584,842 active members*
4,523 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > 4th axis turns to many turns

4th axis turns to many turns

when you are using a 4th axis and you are using the rotary (A axis) and then you post it will give you A-60.,A-120.,A-180,AND ECT, but when you run it on the A axis it will move all the way to -60.inches then it will drill then move all the way to -120.inches then it will drill then to -180.inches then drill ,ect.
    how can i tell it to only rotate 1/6 of a turn then drill.
    I know you can just divede 1 divede 6 equals .1666666666666 but is there a way were MC can do that for you.
    pleasse bare with me as I have no experiance in 4axis.

Can you post a section of your progam that involves the A-axis, to check what actually is output ?

A-axis output is supposed to be in degrees, it seems your post is a little messed up ????
    Seeing "inches" is very strange, as this field is independant to machining units used.

If modified, can you roll back to your 1st post, and try that.

Note!!!!--- copy your post before doing any alterations

it does post in degress the thing is on my dro when moving 60 degress it is moving 60 inches so unless I did not set my motors right by the way I am useing mach 3 as a contrroller. and also I dont have an actually rotory table I just mounted the motor on a L- BRACKET all i really want is to see how to program the 4th axis. actully this is a project I did at school.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Sorry, I don't have any experience with Mach3, but looking at your code, is seems as what I would expect.
    So, no probs with your post- (A-OK), my advice stops here

:drowning:O COME ON YOUR SUPERMAN YOUR SUPPOSE TO BE THE HERO THAT SAVES THE DAY.
    JUST KIDDING IT IS ABOUT 4:00 AM AND JUST TRYING TO FIGURE THIS THING OUT. TO SEE HOW IT WORKS.
    BUT THANKS FOR TAKING THE TIME ON HELPING ME OUT.
    HOPEFULLY THERE IS SOMEONE OUT THERE WHO CAN HELP ME OUT.:cheers:

Ok, I'll bite back
    It seems it may be a motor control issue , mastercam outputs the axis control in degrees, somewhere this angle has to be converted into motor movement.

Usually a motor has directoin of rotation contol ( CW or CCW ),this motion quite often is transfered to the faceplate by worm gear, giving greater control of positioning . This is where direct feed can be used whilst cutting, but there are other factors that come into play ie backlash, vibration , etc
    Another method is as a positioning axis only, using a "curvic coupling" ( radially curved gears ) , where the faceplate is lifted, rotated to an angle, and the re-engaged with the coupling,( this is the best for heavy work as vibration, backlash etc. are nearly eliminated )
    The issues with the last method is it is positioning only, and limited to a set angle of increment, say 1 or 5 deg

The faceplate should have an encoder directly attached, for converting pulses, somehow or something like that, so that the machine knows where it's at.

A goood example is a "Dividing Head" , you turn the handle a certain number of turns and then lock it up. Now replace that handle with a motor, and a method of counting turns, and a clamp system. Hey presto, a rotary axis.

How'd I go ??

Quote Originally Posted by Superman View Post
    Ok, I'll bite back
    It seems it may be a motor control issue , mastercam outputs the axis control in degrees, somewhere this angle has to be converted into motor movement.

Usually a motor has directoin of rotation contol ( CW or CCW ),this motion quite often is transfered to the faceplate by worm gear, giving greater control of positioning . This is where direct feed can be used whilst cutting, but there are other factors that come into play ie backlash, vibration , etc
    Another method is as a positioning axis only, using a "curvic coupling" ( radially curved gears ) , where the faceplate is lifted, rotated to an angle, and the re-engaged with the coupling,( this is the best for heavy work as vibration, backlash etc. are nearly eliminated )
    The issues with the last method is it is positioning only, and limited to a set angle of increment, say 1 or 5 deg

The faceplate should have an encoder directly attached, for converting pulses, somehow or something like that, so that the machine knows where it's at.

A goood example is a "Dividing Head" , you turn the handle a certain number of turns and then lock it up. Now replace that handle with a motor, and a method of counting turns, and a clamp system. Hey presto, a rotary axis.

How'd I go ??
    OK i AM BACK AT THIS AGAIN BUT MOST OF THE STUFF YOU JUST MENTION MAKES SENCE. BUT i JUST HAVE TO UDERSTANDING MAYBE AFTER I READ IT A THOUSAND TIMES A CAN SEE A CLEAR PICTURE AND i CAN SEE WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT.
    THANKS