585,748 active members*
3,673 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

SS 7214 - x axis binding

Hi,
    I have not contacted Shopsabre about this yet; thought I would see if anyone in this fourm could help first
    I have an '04 (or is it '05) SS7214 and am having problems with the x axis binding during rapid transit moves, specificly during spoilboard surfacing when the axis must travel its full length.
    The machine uses steppers and has a top speed of 300ipm.
    Yesterday I was surfacing the new spoilboard and on the 4th time around the head was moving to x79y1.25 at 300ipm and just stopped dead about x76. I immediately stopped the program, lifted the head and began moving back to x0.... a few inches and bang! the head stops again, begin the move again (this time moving it in stops and starts and it stops again around x25.
    I could find no physical obstructions (loose screws in the rails, etc.) am thinking that the ballnut must be binding. Any thoughts?

Cool Instant Stop

I have an 2005 machine with servo's. Check your soft limits. I keep mine off & make sure I'm not going to be anywhere close to the hard limits. At 300ipm, you have to be at the top end of the max stepper rpm. At max rpm, your steppers don't have much torque. (flame2) Any misalignment of the screw & it will bind enough to make the stepper loose steps &/or stop. Check the screw to see if it turns freely at both ends of it's travel. Also check "X" & "Y" tram. There is a post on the zone somewhere on how to check the tram.:cheers:

SS 7214 x axis binding

Hi
    Ive just visited this forum. Happy to get acquainted with you. Thanks.