585,679 active members*
5,193 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Digitizing an emblem.

I have an emblem that I need an X,Y plot of. I intend to either Machine the item or depending on the Material, I may Laser or Waterjet the item. I have tried a couple of my vendors for screening and etching but none can seem to understand what I am asking for. Perhaps I am not asking for the right thing..........If the item was scanned I assume I could get a .DXF file from that and be able to put into my Mastercam and Machine it? Pls let me know if I'm off base........Or if you could scan such an item approx. 14". long x 2.5" x
    .125" thick
    Thanks STI2011

If this is a logo on a sheet of paper or a .jpg or similar file you can use raster to vector in Mastercam to create a vector image then you will need to clean it up with lines,arcs or splines in MC
    If this is an actual 3D part I would consider getting it laser scanned and getting an .iges or similar file that Mastercam will recognize

raster to vector was an add in that you had to purchase a license for before X3

It is in fact an actual part. It is a logo similar to a car "emblem". It has draft but otherwise it is 2D. I, as you suggested, originally photocopied the item and sent it to a couple of suppliers figuring they could give me what I needed based on that. Apparently that was not sufficient as they have no way (or no idea) to get a "plot" from that. They could engrave it, make stickers or silk screens but not give me the actual dims.! Scale of course regardless to me as I can change it to suit.
    So at least I am not asking for the impossible. This item has to be close to original by eye, not microns. What do you think would be the most cost effective way for me to get this info? I am not on X3 as of yet. I have X2 but am still using V9 as my primary due to a slightly impatient owner, and more than a few "needy" employees.
    Any guess on how much to have it scanned in 2D?
    Thank you for your help.
    STI2011

I'm not really sure on the laser scanning cost ...maybe someone else can chime in but I did have another thought...I have a digitizing probe on one of my machines that I can digitize a grid that is back and forth in x and step over in Y or vice versa the only limitaion is my smallest probe ball is .125" if this would work I can produce a pretty nice 3d surface from the data If you sent me a picture of what you want to do I can quote you a price or at least tell you if it would work

Sounds promising I will have to look at it a little closer and see exactly what the tightest inside corner rad. is. (Still seems like this should be a "slam dunk" type deal. Photocopy to readable x,y plot.) I will look at it and see if the .063r. will get it done. The stepover would be prob .003-.005 min, I assume this would be done in excess of 30-40 in.
    min.? Only one potential prob would be the draft angle?
    Thanks

laser scanning is EXPENSIVE! Atleast it was for the one part that I sent out, needed a 5 axis rotary scan or something, which is maybe why it cost me $800.

Vector to raster is an option, or just do what I would do, and if it's not to complicated, import a picture into your CAD program and manually trace it.

Can you post a picture?

The probe will pick up draft angle as long as the stylus can get in there....we use it to copy ports and combustion chambers on racing cylinder heads it will copy some pretty intricate shapes

I hope I didn't understate this the probe doesn't work from a photo copy I need the actual part to digitize ....sorry if I mislead you

"I hope I didn't understate this the probe doesn't work from a photo copy I need the actual part to digitize ....sorry if I mislead you"

No you did not. I was referring to someone who would use Corel Draw or some other graphic art type program. I am familiar with part probing and digitizing on a CNC Machine. I'm just still surpsised that this isn't easier but alas what appears simple rarely is. I would think that the plotters they use to cut out stickers and posterboard and such function on X,Y plane?

As far as importing a j-peg into my Mastercam and tracing it.....That may very well be able to be done. I wouldn't even know where to start on that though.....

Just a thought here --
    How about taking a digital photo. Then, download RASTERFRATZ - I think a demo is available. Then use that (OR some similar raster to vector program.) Rasterfratz generates g code and if you gray scale the image -- different heights.
    (Not associated - just like the software)
    Cheers Jim
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.