585,922 active members*
3,772 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Open Source CNC Machine Designs > 2'x3' Free Router Plans - All Aluminum and Steel, Completely Bolt together
Page 1 of 23 12311
    Well done. This kind of kit is exactly what a lot of people need and will help them be successful in building their own router. Hopefully you will have other size options in the future, I could see: 12x24, 18x36, 24x48, 48x96 - all usable sizes.

It would also be smart to partner with Gecko and Keling to provide drive/stepper/psu kits that are suited for the router.

The only suggestion/question I have on the design is that the Z axis hangs a long way out from the gantry. There are ways to use Ahren's trucks and still get it more centered over the X axis. One is to have the 1/4" steel plate mounted on the back side of the gantry, opposite from the side the Z axis is on. It's harder to describe than to draw, if you are interested I can put together a crude drawing to give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

Other than that, it looks great!

Gary

Could you post a drawing? I'm asking because I too thought the z was too far out from the gantry but, had no idea how to fix it with those bearing tracks.

Thanks!
    Mick

Quote Originally Posted by Mick40 View Post
    Could you post a drawing? I'm asking because I too thought the z was too far out from the gantry but, had no idea how to fix it with those bearing tracks.

Thanks!
    Mick
    I'll try to put something together over the next few days.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by LaserImage View Post
    Well done. This kind of kit is exactly what a lot of people need and will help them be successful in building their own router. Hopefully you will have other size options in the future, I could see: 12x24, 18x36, 24x48, 48x96 - all usable sizes.

It would also be smart to partner with Gecko and Keling to provide drive/stepper/psu kits that are suited for the router.

The only suggestion/question I have on the design is that the Z axis hangs a long way out from the gantry. There are ways to use Ahren's trucks and still get it more centered over the X axis. One is to have the 1/4" steel plate mounted on the back side of the gantry, opposite from the side the Z axis is on. It's harder to describe than to draw, if you are interested I can put together a crude drawing to give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

Other than that, it looks great!

Gary
    Gary,

I am planning on releasing more plans with kits to back them. Ahren is working on a cheap rack and pinion drive system and I am working on longer rails with the goal of creating 48x48, 48x72, and 48x96 system. I have planned a smaller Taig/Sherline type CNC that can do Aluminum and Steel, a 2'x3' dual drive setup, and a fixed gantry 12x24. One thing at a time though.

I plan on selling electronic kits. Partnering with a drive supplier is an option I want to pursue. The eventual goal is to be able to offer the electronics as a kit, where you get an enclosure for everything to go in, power supply, motor controllers, BoB, limit switch wiring, motors, etc. and complete instructions on how to wire it all together. Another thing that is coming, but probably a little bit down the line still. I have a lot of work still to do on this kit.

As far as the Z-Axis hanging out, that is a concern we have considered. The design has been used in other routers without issue so in the name of simplicity that is why I chose the design. Another way to center the cutter over the Z-Axis is to use a custom gantry support like the pictures in the top post here. I would like to see your drawing though.

Regards,

Nate Lowrie

Nate
    I get a "page not found" when I click on the "here" in your post.

Great looking router you have there, I am looking into building a cnc router myself, and you may have just provided the opening I have been looking for. I know you have not completed building the machine but have a few questions for interested builders like myself:
    • What types of materials can we cut with this machine?
    • I see in another post you have the cost for individual kits to complete the machine, what will be the final cost of the complete kit?
    • In conjunction with the last question, what will be the complete cost (estimated) of the whole machine including the complete kit, and electronics? (Exclude router, and software cost)

Looking forward to seeing this machine up and running.

Quote Originally Posted by lovebugjunkie View Post
    Nate
    I get a "page not found" when I click on the "here" in your post.
    Oops. Try http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=193

Quote Originally Posted by BuckingFastards View Post
    Great looking router you have there, I am looking into building a cnc router myself, and you may have just provided the opening I have been looking for. I know you have not completed building the machine but have a few questions for interested builders like myself:
    • What types of materials can we cut with this machine?
    • I see in another post you have the cost for individual kits to complete the machine, what will be the final cost of the complete kit?
    • In conjunction with the last question, what will be the complete cost (estimated) of the whole machine including the complete kit, and electronics? (Exclude router, and software cost)

Looking forward to seeing this machine up and running.
    Well, this router is based off of best features of several proven designs. I will try to have one up and running soon. To answer your questions, I know that it will do very well in Wood and Plastic. Given the performance of some other routers with similar designs and construction, I believe it should be able to cut through non-ferrous metals like aluminum and brass. You may not be able to take deep cuts, but you should be able to get a nice finish.

