585,597 active members*
3,282 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Events, Product Announcements Etc > News Announcements > Option for V-Carve Text, Not a new software.
Page 1 of 2 12

Option for V-Carve Text, Not a new software.

Hi!
    I have just started doing this so it is a little new to me.

I have recently listed a new way to cut the very nice V-carve text on your CNC without new or additional software. I figured out how to create the geometry required to drive your tool along a curve that gives you the very nice sharp contours and internal corners that are needed for the V-Carved text used in sign making and many other applications. All done in a single pass with a 90° V-Groove cutter.
    Please look at my listing on Ebay and let me know what you think. Look for VCarve Text Data for CNC Routers, Mills and Sign Making Item No.: 130286650805. I made this text set because I spent all of my money making my own CNC Router.

I am attempting to sell Lines, Arch’s, and Splines that are configured in 3D space. I have created a full set of text, numbers and special characters for one font type that can be purchased. After you have this geometry you can copy, paste, rotate and scale the geometry in any way with your current CAD or CAM program as many times as you want. It is just like any other geometry you use every day.

Please let me know what you think of this optional way of cutting V-Carve text. It is not the do everything program but it will allow you to cut V-Carve text with your current software and machine. Once you figure it out it is very easy to place each letter for cutting.

I have attached a sample letter A in DWG and DXF format so you can download it I think and try to cut it on your machine (if you need the IGES file let me know and I will send it to you).
    If you can't download it E-Mail me at [email protected] and I will send you a copy for test cutting.

Thanks!

Nils
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P2080304.jpg   baskerville Si iso.jpg   baskerville Si front.jpg   baskerville old face full sign.jpg  

Attached Files Attached Files

What is the cost?

It is only $35.00 USD per font set. As I get additional font sets I will give discounts to people that have purchased before.

Revised Price!

I have lowered the price to $25.00 on Ebay for the full set of text. I know that if you understand what is being sold and how to work with it you will be very happy with the product you can produce.
    It is very easy to work with the text once you understand that it is just Lines, Arcs and Splines.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!

If you need one font, or very few fonts, then this would be a great deal.

How do you set the depth of the letters? What about a large letter in a thin piece of wood - can that be done? It seems that the larger the letter is, the deeper your cut would be, right?

Gary

Reply to Gary.

I have only done one font as of now but am working on (4) others.

If you go to Ebay and check out the font I have for sale it explaines the complete process of how to use the data.

All you need to do is zero your tool on the top surface of your material. After that the geometery controlls the depth of the tool. I used a 3D engrave function in BobCad Cam. It is super easy to program.

You are correct in regards to the size of the letter. If you cut a larger letter the cut will get deeper. You can only use a 90° V-Cutter for this data. The geometery was created using this cutter configuration.

This font selection was chosen as the first due to it's standard appearence for overall use. It is very cool to watch as the machine goes through the moves. It is amazing how fast the text cuts due to the single line tool path that is created.

Let me know if you have any additional questions. If you get a minute download the sample text and try it on your machine.

For the cost I feel it is a great deal! Of course I would feel that way.

Thanks!

Nils

Quote Originally Posted by Nils View Post
    You are correct in regards to the size of the letter. If you cut a larger letter the cut will get deeper. You can only use a 90° V-Cutter for this data. The geometery was created using this cutter configuration.
    I think that those would be the only drawbacks to what you have created. For what I do I can't see being limited on the font size by the thickness of the material. As well, I wouldn't like being limited to one cutter. I use Vcarve Pro and can use any font, cutter, depth that I choose. Of course, I paid a bit more for it than you want for your work...

Oh, and you might want to consider renaming your "product" - Vectric may not like you using the name of their software...

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by LaserImage View Post
    I think that those would be the only drawbacks to what you have created. For what I do I can't see being limited on the font size by the thickness of the material. As well, I wouldn't like being limited to one cutter. I use Vcarve Pro and can use any font, cutter, depth that I choose. Of course, I paid a bit more for it than you want for your work...

Oh, and you might want to consider renaming your "product" - Vectric may not like you using the name of their software...

Gary
    I did not think about the name thing. That may not be a bad idea. I guess I was just thinking more about the process and not the name when I started doing this.
    I will have to come up with something that still makes people think of this type of process.

Thanks!

Hi, the idea is very useful - if you have CAD, which I don't (yet), but I am playing with some none autocad type simple CAM programs. These can import gcode into them.

I was wondering if it makes any sense to offer the gcode of a few different sizes for individual letters. The idea is that I could take the gcode for each letter and plug it into the gcode for the overall design - just have the machine step over the the new, correct starting point. Maybe this makes sense, maybe not.

The other aspect I wondered about is that it seems that your approach cuts the letter in one single pass. Sometimes, it is useful to do a roughing pass and then go through the cut again taking off just a bit more.

Obviously, this complicates life, but it is done, esp. on metal cutting.

Nonetheless, I like the basic idea, I just need to figure out how to use it.

hi guyz...
    i just considering on something...i saw the name baskerville old face... its a very tricky things... named copyright... doesn't matter how much you work on, if you started to derivate of a copyrighted things you violate copyright.. if i should do some similar, i'm sure first i contact a smart lawyer..
    if you use your own idea, or derivate of old stuff they already has not copyright that's ok... but the baskerville ol face is under copyright... and in america it's don't says good...
    have a good luck...
    otherwise about 4-5 hundred bucks anyone already can buy program and use ANY typeset to produce these things... u can sell your work, but in this situation you try to sell a digital typeset.....

