585,754 active members*
4,420 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Toolsetter Adjustment

Hi.

I've got an error on my toolsetter on a Puma 2000SY with Fanuc 18i-TB control.When measuring tools using the tool setter,especially the boring bars,The measurement inputted into the offset page is about 0.12mm undersize.We have got used to adjusting this manually but its not how it should work.

Does any one know how and which parameter to adjust to correct this error.

I've found a similar thread in this forum for a mitsubishi controller with aresult so I'm hoping someone can help me

Thanks

Martin

Parameter 5015 is for ID tools.
    Parameter 5016 is for OD tools.

I don't know how to set them for a metric machine. Since I have to multiply the amount I am off by 25400 to make my corrections, I am going to assume that you can change the value in P5015 by .12, although I don't think you use the decimal. Been a while. Try subtracting 120 from the value in 5015. Making P5015 smaller will make the boring bar cut bigger. Pay attention to whether P5015 is plus or negative. If negative, you will need to make it a bigger negative number.

Apologize if this is getting too basic.

What I do is write the CORRECT geometry down (not what the probe says it should be). Make the change to P5015. Retouch tool. Does the geometry change to the correct number?

INPUT & +INPUT work the same here as for an offest or geometry change.

Hopefully someone who works with metric lathes will show up to give you a bit more help than I can.

Here's a document "from the horses mouth" so to speak. Hope it helps.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks for the quick response,I'll get that sorted first thing in the morning.

Martin

(Watch this space as I have a few more questions when I get time)

Quote Originally Posted by g-codeguy View Post
    Parameter 5015 is for ID tools.
    Parameter 5016 is for OD tools.

What I do is write the CORRECT geometry down (not what the probe says it should be). Make the change to P5015. Retouch tool. Does the geometry change to the correct number?
    I logged in here to ask the exact same ? A guy on our Puma 400 with 21i-TB control left a jaw out too far and smacked the tool setter with a chuck jaw, I have gotten it lined back up pretty close but the tool setter is about .050 off on dia. if you touch off in X, I tried adjusting the 5015 and 5016 numbers but it didn't make ANY difference in what the tool setter would input, and this machine is set up for in. not metric, the numbers in the parameters are 6 digits. After reading the books we have it says you have to buy another book that deals with tool setter adjustments?

Quote Originally Posted by DonutSlayer View Post
    I logged in here to ask the exact same ? A guy on our Puma 400 with 21i-TB control left a jaw out too far and smacked the tool setter with a chuck jaw, I have gotten it lined back up pretty close but the tool setter is about .050 off on dia. if you touch off in X, I tried adjusting the 5015 and 5016 numbers but it didn't make ANY difference in what the tool setter would input, and this machine is set up for in. not metric, the numbers in the parameters are 6 digits. After reading the books we have it says you have to buy another book that deals with tool setter adjustments?
    Are you changing the value by 1270?

Quote Originally Posted by g-codeguy View Post
    Are you changing the value by 1270?
    I wasn't sure how much to change it, I knew what I wanted the tool setter to read so I was going to go by trial and error but I saw no change in readings, I know I tried changing the number by 100 to start with, that had ZERO affect so then I tried 1000 and that also had no affect, I also tried restarting the control after making the change to see if that helped.

I wasn't sure how much to change it, I knew what I wanted the tool setter to read so I was going to go by trial and error but I saw no change in readings, I know I tried changing the number by 100 to start with, that had ZERO affect so then I tried 1000 and that also had no affect, I also tried restarting the control after making the change to see if that helped.
    I don't know what to think now. Seems like the tool setter should be an option turned on by a parameter. This parameter should already be on since the lathe came with a tool setter. Or did it? If I can remember, I will look Monday to see if I have any paperwork on the tool setter.

Maybe another parameter needs to be turned on before the 5015 and 5016 ones can be adjusted???

Maybe another parameter needs to be turned on before the 5015 and 5016 ones can be adjusted???
    Sorry. None of the paper work I have on using tool setters mentions the parameter that needs to be turned on to use it. The 2 parameters I gave you are the correct ones for a 16T, 18T and 21T control. Don't know if the 18i-TB would use different ones.

Have you tried talking to Daewoo yet? Haven't had to deal with them in a long time. Try this number, 1-973-618-2500 and ask for KASPER ZWEIFEO. Not sure but you may be able to call 1-973-618-2443 for Kasper's direct line. Like I said, it's been awhile.

18i-TB uses 5015 and 5016 for the toolsetter.I did exactly what it said in the PDF from dcoupar and it worked fine.I added 120 to parameter 5015 (I'm working in mm) and now the offset is correct when I use the toolsetter.

You have "parameter write enabled" yes ?

Quote Originally Posted by JHECNC View Post
    18i-TB uses 5015 and 5016 for the toolsetter.I did exactly what it said in the PDF from dcoupar and it worked fine.I added 120 to parameter 5015 (I'm working in mm) and now the offset is correct when I use the toolsetter.
    So my assumption in my first post to subtract 120 was correct. I am making another assumption that you 'added' 120 to a negative number to make it a bigger negative number which is in essence 'subtracting' as I originally stated. At least that is how it works on my lathes.

I am glad that one of you two guys with toolsetter problems got it solved. Also glad that Mr. Coupar has the ability to scan and display documents. (Or else know where to find said documents.) It is much easier to understand in that format than having someone like myself trying to explain it.

Have you resolved this yet, DonutSlayer?

hey g-codeguy,you've got me thinking now,
    Did I add or subtract ?

I'm sure I added to the negative,making a smaller negative...... then again I could be wrong,All I know is that now it works.
    This is the first time I've messed with this,We've just put up with it for so long,It has become the norm just to measure a boring bar and then add 0.12mm to the offset.

It sounds like Donut slayer isn't even getting to the stage where if he alters the parameter,it saves the alteration.

Quote Originally Posted by dcoupar View Post
    Have you resolved this yet, DonutSlayer?
    I haven't had time to mess with it yet, but I guess I missed the PDF file you posted, after reading it the one thing I did not do was reset the alarm after turning on the parameter write, if that is critical then that may solve my issue too, I'll try it out next time I get the chance, thanks.

It sounds like Donut slayer isn't even getting to the stage where if he alters the parameter,it saves the alteration.
    Well it did save the number, but just didn't affect the probe reading.

hey g-codeguy,you've got me thinking now,
    Did I add or subtract ?

I'm sure I added to the negative,making a smaller negative...... then again I could be wrong,All I know is that now it works.
    This is the first time I've messed with this,We've just put up with it for so long,It has become the norm just to measure a boring bar and then add 0.12mm to the offset.

Now you've got me thinking. Have to keep notes as I don't do it often enough to be sure I am going the right way. My note for parameter 5015 says, "minus to make the I.D. bigger." For some reason I had it stuck in my mind that all these parameter values were negative numbers. I was wrong. Checked 7 different lathes. They are all plus numbers. Why I keep notes.

So if the bar is cutting .01 (sorry, not metric) undersize when touched off, I have to subtract the distance the X-GEOM is off to make the bar cut a bigger diameter. 25400*.01=254 in this example. At least I got the subtract part and the 120 correct.

I had a little time today to mess with it, I followed the directions in the PDF file and it does work, I got it hitting size within .001 now, thanks for the help.