585,744 active members*
4,021 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking > WoodWorking Topics > Any good (cheap) hardwood suppliers in Europe?

Any good (cheap) hardwood suppliers in Europe?

Hi,

I live in Norfolk, England and American Black Walnut is very expensive at my local sawmill (about £35 for 3/4" x 1' x 2').

The prices at this Canadian site i found (http://www.thewoodbox.com/hardwoods/blackwalnut.htm) are much better, but I expect the shipping to the UK would be pretty steep. I expect a ship from Canada would come in at Liverpool and I'd have to pay a courier to drive it down here (~250 miles)

However, I do live failry close to Felixstowe where a lot of ships come in from the Netherlands.

If anyone could give me the names of any good suppliers, I would really appreciate it.

I'm only looking for enough wood for one granfather clock project, so not a business order.

Thanks for your time.
    Adam

HAKWOOD

Call Mark Hak at HAKWOOD in Amsterdam. They should have walnut. They ship it back to the USA and still sell it competively with domestic suppliers. Google them. It may be a good option. Good luck!!!

Quote Originally Posted by adamchapman View Post
    ....The prices at this Canadian site i found (http://www.thewoodbox.com/hardwoods/blackwalnut.htm) are much better, but I expect the shipping to the UK would be pretty steep....Adam
    It depends on your definition of steep.

Why don't you try phoning thewoodbox and seeing if they would put it in Parcel Post?

Alternatively you could find out what UPS would cost but that will be expensive.

Non serious suggestion: We ship stuff to the UK all the time. Arrange for thewoodbox to send a bunch of blackwalnut and we will make some shipping crates and then you can go and get them from our distributor.

I would find it amusing shipping something where the crates where more valuable than the contents.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.