I have not finalized the pricing for the complete kit, though it should be around $1250. Shipping will vary depending on the region of the country you are in. The electronics are your choice. The HobbyCNC kit is a nice starter electronics package. Coupled with a transformer, expect around $300 for the package. It will be more if you want a better drive system like Gecko's.

Regards,

Nate

Quote Originally Posted by solodex2151 View Post
    I would like to see your drawing though.
    Nate - here is a quick drawing of my idea. Little details like stepper mounts still need to be worked out, but I think this is a workable start.

Gary
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails z axis.jpg  

Talking

Well, this router is based off of best features of several proven designs. I will try to have one up and running soon. To answer your questions, I know that it will do very well in Wood and Plastic. Given the performance of some other routers with similar designs and construction, I believe it should be able to cut through non-ferrous metals like aluminum and brass. You may not be able to take deep cuts, but you should be able to get a nice finish.

I have not finalized the pricing for the complete kit, though it should be around $1250. Shipping will vary depending on the region of the country you are in. The electronics are your choice. The HobbyCNC kit is a nice starter electronics package. Coupled with a transformer, expect around $300 for the package. It will be more if you want a better drive system like Gecko's.

Regards,

Nate
    Wow around $1500 depending on the electronics route you take, to have a working machine, isn't bad at all. Along with the capability of cutting more than plastic and wood, I say this is a very feasible project. I will be awaiting the finish of your machine, am looking forward for a project such as this.

Will the kit include everything? I mean apart from the electronics portion (controller/driver, steppers etc) It will have the entire frame, hardware lead screws etc?

sorry if I am posting in the wrong section/thread

Quote Originally Posted by slisgrinder View Post
    Will the kit include everything? I mean apart from the electronics portion (controller/driver, steppers etc) It will have the entire frame, hardware lead screws etc?

sorry if I am posting in the wrong section/thread

The kit will include the entire frame, fasteners, leadscrews and components to connect them to the motor, bearing blocks, linear motion carriages and rails, motor mounts, etc. In other words EVERYTHING you need to build the kit, all ready to be assembled. Even the screws to connect the motors to the motor mounts are included.

There is one thing that is not included, and that is a router mount. Those you can get from the K2CNC site or they have one's on E-Bay regularly. You will also need a router and the electronics.

Does this clear things up?

Regards,

Nate

There is one thing that is not included, and that is a router mount.
    OK, but what about the kitchen sink? You said it includes everything...

yup, that clears things up. any "projected" time when the full kit is available? also if I wanted to mill metal with this, what modification would I have to do?

Plan in pdf

Hello solodex2151,
    Do you any detail plan in pdf file? Thanks. Asuratman.

Figure about 2 weeks for the kit. It is close, I just have to do some final modifications.

A PDF version of the plan is coming as well. Expect it soon.

Nate

Hi,
    just for an input or feedback on your modification, it is better to have x axis with 2 servo motor like this
    http://cgi.ebay.com/3D-CNC-ROUTER-MI...em260363060809
    The size is almost the same, but if you have all servo motor on all axis, it may machine steel. Your machine may be the strongest in this zone. Thanks. Asuratman.

I was planning on getting this kit, but then the "Little Brute" made by Fandz stole my attention. I really want to design and build my own, I just never found (I have bad searching skills) any metal milling machines that were to my liking, either they were too expensive to build or just were too big and expensinve. But yes, i plan on having a similar design like the Little Brute and have 2 steppers for each X and Y axis and a single for the Z. This is the stepper I was thinking of, the 425 oz/in one...

Hi all,
    Thought I'd chime in here as well. Nate, thanks for posting the plans here. Looks like good interest in them!
    I have gotten a lot of requests for machines with dual drives on the gantry. There really isn't a reason you can't do this at the moment, it just requires wider rails, which you will currently have to drill yourself. I'd definitely recommend this for machines wanting more aggressive cuts or harder materials, or machines with wider gantry spans. However, the current design has proved out in multiple build logs for wood and plastic cutting with limited gantry spans, so that's why it got released first.
    I'm a little tied up developing a rack and pinion drive system at the moment, but hope to work on plans for a dual driven machine soon. Appreciate all of the feedback in this thread!

Best regards,

Ahren
    www.cncrouterparts.com

Parts Bundles for the FLA100-00 Router Kit are available for purchase here

Page 1 of 23 12311