584,817 active members*
4,686 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Building Joe's '06

So, I finally got Joe's '06 kit and, eventhough a bit scared, will probably do it myself because it's more fun that way. If something goes wrong I'll probably bug Kent, lol

One question I have so far:

Why is the torsion box offset to the left? The cutouts that hold pipes on the right are longer than the ones on the left.

Glueing things together. The DWG files are very self-explanatory after I studied them. I'll post pictures soon.

-BK

Edit: Just noticed that on R-2 plans the torsion box is flipped the other way, any reason for that? The left side is longer then the right (pipe holder things).

Edit#2: It seems that both plans are named R-2, one has more of the pipe holders on the right and one has them on the left. I assume I want them on the left because the box to the right (on the gantry assembly) is offesting the torsion box. So having the longer holders on the left will put it in the middle. Am I right?

Bogdan,

Sent you an Email .. Make sure to dry fit everything.. take plenty of pictures. Have fun ... You can come by anytime look at mine and will always try to answer all your questions and help when ever I can

Kent

Thanks, Kent. Hope you get better soon.

-BK

Did any of you guys apply any sort of glue for hdpe or just bolted it on without any adheseve? I'm using Probond to glue MDF.

Yes having the torsion box off centered makes up the difference of the Bearing Block Housing and centers it within the Gantry.

Makes sense.

Hey, I'm confused on the aluminum angles required for the tracks. Manual says: 1-1/4"x1-1/4"x1/8" Aluminum When I went to the store they looked at me like deer in the headlights..... I'm a newbie, so I don't understand those dimensions and could not explain it to them.

Also, HDPE did not have holes in the places where one would screw in bolts... Do I have to drill and tap them?

Angle

[QUOTE=bkboggy;569076]Makes sense.

Hey, I'm confused on the aluminum angles required for the tracks. Manual says: 1-1/4"x1-1/4"x1/8" Aluminum When I went to the store they looked at me like deer in the headlights..... I'm a newbie, so I don't understand those dimensions and could not explain it to them. QUOTE]

The legs of the angle would be 1 1/4" long outside and the thickness of the materials legs would be 1/8"

Angle Size

Quote Originally Posted by bkboggy View Post
    I'm confused on the aluminum angles required for the tracks. Manual says: 1-1/4"x1-1/4"x1/8"
    The attached picture should help with the angle size information.

Same as chester1957 mentioned above, it is LEG X LEG X THICKNESS.

I hope your build is fun for you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Angle Size.jpg  

Thank you, Weldtutor and chester1957, that makes sense.

So, the HDPE that came in the kit has holes only for leadscrew and not the bolts. Do I just drill and tap them or how do I go about it?

Also, I am having issues finding the 1.25x1.25 aluminum angles. Every place has 1 and 1.5, but no 1.25..... Where did you guys get yours?

By the way, I am wondering, how come it says to use 3/4" drill rods on Z-Axis? The Y-Axis galvanized pips are 3/4" as well, how come no one uses those on Z-Axis?

boggy,
    I get all my metals from Speedy Metal on the net.
    https://www.speedymetals.com/pc-2182...-extruded.aspx

Great price, fast shipping and great selection.
    Dave

Thanks, Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by bkboggy View Post
    Also, I am having issues finding the 1.25x1.25 aluminum angles. Every place has 1 and 1.5, but no 1.25..... Where did you guys get yours?

By the way, I am wondering, how come it says to use 3/4" drill rods on Z-Axis? The Y-Axis galvanized pips are 3/4" as well, how come no one uses those on Z-Axis?
    BK,

The pipes are 3/4", but that is on the inside diameter (ID)of the pipe. The 3/4" drill rod measures 3/4" on the outside diameter (OD). The drill rod is solid. If a solid rod was used for the Y axis, the machine would be nearly twice as heavy as it is now. Also, unlike the pipes, the finish on drill rod is preground.

Hope this helps.

Makes sense, thanks.

Sorry for not having any pictures yet, guys. I've been a bit busy so didn't have much time to work on my machine. Most of the things are glued together and in two weeks (when I get to go over there again) I'll be able to paint and assemble everything. So, in two weeks this thing should be put together, except the electronic components.

Question: How do I install the dumpstercnc stuff?

And, also, since I got everything you can get for Joe's 2006 from dumpstercnc, do I still need to use those HDPE small pieces (smaller anti-backlash blocks) that fit acme nuts in them, since I won't be using those acme nuts?

Well, looks like I found the answer to my question.

http://cnczone.com/forums/showpost.p...6&postcount=30

I can see how anti-backlash nut is installed, couplers are pretty self-explanatory (joins motor and the acme screw) and those clamps go on the other side and hold the spring under tension. Just instead of a nut on the other side of the spring, I'll put a washer, so that it doesn't restrain the spring from putting tension on the screw.

Did I get it right?

What size bolts do you guys use on the dumpster cnc nuts?

Alright, just ordered everything for a computer to be built. Also ordered gecko 540, KL23H276-28-4B (2 motors), KL23H284-35-4B (1 motor), KL-350-48 power supply, E-Stop switch, 6 limit switches (from keling) and 6 home switches (the one on ebay come 6 in a pack). Waiting for the offer to be approved for the servo wire and that'll be pretty much it.

All the bearings came in on Thursday and I found a metal shop in the area that will cut proper size drill rods and aluminum angles (maybe they'll even drill me the holes... hmmm, gotta ask).

Also found the place that sells all kinds of MDF (top and bottom of the torsion box), since Home Depot and Lowe's in the area are running out of choices and both said they are not ordering any more for the time being due to the economy... whatever.

Sorry that I haven't had any pictures yet, but I promise that I will have them this coming weekend. I'll be painting and assembling stuff over in Riverside and then bring all the electronics to put together here to Lemoore. We'll see how it'll go.

-BK

Alright, so I got some progress this weekend and I've primed all the parts. I also got all of my electronics (but, go figure, forgot them in Riverside because I was in a rush). I've also assembled a nice AMD/ASUS/ATI workstation capable of running all the 3d/cad/cam software with ease. The motherboard has a parallel port, which is awesome (hard to find new motherboards that still have that port).

In two weeks I'll paint all the parts, finish polishing of the pipes, assemble the tracks and assemble all the HDPE stuff. So, hopefully we'll have all the hardware stuff together.

As far as electronics go, I have:

Kelings motors
    Kelings power supply
    Gecko 540 (and the connectors it came with)
    Home switches
    Limit switches
    EStop switch
    50ft of stepper wire

So, what else do I need? What kind of wire would I use to wire those things together (except the obvious stepper wire for the motors)?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF5231.JPG   DSCF5234.JPG   DSCF5235.JPG   DSCF5229.JPG  

DSCF5230.JPG  

looks clean did you cut them out with another CNC router.

Page 1 of 2 12