584,879 active members*
5,089 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Actuators

Actuators

Does anyone know where I can get linear actuators for cheap. I have another hobby project which requires 2 actuators that operate on 12VDC. I also require about a 12" stroke.

oh ya, they need to push about 100lb each.

A great source for linear actuators is Electric Wheelchairs, I've gotten a couple here and there that were headed for the scrap yard, and there was nothing wrong with the actuators what so ever. What most assisted living centers do, is keep them around for spare parts, usually only using the footrests, wheels, arm rests, seat pads....etc. Most of them could care less about the motors or electronics. Find a couple of these facilities and talk with the Physical Therapist dept. manager... you'd be suprised what you'll find.
    I only know this because I used to work for a company that provided networked infrastructure for assisted living facilities.

Good luck,

Art

you havent mentioned the kind or drive( stepper/servo) or the accuracy you need. Also how cheap are you looking for,

try these links:
    http://www.angelfire.com/az2/proff/

http://www.pro.com.sg/

accuracy is not terribly important, and I am not picky on motor type. It will be for automotive use. I wish to open the heavy fiberglass tonneau cover on my truck with the flick of a switch. I was looking for something like those available from Autoloc or spal, but I don't want to pay the several hundred dollars they are asking for their models.....any ideas?

Hospital beds, if you can find out where their boneyards are.

You could also check for power seat motors, I worked on a brand new expedition that had some sweet looking acuators under the seat, the lead screws may be a little small for your app, but you could modify longer ones if needed, some others come to mind, wiper motor, window motor, etc. These motors already have the 12v drive that you need. Good luck

P.S. let us know what u come up with - i'm building a 46 ford and would like to do similar things.

i have found some fairly cheap satellite actuators, but I think these use stepper motors, which would be difficult to use in my truck. Is this correct, or are these actuators a good fit?

The sattelite actuators that I saw.. Years ago...
    were all 24 volt DC. With or without an encoder. Maybe some had
    stepers.. Take a look at the number of wires from the motor.
    24 volts will work at 12 volts, just slower...

Can you tae the guts from the sattelite accuator, and make a mounting
    for a 12 volt motor?

Pete

I think I might take this project in another direction.... I found this site, and I'm gonna try to do something similar. This powers tonneau covers using pneumatics. http://www.poplocks.com/top_pop.html. Appears as though this may lift the cover faster than the electric actuators too.

Good idea, didnt think of that.

OK, I have made some progress on this one. I know it has been a while since I posted here, I was off getting married.

I have almost everything I need to make the pneumatic setup work, but I have discovered that I require approx 100 psi to make my heavy tonneau move. This leaves me 2 possible options as I see it. Either fill an air tank with my home compressor and leave it in my truck (not my favorite), or find a compressor capable of pushing that psi. I got one of the mini compressors that claim 200 psi max and is powered through the cigarette lighter. Thing crapped out at like 40psi.

My question, does anyone know where I can get an inexpensive 12V air compressor that will actually push 100+ psi?

Also, I would like better fittings than the hosebarbs and gearclamps I am using.....any ideas?

What about the compressors for air shocks? Check for a Gabriel Hijacker pump.
    I suppose everything is now made in China.... GRRRR. Maybe eBay.

The fuel injection band clamps might be another thing to look at.

Pete

Just a thought on the tank idea
    For about $50-$80 you can pickup a used paintball gun HPA tank and a low pressure reg for tuning output.

Depending on the volume of air your actuators need it should be good for a decent amount of uses.

Only drawback would be refilling the tank.

semi tractors have a nice compressor for the brakes ... and they have the mounting brackets to the block ... GL .. have fun ... Jim

Jkier, refilling the tank is exactly what I am trying to avoid, but nice idea. I am looking for something like the ones used for airbag suspensions. The company Viair makes some nice ones, but I am on a very tight budget for this project.