585,719 active members*
4,368 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Fanuc System P Model G

Fanuc System P Model G I ran across one of these and it peeked my interest. When I power it up it says Fanuc but that’s all it does. Do you need software to make it do anything. What is it used for?

FAPT

Hi ... this system is the "PC" based version of Fanuc's FAPT programming system that comes on controls like the 10TF and similar. It is basically a conversational ( fill-in-the-blank ) type programming creation system.

This system ... if my old man memory serves me correct ... requires 5.25 floppies to operate. I think the floppies may contain some of the "operating system"????

If that peeked your interest ... maybe take a look at our PC based conversational programming software KipwareT (turning) and KipwareM (milling) ... info and demos at www.KentechInc.com.

Real World Machine Shop Software at
    www.KentechInc.com

All the software for P-G is loaded from 5.25" disks. The P-G has only a boot loader on board. If you have got such a disk, put it in the left drive and hold "LOAD" for several seconds. There were different products running on it, like FAPT DIE for moldmaking, MILL and TURN for general programming, LADDER, ROM etc.etc.

Hi, I have a system P Mate model G, Fanuc number: A08B-0036-B001, with no floppy disks, do you have any idea where to get them???? Or, if someone has them please share a copy.

Thank you.

Greg.

We used one of the things for years to write thousands of CNC programs. Now it won't power up. We've switched over to SmartCAM.

So, we are selling it and the software on eBay. I'm not trying to be a spammer here, I'm just posting the info here so people can see that there are still a few of these things floating around.

Our operator says the internal power supply is bad. Probably could be fixed very easily, but no guarantees. Selling as-is. Includes Mill and Lathe software disks as shown in the picture.

Fanuc System P Model G A08B 0031 B001 CNC Programming Computer | eBay

Re: Fanuc System P Model G

Hello all.
    Now I need all diskette of Fanuc System P( on 1.4M format). Do any one have it? If yes. please kindly quote us about it. Thanks.

along the same lines, anyone tried one of these yet on a P-G?
    ipcas - USB Floppy Emulator V3 / Floppy to USB Converter - Use USB memory in place of floppy disks

I tried one of the cheap FAT12 format types, of course it didnt work- but the IPCAS one might, as it basically figures out whatever format might be needed... would be nice to save the still readable 100 or so fanuc format diskettes onto a usb drive ad a 'image' that could be backed up more durably than a floppy...

Quote Originally Posted by Namnp2007 View Post
    Hello all.
    Now I need all diskette of Fanuc System P( on 1.4M format). Do any one have it? If yes. please kindly quote us about it. Thanks.
    Those are 3.5" diskettes, but are not 1.44 mb, but some oddball fanuc only file format, about 2 mb per disk I think.

Thanks tc429.
    But is the USB Floppy Emulator can works with Fanuc System P? And by another hand, I still need all software of this system. Could you quote me about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Namnp2007 View Post
    Thanks tc429.
    But is the USB Floppy Emulator can works with Fanuc System P? And by another hand, I still need all software of this system. Could you quote me about it?
    those wont work (didnt think a FAT format would, but tried one a couple weeks ago- gives a error on the PG)
    but I *think* this one might- ipcas - USB Floppy Emulator V3 / Floppy to USB Converter - Use USB memory in place of floppy disks as it can configure itself for non FAT type systems- but at 2~300 bucks, not sure if I want to know THAT badly
    I am thinking of trying to emulate a old fanuc floppy drive with a Arduino, then going thru USB, maybe if I get bored this winter it could be a fun little project

I couldnt/wouldnt quote FANUC disks... best try to purchase from fanuc, or buy a complete old PG with its original disks- might be cheaper. this stuff is so old, doubt fanuc still supports it, but you never know. if you do find a complete old system, be sure to save backups, and replace every few years...I've found a lot of the old floppies wont read after about 10-15 yrs...doubt it will be many more years till the mechanical disk drives get tired too...

I hope someone/somewhere finds a way to back these antiques up on other than floppies- its a completely antiquated/dying technology, a more permanent backup would be nice- some of the machines written on P-G systems could still be running another 10-20+ years, would probably be nice if some support equipment was still around too... always thought it kinda senseless that FAPT LADDER I/II/III wont support the 3/6/0-A/other 'obsolete' systems that are still out there... surely they could have added the support functionality to the newest packages to service the old stuff too- think Fanuc would find programming systems easier to sell if they could support really old stuff, even convert those old interfaces to new hardware without a ton of time...

