585,894 active members*
5,252 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Uncategorised CAD Discussion > deciding which CAD software to purchase

deciding which CAD software to purchase

im currently running on trial versions of autocad 2009 and solidworks 2009, autocad 2008 i used before, and i was becoming rather efficient with that trial, and with the 2009 release they changed the entire interface..

ive been using solidworks the last few days, and it doesnt seem as powerful a tool as autocad.. so im thinking of passing up on solidworks.. does anyone know of any other high end CAD software i should give a try for designing? or is autocad 2009 worth getting used to the new interface?

im a luthier and im upgrading my business to produce my own line of guitars...

You decision will mostly be affected by your needs in a CAD program and how much experience you have in each one.

If you like AutoCAD a lot then you should use it, but if you want to make 3D models, it would be a much better choice to use another program, like SolidWorks. You can make 3D models in AutoCAD but it’s a lot harder and confusing, in my opinion. If you used AutoCAD it would be more like computerized drafting, as in having to draw every detail and view manually. AutoCAD 2010 just came out recently, and it works a lot better with 3D Don’t get me wrong, I really like AutoCAD and I use it often, but how useful it is really depends on what you’re trying to do with it.

By the way, if you don't like the new 2009 interface you can switch back to the old style easily: in the bottom right corner of the AutoCAD window there are a bunch of icons. There’s one for switching workspaces, its icon is just a gear. Click on it and choose “AutoCAD Classic” in the pop-up menu and then you’ll have you familiar menus and toolbars back.

SolidWorks is a really powerful program, but it’s also very complex. It will take some time to get proficient with it but by then you will be able to easily make 3D models, which makes designing anything much easier. You should look online for tutorials so you can learn more about it before you make a decision. Also, looking for books about AutoCAD and SolidWorks online or at a local library is a great idea.

Another program you might want to check out is Inventor. In my CAD class at school, we learned AutoCAD first and then went on to use Inventor. It really wasn’t that hard for anyone there to make the switch and it’s made by the same company as AutoCAD so it is more similar to AutoCAD that most other CAD software. Inventor is a lot like SolidWorks and other major CAD programs. One advantage that SolidWorks has over Inventor is it lets you create smooth surfaces that aren't based on 2D profiles, which you might need in designing instuments. One other option is Alibre, which offers a totally free CAD program for download. It has most of the features of other major CAD programs.

I think in your case of designing instruments, you should go with SolidWorks or Inventor. However they are both expensive in comparison to AutoCAD, you should try each of your options more and learn about them before you make a decision, try out pretty much anything you can get your hands on. Good luck!

AutoCAD LOL
    I find it hard to believe they still spend development money on that crap when there is MCAD to be had.
    SolidWorks is it.
    OTOH Inventor is worth considering but SW is the market share - just like AC used to be 15+ years ago.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

Hi. AutoCAD has about 85% market share and has been the standard since it came out so don't be too quick to dismiss it. I used AutoCAD for years starting in the 80s and it worked fine for me.

A few years ago, I tried Rhino 3D. Not the same, I know, and not intended for the same application. But, I have used it exclusively for CAD type work and have not come across any significant limitations when compared to AutoCAD or others. I've been able to draw commercial and military spec'd products in Rhino without a problem. I have gotten my wants and needs coded in there too by simply contacting the Rhino Dev team, a bunch of great people.

One added bonus is that I'm able to render a 3D picture that would be hard to tell apart from an actual finished product. I send that to my customers for their approval before it has even left my computer. I can rotate the 3D rendering anyway they like so they get to see it from all angles. I can integrate my PCB and other parts right in it and see how they fit. I'm not sure what else the latest version of AutoCAD can do but I'm pretty happy with Rhino.

JR

PS: I've seen some real awesome stuff done in SolidWorks as well.