585,668 active members*
4,492 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Milltronics > ? about vm-16 or vm-17 running single phase?

? about vm-16 or vm-17 running single phase?

hello to all.i was looking at a used cnc and was told some milltronics could be ran on single phase power.one guy said he just left off one leg on his and ran it for years before moving to his new shop.anyone know about this?the vm-16 has a 7.5 hp and the vm-17 has a 15hp.any help is greatly appreciated.

I have run a number of Milltronics machines on single phase with no problems. I would call Milltronics with the serial number to make sure that particular machine will work. When I had an old dirty rotary phase converter the machines would not run at all on it but they would run on single phase. The hookup was to use the two outer connections and leave the center empty. Make sure you have a good properly sized ground wire running back to the main panel, don't try to use the conduit for the ground.

dccamp, what is the machine serial number? With that, I can tell you directly if the machine can be ran single phase. Thx

I have a VM-16 7.5 horse. I currently (no pun intended) run it on single phase. Serial #4xxx if that helps. As posted earlier, two outside legs. You lose some horsepower with the switch to single, but it has never bothered me. I bought the machine new in 1997. Still going strong.