New Photos.

Here are a couple new photos of a demo sign I just made.

They are made out of MDF and painted red. I wanted to make a few samples to give to a couple local sign shops and see if I could get some sign business.

This one took about one hour to layout the design and text. The text data is at two different Z elevations. I cut out the shape and pocket area first and then did the V-Carving. It was fairly simple and easy to do and the final results look great.

Tahnks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1010012.jpg   P1010013.jpg  

Just a note!

Go to the first post and you can download sample text and test it on your machine!

Thanks!

Nils

Quote Originally Posted by victorofga View Post
    hi guyz...
    i just considering on something...i saw the name baskerville old face... its a very tricky things... named copyright... doesn't matter how much you work on, if you started to derivate of a copyrighted things you violate copyright.. if i should do some similar, i'm sure first i contact a smart lawyer..
    if you use your own idea, or derivate of old stuff they already has not copyright that's ok... but the baskerville ol face is under copyright... and in america it's don't says good...
    have a good luck...
    otherwise about 4-5 hundred bucks anyone already can buy program and use ANY typeset to produce these things... u can sell your work, but in this situation you try to sell a digital typeset.....
    I'm still looking for affordable sign software, where is this 4-5 hundred dollar program you refer too ?

look at for vectric... with cut2d you already can make signs... 150...
    well the vcarve pro not 500... 590... but as my private opinion... it makes same like the big brand names,
    possible you were looking as sign... vcarve pro is a pro program... sign up for the vectric forum, and you will see...
    trust me, this company is really ""professional""" they not only advertising their program...

and the support is unmatched... there were no any difficulties, that the forum would not help trough who asked...

these people will raise this program to the top.. their other program aspire makes everything you can dream... you can start with cut2d and after made some money, you upgrade... they count on you...then vcarve pro will cost only 500...

I second.. Vectric is best in all respect
    http://free3dscans.blogspot.com/ http://my-woodcarving.blogspot.com/
    http://my-diysolarwind.blogspot.com/

I beleive Vcarve Pro is exactly what I need, and, I'm already a member of the Vectric Forum. I have even used the free 3d version and cut a few 3d objects from the 3d art gallery. However, Cut2d will not let me add leads to an open contour, which I need for the specific project I built the CNC for, but Vcarve will. It also does not support V carving.
    I'm just a hobbyist, and $600 is just too much for me, that's why I was asking about the $400 stuff. I like the product, the support I see, and the large forum, just can't go $600 right now.

nice work nils. i saw your ad on ebay and followed link, its nice to see someone making there own way in the world.

hi,
    as you have it clear how to do it I wonder why don't you work out clear formulas and implement them in a small program which will generate gcode or stl files/ better/ from letters. Then you will just spend your time creating outlines from free fonts and caching money :-). At the end there are out there about 10 000 users who will buy your program if its cheap under 100$
    Vectric V carve does exactly the same in fact/it does much more of course/ , you put whatever font outlines and it generates for a second the V-carve file

at silyavski

well... writing a program can be difficult... however vcarving programs, 8-10... migthbe more out on the market..
    all of them is cost as much their owner ask.. some of them, with more knowledge, cost about 1/3 like vcarvepro...
    up to you to find and use... if you like a program, buy it and use it...

some program, works just like a wellknown 8K priced program for modeling and vcarving...
    however the company who makes it, they dont sell the program... they are so """mean"" they just give it free with their moldmaking machine... and you just can not get gcode output of that program...

program has features for machining, like the the 8000 program far dont have...

for people never minded on programs looks impossible to make... others who spending their days on a monitor, they can say its not...

experts that they can make a program like this, they just earn with their job easily 10-20K...
    they dont care what youre using... they dont want to deal users, who try to skip 3 year school and jumping in cnc...
    because this is whats going on... why users looking for support? because they think without any prior knowledge they could take a machinist work...
    they buying router, and looking for program that makes with one click everything.. wont happen... period...

programming just like chinese... if you ask me, i dont feel i could learn it.. many people willl know never chinese...
    but in fact every 4th one on the earth speaks chinese.. and they say, chinese is the simplest...

that was easy :-)

for our luck cnc developing by million users, engineers, programmers...

what you using today programs, before not too long time, people just calculated with calculator... with no programs... all these programs on desktop computer popped up after late 80s...
    so you dont have to be so sure.... tomorrow someone make it.. and you can download from sourceforge...

I don't know how!

silyavski,

I made up the CAd geometery because I wnated to do some V-Carving of text and could not afford to by another program. I am a Mech. Eng. and my background is machine design and a little CNC programming. I am not a controlls / programmer type. Making a program is just over my head and would blow my mind. I made the 3D geometery for someone that just wnats to do some V-Carving on the small scale side of things. This is not the do everything Vetric type of software.
    If you wnat a sample letter A let me know and I can send it to you to try. I made my own CNC router, use Mach3 and Bobcad cam and it works great. It took several days to figure out how to make the geometery but after that it became fairly easy to make a letter.
    It just take time.

Thanks for the recent post!

Page 1 of 2 12