585,729 active members*
4,629 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > New Member ? on Speedway HD series Mill

New Member ? on Speedway HD series Mill

I am new here and in no way a machinist but have made parts on a lathe before and would like to get a larger than a mini drill press/Milling machine and I like what a Speedway HD series looks like sold for $550. at Homier Distributing Co. I can save the shipping and drive to get it but wounder if any of you know if it's a good machine or if you have one. Thanks, Huck

I have one and I love it, works very well for lite duty work and I'm in the process of converting it to cnc.

Thank you CNCadmin, I have been a small gunsmith since `85 and have had a friend do mill work for me and just plain want to do it myself when I need it but have alot to learn. I will need an inexpensive tooling vise for this machine and I dont know what I need to go on the machine to hold the cutters or if it comes with the head. I think this machine has a better vertical fine feed knob that some of the smaller mills dont...I think. Thank you for your help and I hope I dont make a pest with questions when I do get started. I am looking into a Jr college class in milling to get the basics. Merry Christmas to all....Huck

Are you talking about the bigger round column mill? I havent heard a lot, I guess the column is a little thinner tube than the others, but I have also heard of people filling it with cement. There is a guy in town with one, but I havent heard much about his.

Jon

How does the Homier red mini mill compair to the one Grizzly makes that looks alot like it and what kind of fine vertical feed do these mini mills have. Is the Homier a MT 3 taperspindle. My machinist friend said go as big as I can but all I usualy need is to cut a 3/8 dovetail slot in for a sight or cut a rear slide lower and dovetail for a rear sight and I skeletonize brass carriers and small stuff like that. I think I may get a smaller mill because tho I like the larger tube mill it's 700lbs and I cant see being able to move it. Thanks, Huck

It comes apart making it two heavy but manageable (with two strong fellows) sections. Not exactly portable mind you.
    I wish it wouldn't crash.