 group purchase order among you. Anybody with a truck want to start it off?

CR.

Hi Freesbank...

What did you do to try and get more info on this mill?

What do you mean when you say...
    "basically all I get is a "referral to the specs",no warranty or any other explanation."

Did you call or e-mail to get more detailed info on this mill?

As far as the motors go, there is a difference when comparing AC to DC motors. They have very different torque/speed curves. While the MD003 mill is rated at 1/2 hp, it is an AC motor. It's speed is also gear selectable so the rpms of the motor continuously stay within the torque/speed curves optimum range. The X3's speed is electronically variable which can put you at either end of a torque/speed curve where there is not as much power available. That is why it comes with two gear selectable speed ranges. The designers are trying to keep the rpms as close as possible to the middle of the T/S curve where the power is greater. If you are operating outside of the mid range speed with a DC motor, you are not getting the power you think you are getting as stated by the rated HP value. Here is a good page that describes it well...http://lancet.mit.edu/motors/motors3.html

As for additional info about the mill, why don't you call? I would be happy to give you any info you need. I always do my best to give people as many details as I can. If you think the site needs more info, please let me know and I will be happy to add it. It is good to get some feed back.

There is a warranty on the machines. The factory gives 12 months for defects and workmanship. (I guess I could add that as well)

Thanks,
    Pat

Looks like the same mill is offered by www.lathemaster.com

Every thing I hear is LatheMaster is your best bet.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBurton View Post
    Looks like the same mill is offered by www.lathemaster.com

Every thing I hear is LatheMaster is your best bet.
    Now THOSE specs indicate a much larger mill than an X3. If these are the same mill, than those other specs are mostly wrong.

CR.

Freesbank,

"machinetoolswarehouse.com" is a member of the CNC Zone.

I have talked to him several times and he is a really nice guy.

They started importing small milling machines because he could not find what he wanted in Canada.

I would give him a call and find out the exact specs.

His machines are overbuilt "heavy duty" like the overgrown RF45 style Hobby CNC machine.

Welcome to the Zone,

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Note about that mill - it has a 6 speed geared head. The motor will always be providing peak power.

Also like the X3 - these gears are noisy.

This is a runt copy of the IH mill (which I have) it will likely have a more rigid column than an X3 (have one of those too).

I am doing the CNC conversion on the X3, but the IH is in the larger Bridgeport size class and I'll keep it with its DRO as a manual machine.

I personally have never run an X3 before but I do find the gears of the MD003 surprisingly quiet. I don't find the machine noisy at all.

Smile

Pobanion,

Posting "You Tube" video's may curb the rumors being passed around about the performance of the machines you sell.

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

That is a very good idea Jeff... I think I will do that.

Pat

Quote Originally Posted by pobanion View Post
    That is a very good idea Jeff... I think I will do that.

Pat
    Please also make sure the specs on your Website are complete and correct. I have a feeling they are not doing the best selling job for your machine.

Maybe you would like to POINT OUT the advantages of yours over the X3.

CR.

Thanks for the feed back CR...
    But all the specs on my site are correct. As for the completeness goes, that is kind of a function of what information a particular individual is looking for. I try to have the most common specs available for everyone. If someone needs additional info, I would be happy to look that info up for them if they request it. And if I get a lot of requests for the same bit of info, then I will be happy to post it.

I have had calls/e-mails in the past for specs that I would not consider standard and I am always happy to provide them.

I don't think it was ever my intention to directly compete with one specific model (the X3 for example). The specs are available to anyone who does want to make a comparison though. And again if there is something else anyone needs to know... All they have to do is ask.

Thanks,
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by pobanion View Post
    Thanks for the feed back CR...
    But all the specs on my site are correct.
    Specifications
    Size of table: 20.5 x 6.25"
    Y axis travel: 6.25"
    X axis travel: 12.5"
    Motor: 0.5 HP 110V 1 Ph
    Number of speeds: 6
    Range of spindle speed: 115-1700 rpm
    Spindle travel: 3.375"
    Spindle taper: R8
    Drilling capacity: 1"
    Max mill capacity(End/Face): 0.75/2.5"
    Max Dist. spindle nose to table: 17.5"
    Dist. spindle axis to column: 8"
    Swivel angle of headstock: 90°
    Net/gross weight: 396/550 Lbs

Stand sold separately

-18%

Details

SKU SKU16135
    Weight 550.00 lbs
    Price: CDN$1299.99

So motor is 1/2 HP?
    Spindle travel is actually QUILL travel. What is HEAD (Or Z axis) travel?
    So this machine weighs BOTH 396 and 550 pounds? Is that a heavy shipping crate or what?

CR.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 7025FG.jpg  

Yes the motor is 1/2 HP.

The Z travel is listed as...
    Max Dist. spindle nose to table: 17.5"

I listed the 550lbs just as a kind of average. Most of the machines get shipped with a stand packaged with it so the 550lbs includes the weight of the stand and the crate. I repackage them before I ship them out because the factory crates are pretty thin. I use 7/16 OSB on a 2 x 4 crate frame which is a little on the heavy side but a lot stronger than the paper thin factory crates. I have never had any trouble from my shipper with what I list on the BOL as far as the weight goes.

If you are interested in the exact weight of the machine, the stand and the crate I would be happy to look it up for you.

Page 1 of 2 12