584,850 active members*
4,237 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > build/buy cnc router for small rc parts

Question build/buy cnc router for small rc parts

hi all great site donno if this is the right plase to post this ?
    i have done lots for searching on diy cnc routers
    and not shore where i should start. i have looked at the fireball v90 the sable 2015 and all the one like that
    and have the plans for the jgro router. my ? is what would be a good cnc setup for a newb to cnc like me on a tight budget of under 1000 usd im looking for a small setup with a cuting area for about 12in * 12in or so maybe a lil bigger
    im looking to make some rc parts out of plastic and thin aluminum
    thanks for all the help
    an sorry my grammer and spelling suck
    ps sorry if this is unclear i am a.d.d at work and a lil skatter braind at the moment lol

anybody got any advice for me 40 views and not one post
    no love for the cnc newbie come on guys/girls someone
    help me out this is my first post here i have searched this form up and down and thought it was a good site i donno maybe its jus me

Look at cncrouterparts.com They have a new system that looks very good and not alot of $$$$$.

Hope this helps
    Brian

thanks for the reply i thought i was a lost caus i will check em out:cheers:

ok i checked em out very good looking stuff not realy what im looking to do
    im after more of a kit or package to buy and build or a cheap turn key setup
    if all else fails will proly start from scratch

Have you looked at Solsylva's machines? http://www.solsylva.com/

They offer a plans book for three CNC routers, the smallest of which is 13"x13". It may not do what you want the way it's designed, but by combining ideas from the other two machines, I think you could build a sturdy little router.

I'm building the 25x25 with/for my parents, and I was extremely impressed when I went over there and saw the Solsylva plans book a few weeks ago. I'll probably build a little 13x13 after the bigger machine is done, using the steppers and drivers left over from refitting my D&M mill a few years ago.

Check out the Solsylva website, even if you don't like the plans, the webpage is full of helpful information.

yea i have looked there and maybe a good way to go but im leaning more for the sable 2015 or build one like it. what kind of router would i need to cut aluminum a drimel 300 would proly not do the job would it
    what about motors,drivers,controlers,cables,ect. what kind of kits are out there for a good price hobby cnc looks good but dose the kit come with a power supply

that site has got a lot of info thanks

The most important thing to do is to have a really good idea of what you want to accomplish (part size, material and precision) It sounds like you have a good concept for this, but a list is really handy to keep on track.

The next item is - how fast do you want to be working? I think I am in year 2 + of reading, thinking, and scrap heap searching. DIY building is a hobby in itself, never mind the actual goal of making useful parts.

Not to be difficult, but a NEW, complete, running, even home built, for under $1,000 cnc is almost impossible - unless you have extreme focus and are really good at scavenging parts.

It is not just the cnc router you need, it is also software to run the thing, and software to draw / design / convert to machine readable forms. This software will easily cost you 1/2 of your budget already.

Most people, myself included, go into denial about the real cost + time, and just tinker our way over time into a hopefully workable setup.

My suggestion, especially given the budget and the economy, is to look around for a lightly USED, already built system that is demonstrated to actually work already. Look in the adv. on the forum, craigslist, etc.

Another alternative, if your goals are really to make parts sooner than later, is to start searching the forum for people in your area that already have a router and might be willing to sell you access time on it, or help you build the parts you design. If I had my router finished, I would certainly consider to do this for someone. Clearly, it will be idle more than running no matter what I want it to do.

Quote Originally Posted by harryn View Post
    DIY building is a hobby in itself, never mind the actual goal of making useful parts.
    It is not just the cnc router you need, it is also software to run the thing, and software to draw / design / convert to machine readable forms. This software will easily cost you 1/2 of your budget already.
    Most people, myself included, go into denial about the real cost + time, and just tinker our way over time into a hopefully workable setup.

Too true! :cheers: Don't forget tooling! I've heard people say, "You'll spend more on tooling than on the machine itself."... and I believe it.

A running machine is only the first step, don't forget measuring tools, clamping methods, drills, endmills, carbide inserts, drill chucks, endmill holders, flycutters, facemills, coolant, lubricant, and deburring tools. You'll also wish for a bandsaw or other method of sawing stock, perhaps a benchmounted belt grinder/sander, dust collection, and stock material.

It's a full-time job.

thanks for the help. I am only looking to do small work in light aluminum and plastics. as far as software gose im not to concernd i have auto cad and can get the others when it comes time im confadent that i can build the table x y z my main consern is the motors drivers and that side of the router and what would be a good router to get, any advice for that side of my build would be great. as far as tooling gose im not realy intrested in yet. im jus trying to get up and running i do knw you can spend a heap of money there. realy im just looking at building the table and electronics for under 1000 software and tooling not included thanks again for all the help this is my new favorite site next to helifreaks.com