585,982 active members*
4,766 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Unhappy Mori Seiki NL2500 Help Reqd.

Hi there

After the firm purchased a Mori Seiki NL2500 we have been having trouble

1st sorting out our post we can not do radial tapping, I've looked through the manual but its not very helpful if someone has a sample prog. I could look at it would be very much appriciated

Also milling a hex on the end ofa shaft thats just been turned:

we first tried using mastercam but it was out of position by 7 thou in the x axis and 10 in the y any sugestions? - for this job we ended up cutting the hex and offsetting tool geometry offsets to compinsate for misalignment, before starting the inside of the collet chuck was dialed zero in X & Y axis.

the 2nd attempt was using capps to programme the hex and it also was out of alignment... ???

with the new machine its frustrating trying to prog. it and to get prog.s to run as the programming manual is very vague does anyone know of a manual that is more user friendly when refering to reqd codes?

Thanks

I have 2008 NL-2500SY and a 2008 NL-3000Y. I ca help. What are your specific questions?

Hey eddyindo,

For synchronized radial tapping on the NL,

G99
    G97
    M45
    G0 G54 X3.5 Z-1. C0.
    M329 S200
    G88 X2.5 R-.1 P500 F.03125
    C90.
    C180.
    C270.
    G80
    M46

Make sure your M329 and spindle speed are on the same line.

On the G88 line, the X value is your final depth, R is the incremental starting depth, P is dwell, F is your thread pitch. G80 cancels.

HTH!

:rainfro:

Cool

Thanks Glacern

Will try that next time I've a tapping job hopefully not to far in the distant future.

As for the hex miss alignment we will be dialing the turret in tomorrow to check that nothing has moved..

Thanks once again for your friendly advice and help

Cheers Eddy

Hey again Eddy,

I forgot to address the hex problem earlier.

X-axis error can often be explained by error in tool presetting, but the Y-axis is making me scratch my head. You're doing all X-Y movements I'm guessing?

I would preset the tool again in the X-axis. Probe the shank of the endmill. Then when cutting, clamp the spindle with an M68. Make sure the tool and workpiece aren't flexing.

You can also try doing Y-axis only movements with a radial tool and indexing the C-axis 60 degrees each time.

Thanks and more questions -

Glacern

Thanks once again we had been using a mag base and dti to dial in the tool holders/ collet chucks I think our error was from the sag in the mag base we made up a puck to hold dti in soft jaws and now problems solved thanks

Stu

as you seem very familiar with our problems another question I have is:

our nl2500 has 12 turret positions, 3 radial live tooling holders,
    2 face live tooling holders and
    3 boring bar holders, leaving
    4 turning tool positions

we are currently expirementing with turret positions. with larger diameter pieces we run into trouble with tools (boring bars and drills) protruding forward when we are facing this becomes a problem as we have to extend tools from the turret so that the drills etc. clear the chuck and jaws

have you any suggestions on setting turret up we have thought up 2 ideas that we are yet to try :

1 is putting radial drills between our mostly used turning tools so...... poition 12 = radial L.T.H, P11 = rough turn, P10 = radial L.T.H, P9 = Finish Turn, P8 radial L.T.H but going this way Ill end up with 2 boring bars side by side which I don't think will solve my problem

2 is trimming tool holders so that they dont have to be put in to every 2nd turret position

any Ideas ????

What do you call large diameters? Is the machine a Y axis?

I have had 15 tools used on 11 stations with no interference. I will take a picture of my turret Monday

Hi WOLOG

yes it is a Y axis machine

when we get up to turning 8 - 10" Dia's we usally run in to trouble as facing at X-0.0625 the drills/borring bars come very close if not hitting the chuck or chuck jaws

a photo would be great thanks

another couple of questions:
    our machine does not have a sub spindle, how do you go about locating features keyways or bolt holes when machining the second side?

and have you tried making up your own soft jaws? so you can get closer to the end of parts with radial drilling any suggestions

Hey thanks very much

Cheers Eddy

Eddy,

I wasn't in the shop today. I will take the pictures tomorrow.