584,863 active members*
4,899 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Strengthening wireless network signal?

Just wondering if anyone has managed to build an antenna to strengthen their wireless net signal? I need a stronger signal in the shop, since the computer is buried in a corner surrounded by steel and concrete walls Would something as simple as a long length of cable do any good, I'm no good with this stuff?!
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I installed an amplified directional antenna on my router so I can access astronomy maps off my computer inside the house.

Google for wifi booster antenna's.

I have a external ant for my computer in my basement and that gets 100% signal strength so it works very well. Mind you that the access point is on the opposite sside of the house and up 3 floors.

The loss per metre of coax cable at this frequency is considerable. Move your access point to a better location, don't run a cable from the access point to an antenna at a better location. The cable loss can easily get bigger than the gain by replacing and/or using a gain antenna.

Try moving metallic objects. I sometimes have to place a metal box beside my laptop to reflect signals back into the antenna of the Cardbus transceiver. A cakebox is preferred for obvious reasons. I also noticed that if my (aluminum) attic ladder is not at its usual place, I have problems. Such reflecting objects can do good or harm, there is no way you can tell other than moving them and watch the field strength meter in the control panel.

i havent tried this yet but may soon as my brother and I share a cable internet line and he is 3 blocks over in our subdivision and my reception lacks alittle, http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...578&pfp=BROWSE . Note I am also using a outdoor 15dbi gain parabolic grid antena also to get the range.

Darren

I have seen people build waveguide antenas out of coffee cans and pringles cans, search 'cantena' in google. I have personally tried but not with the right equiptment, It worked for a short while and I could see the signal 4 miles away but couldnt get anything out of it, I have heard of people getting a good connection up to 8 miles away.

My new router(netgear) doesnt have a detachable antena so it kinda wrecks my chances of using that one for that.

Jon

Your best bet is to get a repeater and some high gain antennas. LinkSys makes everything that you would need: http://www.linksys.com/products/grou...rid=33&scid=38

Quote Originally Posted by kong
    Just wondering if anyone has managed to build an antenna to strengthen their wireless net signal? I need a stronger signal in the shop, since the computer is buried in a corner surrounded by steel and concrete walls Would something as simple as a long length of cable do any good, I'm no good with this stuff?!

Kong,
    By far the best way is to invest in a Wireless access point or repeater unit
    i use linksys ( cisco ) , using cables and antennas are not going to give you vast results compaired to using a access point , with electricial noise of machines / motors etc you need the strongest signal possible , or intermittent problems will occour .

dave

My 2 cents: I used a pair of 24dB dishes and two bidirectional amplifiers to get highspeed Internet when I moved to Miami. One antenna was at my house and the other with DSL at my Mom's 6 miles away. It worked good despite having buildings, trees and the Florida Turnpike in between. I got all from http://www.ydi.com 3 years ago. Kept one of the antennas and the amp still works fine. I've gotten reports from neighbors a few blocks away thanking me for Internet access to their laptops.

Later,
    JR

Linksys equip is iffy

I would not suggest Linksys as it is very unreliable equipment and the repeater they sell only works with a specific model of their router reliably. You are much better of with either elevating the unit that you have so there are less objects blocking it or obtaining an aftermarket antenna for it. Try http://www.fab-corp.com/ for anything you may need for any wireless of general RF work. I do this every stinkin day and get tired of people buying junk and then having to tell them that what they bought at Best Buy wont even though thats what the tech guy there told them worked great. If you happen to have a tin roof(common in FLA), steel stud construction, fireplaces, a lot of metal furniture, etc.. etc... you will receive poor quality service from most cheap WiFi hardware. Get a decent patch antenna, yagi or omni and you be leaps and bounds ahead of the game.

I know I may be flamed for the Linksys comment but like I said, I do this every day and see way too many poor quality, low power signals coming from these units not to mention how many I replace because of failure on a monthly basis. It is definately a "get what you pay for" kind of deal. Buy the best you can afford the first time and you wont need to worry about dropped connections. (chair)

Rich