585,705 active members*
4,302 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Where NOT to put your toolsetter.

Where NOT to put your toolsetter.

I had a tool change error this evening. It happened on the change to the probe. Well I hit recover, and put something soft under the tool changer (couple of pieces of foam) and it dropped fine.... but it got the crash pin on my tool setter. I think I will move the tool setter to the opposite side of the table now.

Tim

I've been through the recover process a few times and I have one question: Why didn't you catch the tool??

Quote Originally Posted by Matt@RFR View Post
    I've been through the recover process a few times and I have one question: Why didn't you catch the tool??
    I put a pillow and two pieces of styrofoam down. I did not realize it would break the toolsetter so easily. I will definantly put a hard cover over the toolsetter from now on.

Tim

I have never had the nerve to try and catch the tool; I always use the box filled with foam rubber approach.

I do not want to add to the collection of scars on my fingers.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    I have never had the nerve to try and catch the tool; I always use the box filled with foam rubber approach.

I do not want to add to the collection of scars on my fingers.
    I thought about trying to catch it but tools are cheaper than a new arm

What does the "recover" operation do? Sounds like it ejects a tool from the spindle? Or is the danger from getting one's hand between the tool changer and spindle?
    Thanks,
    Ralph

If something happens to trigger an alarm during a toolchange the machine stops. Then when the alarm is cleared, if the toolchanger will still function the machine may not know where things are so it may try to retract the shuttle with the spindle still down over the tool, bring the shuttle in with a full pocket and a tool in the spindle or other unpredictable behaviour.

The Recover procedure steps through asking questions such as 'is the pocket empty', 'is there a tool in the spindle', etc., and you press N or Y for it to continue. Sometimes the spindle may be partly retracted from putting a tool in the pocket and this tool may fall out or get knocked out when the spindle moves so it is a good idea to put something under it.

When it is a case of the spindle over a tool in the pocket it is risky to get your hand near because you cannot guarantee it will not kick sideways when things move.

I see the confusion. I have a side mount tool changer and it sounds like it's much less risky to hold the tool during the recover process.

With a SMTC, you manually (repeatedly pushing the ATC forward/reverse button) move the arm back to its home. I think it's in 1º incriments so it's easy to see if there is a bad situation developing. Plus, if there's any unordinary loads on the arm, you can see that the arm is slightly bent so you know to be more cautious.

Finally got my Marposs manual today.

In the directions it says "it is a good idea to mount your toolsetter on the right side of the table away from your tool changer"

Oh well.....

Quote Originally Posted by behindpropeller View Post
    Finally got my Marposs manual today.

In the directions it says "it is a good idea to mount your toolsetter on the right side of the table away from your tool changer"

Oh well.....
    That's great, but where's the 4th axis go then?

If you're worried about it, I'm tempted to think that the better solution is to make a simple protective cover for your toolsetter.

Geof, Thanks for the clear description of tool recovery.
    I don't have a CNC yet but there will be a Haas in my garage sometime in the future. Probably one of the older "plastic" machines due to $$.
    I'm hanging out on a couple of CNC forums trying to learn whatever I can in the meantime.
    Ralph

That's great, but where's the 4th axis go then?

If you're worried about it, I'm tempted to think that the better solution is to make a simple protective cover for your toolsetter.
    Made a cover last night. Obviously I am very green at setting up and operating cnc machines. Most of my previous machining was R+D and hobbies with a bridgeport.

Tim

The idea here was to keep the worst of the coolant and chip spray off the setter. I guess it would "resist" a falling tool

Vern
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cover.jpg  

I keep my toolsetter outside the machine completely safe from coolant, chips and falling tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    I keep my toolsetter outside the machine completely safe from coolant, chips and falling tools.
    And I'll bet it didn't cost you five grand either

Quote Originally Posted by Vern Smith View Post
    And I'll bet it didn't cost you five grand either
    A disadvantage is that if I do smash a tool into it and damage it beyond repair I cannot get another one at any price.