585,568 active members*
3,563 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Gerber Sabre 408 help...

Does any one know of any way to run a Gerber CNC router with out using Gerber's awful software. I do most of my work in AutoCAD but i have to use corel to translate my DXF's into .AI files because Gerber has the option of importing DXF's but nothing ever shows up. All these conversions just add errors that take lots of time to fix..

Or Does anybody know how to import a DXF into Gerber's program "Composer 6.0". You know , I tried to write an E-Mail to Gerber about this file conflict and i received a reply stating that I needed to pay themn $45.00 first before they would put me on a waiting list to call me back...

Any help would be great...
    CHuck

Try scaling down your dxf file by multipling it x .03937 (conversion to mm from inches if you are working in inches). I know I had to do this when importing dxf file or saving dxf files in adobe. Also if I remember you may need to change how your arcs / splines are defined. You can have them split into multiple sections. I believe the value needs to be set to 1 instead of 0 but cant remember the command.. I will see if I can dig that information up.

Gerber Sabre and Sheetcam

I have been investigating running G-code on the Gerber Sabre 408.
    The Gerber does allow for it. They recommend HyperTerminal in Windows to feed the code.
    Les at Sheetcam was nice enough to write a post for me.
    I have yet to try it out, my employer is putting new leadscrews in the machine so it's down for a while.
    I managed to get the instructions and parts for the Gerber from:

Advantage sign Supply
    3939 N. Greenbrooke S.E.
    Grand Rapids, Michigan 49512

Main Phone (800) 522-3698
    Local Phone (616) 554-3300
    Fax Number (616) 554-3377
    Technical Support (800) 251-0929

If anyone else has decided to run the Gerber via G-Code I'd like to hear about it.
    Will a Gerber Sabre cut 3d files or is it strictly a 2 1/2D machine?

Gerber Router

Bit of an expensive option, but it is possible to use Delcam's Artcam to run the router- it will allow you to import virtually anything- dxf, eps, even bitmap images that you can 'sculpt' into a relief, then carve on the router. It includes a 'spooler' that converts to gerber code, and drip-feeds the router if the file is bigger than the contoller's buffer.

I have an older Gerber router that I wanted to do some relief work on, and found someone who brought round his laptop with Artcam on. It worked perfectly. I think the Sabre is more standard than my router (mine uses a proprietary code rather than G codes), so Artcam is probably overkill for you, but at least it shows that 3D is possible on Gerber machines.

I'm still saving however...

Not sure of 3 axis movement on Gerber Sabre

I've looked at the Vectrec software and the Artcam software...http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectr...c3d_index.htm).
    I guess I still would like to know if this software would work in a 2 1/2 D mode.
    The Gerber only makes simultaneous moves in the x and y axis. Then makes a z move.

The slicing software appears to reduce the size of the sections but within those sections still runs in true three axis 3D mode. The Vectric site says:
    Roughing Toolpaths

Fast and efficient Z Level rough machining removes unwanted stock material quickly and easily, leaving material on the model for the Finishing toolpath to remove.

The rough machining strategy includes options for profiling at each z level to reduce uneven loading on the finishing cutter.

But the finishing paths are:
    High quality 3D finishing cutterpaths are calculated in seconds. Automatically compensating for the cutter diameter and ensuring gouge free parts off the CNC machine.

So my search goes on. Let me know your suggestions.
    I could just give up but half the fun is figuring a way around the dilemma.

H karbunkle1952,

If the Sabre 408 has the firmware option (on the control panel) to run in GCode mode then it will definitely cut simultaneous 3D XYZ moves. I have personally run 3D files on this machine using the GCode mode and we also have other users running 3D files from Cut3D and VCarve Pro.

The parts shown in this thread were cut on a Gerber Sabre 408

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showpo...37&postcount=4

If you send us a note to - [email protected] - we can send you some sample 3D GCode files + the Gerber postprocessor.

Tony

I can help you better than the factory!

Hey.. I am the expert that nasa contacts to show them how to run their sabre 404. I Have been running gerber software and a 404 for 10 years, and I can walk you through any setup you want. Just call me at my shop - 408-738-4624 and I'll show you anything you need to know.
    Thanks,
    Jason

enroute pro 3D software works well

I almost forgot... enroute pro 3D works well on the saber 408. I still have my current registered software if your looking for a new software platform. It works seamlessly and you never need to open code and transfer by alternative methods, just click and send like artpath. The toolpathing is lightyears more powerfull than artpath and more familiar to machinists.
    Cheers!
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by goodplastics View Post
    Hey.. I am the expert that nasa contacts to show them how to run their sabre 404. I Have been running gerber software and a 404 for 10 years, and I can walk you through any setup you want. Just call me at my shop - 408-738-4624 and I'll show you anything you need to know.
    Thanks,
    Jason
    Hi!
    I´ve started playing in ArtCam.
    I usually runns my 408 with ATC from Gerber ArtPath.
    Can u help me how do I get the .ger files in to the router?
    Best regards
    Nicklas

Re: I can help you better than the factory!

Im also new here but I was wondering if Goodplastics could call me at 815-
    520-1272

Re: Gerber Sabre 408 help...

I Used Enroute PRO 6.x and even 3.x and the Gerber 408 Run Perfectly for 2D 2D and a Half and of course 3D.
    Just send to me and e-mail and will guide you how to do 3D over your Gerber 408 or 404 with Enroute PRO.
    I Work With Gerber, Multicam, AXYZ, Precix, Biesse, Flexicam and of course with Enroute for many years...
    [email protected]