Hi all,
    I recently acquired a Kiwa Excel center 10M with DC drives. And it appears the ladder EPROMS are somehow damaged. The machine works but I can't view the ladder on the nc/pc page! All the other 10M kiwas at work display fine, they are AC drives though(newer-ish). I tried placing A random eBay purchased pmc cartridge in the machine and that ladder shows up! The cartridges from the newer Kiwas give a watchdog alarm when plugged into my machine. So, I would like to purchase a system p model g mark I or II and a pa writer. But the pa writer and pmc-I/J software is impossible to locate!!! All the systems I find have no software or EDM software. Resellers and auction purchasers don't appear to realize the value of including the software instead of throwing it out!!
    I don't have any documentation on the ladder but I have removed the EPROMS And read them into ROM dumps. Then socketed them back in the cartridge.
    I am very knowledgeable about Fanuc's as I repair and troubleshoot all the CNC's where I work when I'm not programming and operating them.
    My end goal is to add a 4th axis, touch-probe, and turn on DNC. It's an old machine and just fun for me. Also the new kiwas already have 4th axis in the ladder, but mine, based on the labeled x and y addresses, does not.
    So I've got my sites on a p-g system with 3.5 disk drives, BUT NO PMC-I/J software!

Any help or advice would be appreciated. I am new to the boards but have a lot of experience that I would be happy to share.

Quote Originally Posted by fronhofer View Post
    Hi all,
    I recently acquired a Kiwa Excel center 10M with DC drives. And it appears the ladder EPROMS are somehow damaged. The machine works but I can't view the ladder on the nc/pc page! All the other 10M kiwas at work display fine, they are AC drives though(newer-ish). I tried placing A random eBay purchased pmc cartridge in the machine and that ladder shows up! The cartridges from the newer Kiwas give a watchdog alarm when plugged into my machine. So, I would like to purchase a system p model g mark I or II and a pa writer. But the pa writer and pmc-I/J software is impossible to locate!!! All the systems I find have no software or EDM software. Resellers and auction purchasers don't appear to realize the value of including the software instead of throwing it out!!
    I don't have any documentation on the ladder but I have removed the EPROMS And read them into ROM dumps. Then socketed them back in the cartridge.
    I am very knowledgeable about Fanuc's as I repair and troubleshoot all the CNC's where I work when I'm not programming and operating them.
    My end goal is to add a 4th axis, touch-probe, and turn on DNC. It's an old machine and just fun for me. Also the new kiwas already have 4th axis in the ladder, but mine, based on the labeled x and y addresses, does not.
    So I've got my sites on a p-g system with 3.5 disk drives, BUT NO PMC-I/J software!

Any help or advice would be appreciated. I am new to the boards but have a lot of experience that I would be happy to share.
    theres a G bit you can write in the ladder, that can disable ladder display on most controls- we have a old FA drill that requires freedrate0/mdi/key or some such idiocy to display ladder...do you have a paper copy of the ladder? look at a zero series maint manual, theres a bit in parameter 60 to disable ladder display also- i dont recall the 'name' but know its in the zero book, probably has same name in 10/11/12/15a manual...

Quote Originally Posted by tc429 View Post
    theres a G bit you can write in the ladder, that can disable ladder display on most controls- we have a old FA drill that requires freedrate0/mdi/key or some such idiocy to display ladder...do you have a paper copy of the ladder? look at a zero series maint manual, theres a bit in parameter 60 to disable ladder display also- i dont recall the 'name' but know its in the zero book, probably has same name in 10/11/12/15a manual...
    Thank you for the help. It's definitely not a parameter because the other cartridge I tried displays the ladder. But the g bit is possible. Does any body know which pmc bit turns off the ladder display on a 10M? Or does anybody have a Kiwa Excel 4 ladder for a DC Drive machine?
    Thanks again. 🤓

I did a quick look, couldnt find the ladder bit for a 10/11...*LDSP is the name in a zero series control, at G119.0 - but couldnt find in the BMI manual for a 10/11...didnt look in the FS3/FS6 interface connection book, but dont know of anyone that ever used those interfaces...

another possibility- is there ANY ladder displayed? like the decel switches only and only sub1? we had some swaseys like that, here they were programmed in Pascal to hide the logic...

otherwise I dont know how they'd hide it... look thru your ladder documentation for a *LDSP named coil, hopefully thats in there somewhere...you can look on the title page screen to see Pascal % and memory used- if its mostly pascal, its likely a black box

one last thing- check the firmware version think its tagged with a typo 'edtion' at bottom of title page- theres 4002 for most T/M controls, 4003 for TT - there might be a -xx after it, and see if that matches your rom card chip- note, 4002-02 would be labeled 4002-b, -03=c etc... if theres a mismatch, dont think it should run at all, but maybe it just wont display...dunno...

