585,744 active members*
4,021 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Help getting started

I'm a long-time user of 3D modelling software and I decided to try Alibre Design because I am working on an electronics product design.

I'm having some trouble getting started. The first task I have to do is make models of all the parts. I decided to start with the main board, since it should be easy. It was easy enough to make a rectangle and extrude it and then and the mounting holes. Now I'm trying to add some simple shapes to represent the chipset and parts on the board. I created another rectangle and extruded it, but I can't figure out how to move it around. How do you move different pieces (features?) around in the parts editor?

Or should I be going about this a different way? I just thought it made sense to put everything on this board into one part because we're not going to chage it. What will change is how we put it together with the peripherals and housing.

Make a new sketch of the different parts (1 sketch per piece), and dimension the sketch to give it a relationship to the main board. Then just change the dimensions to move the parts.

Or make it a separate assembly.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by jays View Post
    I'm a long-time user of 3D modelling software and I decided to try Alibre Design because I am working on an electronics product design.

I'm having some trouble getting started. The first task I have to do is make models of all the parts. I decided to start with the main board, since it should be easy. It was easy enough to make a rectangle and extrude it and then and the mounting holes. Now I'm trying to add some simple shapes to represent the chipset and parts on the board. I created another rectangle and extruded it, but I can't figure out how to move it around. How do you move different pieces (features?) around in the parts editor?

Or should I be going about this a different way? I just thought it made sense to put everything on this board into one part because we're not going to chage it. What will change is how we put it together with the peripherals and housing.
    Do exactly as Ger21 says but before you create your sketches create 3 new planes 1 for each like this in the screen shot. These planes can be moved which allows you to move your part. Just be careful because this can also cause problems. The planes are XY Plane 2, YZ Plane2, ZX Plane 2. I relabeled them to avoid confusion. Also create a Part Drawing Template so you don't have to do this to every part drawing.

Your best be is to create each sketch approximately where you want it. Dimension the sketch. Then you can Drag or Dimension the position. Perform your Extrude Boss, Extrude Cut etc.

When working with Assemblies you can import each part one at a time and apply constraints to position your parts. It's a lot of work but until a software is created that reads your mind it has to be done manually.

The best thing you can do is watch the Tutorials. Even though they might seem primitive there are lots of tips and tricks that will help you down the road.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails extra planes.jpg  
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com