585,992 active members*
6,351 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Removing rotary

I'm trying to make table space for a large part on my VF-4. I purchased it with a rotary and it was on the machine when it arrived in my shop. What is a safe procedure for turning the 4th off/on in the control and removing/installing the rotary in the machine?

Thanks

Jog the table to a position that allows easy removal of the axis. E-Stop. Open settings, find the one that says 4th axis enable ( I believe it's setting 30 ), cycle through the options until it says off, hit write. Remove the cables from the control box, unbolt the axis and remove it.

I would power the machine down after disabling the axis in the control and before disconnecting the cables.

Quote Originally Posted by vf1kf View Post
    Jog the table to a position that allows easy removal of the axis. E-Stop. Open settings, find the one that says 4th axis enable ( I believe it's setting 30 ), cycle through the options until it says off, hit write. Remove the cables from the control box, unbolt the axis and remove it.
    Quote Originally Posted by txcncman View Post
    I would power the machine down after disabling the axis in the control and before disconnecting the cables.
    E-Stop is enough to safely remove the cables, but I to always recommend turning off the machine. For some reason it seems easier for an operator to forget hitting the E-Stop than it does to turn the power off.

E-Stop or power off is essential before unplugging the cables from the machine. If you neglect this step, you will most likely blow the servo drive and/or short the motor or possibly some other circuit board as well.

If lifting the rotary off by hand, get an eye bolt that fits the top of the rotary and run a 4'-5' piece of bar stock through it. Then 2 people can easily lift it and move it around.