I had talked to a tech at our areas service center, he said he looked for a day and a half and also could not find a ladder bit for that purpose. And I don't have any documentation on the ladder at all! Which manual do I need for the PMC bit descriptions?
    The machine is simple and doesn't have any Pascal. And the keep relays are set vary similar to the ones at work with full documentation. And they Don't have any funny ladder stuff going on. There is know title screen. I can make out some text on the EPROMS. I wrote a small Python program to combine them. It doesn't make a .#EX file but it allows me to put the bytes back in 16 bit format.

I extracted this from the EPROMS:
    4001 AEB0101 KIWA IRON WORKS, LTD.
    EXCEL CENTER - 4 (MODEL B)
    FS10M-A,PC-I (FS3MI-A2)
    EB01.10 +TLM +LBAL
    1984.12.08.SA K.TATSUMI
    CHECKED BY KOJIMA & MUKAI

Does this mean that the machine is using FS3 instead of BMI?
    Also 4001 not 4002!

I am trying to decide at this point if I should blow $1666 + $150s/h on Hi-ROM's programmer or buy a System P-G. Does anyone have the PMC-I/J software for the System P. I asked my service tech if I could get a copy, but the answer was less then promising. And without a definite YES it's hard to place a $1900ish bid on Ebay for half of what I need!

wow, FS3... bet theres a ladder bit in there- i'll try to look tomorrow- dont think the fs3 book has ever been opened
    only FS6 ive ever run into was on a hitachi seiki- guess Fanuc offered those for migration to the 10/11A platform with no programming required... but it left out all the good stuff

ive never seen 4001...but if it reads the other cassettes, must be ok?
    if you want attach your eprom data in here (keep split in2 files...knowing me id get the hi/low bytes reversed or something), cant promise anything, but if i get time, might burn a couple chips and load in a pg...sooner or later will run into this again, would be good to know. ive been fighting with dying dos laptops, flaky hard drives, the past few days, time to do some upgrading, but the old pigs still work

There are 4 EPROMS 27128's. Labeled with their location on the cartridge.

printable ladder/all ladder data/mnemonics only from above chips...no guarantees data/params were right, showed a error, but no number, seemed odd...didnt notice any $ names on timers- on the pg i found long ago that not numbering a timer will compile/burn fine, but uploading back in gives errors and three $ rungs at every un numbered timer...

i didnt see a bit to turn off display, but just scrolled thru quickly...did see on the p-g that fs3 dont allow the 'edit' graphical screen, just the f4 display swap graphics...in bmi the r1 edit allows editing in the graphics page- perhaps fs3 dont display on control for same reason...hope this helps

That is Spectacular! My P-G is on its way from Germany. My goal is to Convert it to BMI and add some features. I wonder what plumbing I will have to Change? I just got the 10M BMI connection book but haven't sourced a 3M book yet....WAAAAY before PDF's...:-)

It would be interesting to see how the EPROM Images compare to the .#EX file. Does the P-G split them or does the Writer?

bmi/fs3/fs6 all used different signal list addresses, some of the f/g stuff moved around iirc... biggest difference was spindle control, bmi was actually kind of messy as there was 12bit binary out, all contorted due to bcd,16bit stuff for overrides, required a few conversions. ive got a pretty clean bmi spindle setup i'll try to dig up, only a page or two, as 'readable' as i could get it. most 10/11 bmi spindles ive seen were ugly to read, some 10 pages long- not maintenance friendly. i'll put my sequence up in here, you can check it out, maybe clean it up even further...
    yrs ago looked at eprom data, most of it looked easy to convert. pg just sends it, where the writer/cassette board sorts out hi/lo byte. you'd be ahead to find a writer. might try the hi-rom in coming days just to compare the output files- i'd noticed before the title page stuff was incorrect, kinda scary as what else could be...oh, and on the burner, mentioned before, a b002 does 15-a, but shoulda mentioned it still needs a adapter for the 15 cassettes too.
    back to the hi-rom, i always use same naming format- "A02-03" would mean jan,02,2003 as a easy way to archive ladders by dates, as that part of title page always displays at cnc boot screen...when i burned a hirom set of zero chips, it put something other than what i had on title page in there. its a neat little burner, but worry if they didnt compile that, what else might be weird or wrong...

anyhow...cant sleep, back to bed

Page 1 of 2 12