584,802 active members*
4,929 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 7 of 13 56789
    That's a great Idea. BTW I installed the beam combiner and noticed that it takes more power to produce a result on the paper, the mirror is suppose to have a 99.9% transmittance. What happens is I get a ring on the paper before I get a black dot, very weird compared to what I was getting with-out it before. I also looks like I made need to increase my focal length because of the shape of my cone in the cutting head I made, I think the IR will hit the sides.

Hm. I dont know off hand what would produce that (besides a non-creative suggestion like "hey you must have bumped something".)

There's a good chance that formation of the ring does not mean that the addition of the new mirror has reduced the total amount of beam coming down the optics chain. The problem that you're up against which I have found maddening is how hard it is to get a proper measure of power. The method you're using of looking at the spot versus ring may not be enough information about transmission loss. It could be that its changing the focus in some way, but the total trasmittance is still the same.

To measure power, I have a lollipop style power measuring device. I attached a picture of one in action. These things are ridiculously crude, its a block of carbon attached to a turkey thermometer.

No kidding sometimes I point the beam at a brick and look at differences in the amount the brick glows.

Sorry not to be of more help.

o.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails probe.jpg  

Well my laser is FINALLY CUTTING! After much trial and error in finding the right mirror for use with my beam combiner and trying to get all the mirror aligned, I have finally done it. I was using a 1.5 FL lens to which I swapped that out for a 2.5 and have to re-machine the lens holder. I cut a plane out and it's so perfect it's scary. The mechanics are working flawlessly. Right now it's just a learning curve to get SheetCam and Mach to do what I want them too.

One thing I need to do as was described above it to see what the power out-put is for a give MA setting. I almost have to use full MA to cut 1/8" ply. The amount of smoke is the next problem I face, even though I'm using a 3/4"hp blower sucking from the bottom that is not enough. I'm going to build a "case" from 80/20 to enclose the machine and vent from the top, that should work much better. I will have pics up and a video soon.

I dont know for sure, but my intuition is that you should be able to cut 1/8th at lower than full power settings.

This thread:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8143

discusses the formulary for calculating beam size, depth of field, and other factors contributing to power density. if you want to go over approaches to getting expected power and stuff, just say so.

and congratulations on getting light to penetrate wood!!

owen

WOhhOO I got it working!!! With allot of patients, I got the Lens aligned and now can cut 1/4" ply and 1/2" balsa wood @ 50 IPM, I will try to up the speed tomorrow. Foam I can do 300 IPM so far. I have my 80/20 material on the way to build a enclosure to keep the fumes out of my face.

Thats so cool Paul, I must admit I am rather envious of you.
    You have done a great job. I guess we are all keen to see some videos and pictures, real soon. I want to see that perfect cut plane too.
    No more words from you.....just pictures

Yeah, where's the pictures. How about a total price for that thing, too?
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

paul, i have to say i'm impressed as well! this is going to be my next project! what advice would you give about purchasing the laser tube from the chinese manufacturer? how is the cooling system working? does the tube get warm or hot? total cost? thanks for the info. toby.... www.silhavyaerosports.net

Today I cut trough 1/8" delrin, clad PB board w/copper, hard maple deco wood, and a 1/4" thick lauan. I have to make a few more improvements to my optic holders, their not stiff enough, their is slight machine vibration getting to them.

Quote Originally Posted by CNCadmin
    Today I cut trough 1/8" delrin, clad PB board w/copper, hard maple deco wood, and a 1/4" thick lauan. I have to make a few more improvements to my optic holders, their not stiff enough, their is slight machine vibration getting to them.
    I think you are making all this up.

Pictures, pictures, pictures.

Oh I see, you think we are on a yahoo forum.

Here are some pics

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1365.jpg   IMG_1371.jpg   IMG_1367.jpg   IMG_1369.jpg  

IMG_1359.jpg  

Ah thats more like it.

That top picture, what sort of material is that and how long did it take to cut the end off ? How deep is the blackended bit? I mean how deep is the char. .5 mm ? or is it deeper than than?

That is 1/2" balsa cut at if I remember 15IPM.

The price..... well all in all over 3,000.00 for the machanics, 50 laser, power supply, cnc drivers, stepper motors, dust collector honeycomb top, optics and misc.

Quote Originally Posted by tobytorkn
    paul, i have to say i'm impressed as well! this is going to be my next project! what advice would you give about purchasing the laser tube from the chinese manufacturer? how is the cooling system working? does the tube get warm or hot? total cost? thanks for the info. toby.... www.silhavyaerosports.net

The Chinese laser and power supply works very good BUT I had to upgrade the capacitors they used as the power supply is was not made for 115 but 220. The cooling system is working perfect, as far as I can see, I will take water temps later on. I don't touch the tube so I don't know how hot it gets.

The table I got from a junk yard, but it was a perfect match for the laser frame. I designed the base to be adaptable to any table. It's really a very clean set-up. I have learned alot from this whole thing, I'm gonna have lots of fun with this thing. ONE WARNING I MUST STRESS THIS MACHINE CAN KILL YOU OR CAUSE BLINDNESS!! So if anyone is thinking about running or building one you have been warned.

Quote Originally Posted by CNCadmin
    That's a great Idea. BTW I installed the beam combiner and noticed that it takes more power to produce a result on the paper, the mirror is suppose to have a 99.9% transmittance. What happens is I get a ring on the paper before I get a black dot, very weird compared to what I was getting with-out it before. I also looks like I made need to increase my focal length because of the shape of my cone in the cutting head I made, I think the IR will hit the sides.
    I was wrong about the above the loss of power was do to a slight miss-alignment of the focusing lens.

The pictures are cool... but where is the actuall laser mounted? can you trace a line in the picture with some sort of paint program to show where the beam bounces from?

I am assuming that it is not mounted to the gantry (unless the laser is so small as to be missed on the photo )
    thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"

Quote Originally Posted by miljnor
    The pictures are cool... but where is the actuall laser mounted? can you trace a line in the picture with some sort of paint program to show where the beam bounces from?

I am assuming that it is not mounted to the gantry (unless the laser is so small as to be missed on the photo )
    Here is a pic of the tube-
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1358.jpg  

Thats very cool, Thanks!

1. does the fact the the gantry moves to and fro make the focusing any harder?

2. how far can the laser be from the focusing beem to cut?

3. can you engrave with this kind of laser

4. if so, how far can you be from the focuser to engrave.

5. sorry to be a pest!
    thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"

Page 7 of 13 56789