585,778 active members*
4,315 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Chinese lasers....what if?

Just a thought but what if one were to take an existing "cheap chinese laser" (not to offend those who have and like theirs) and expand its engraving /cutting area? Use the good stuff like the laser tube/ power supply, driver board, optics, motors etc. I realize you would have to use longer linear ways and belts, but what else should be taken into consideration? Would it be worth considering?
    My first questions would be to the ones that have these machines.
    What is the method of raising/lowering the material for focal lenght? what limits the physical size of the engraving/cutting area? Is it just the linear ways? is the area user defineable in the control software?
    Any ideas are welcome and please feel free to just bash all over this.
    I would much rather abandon the idea before it gets started than invest in futility.

ps, I am not talking about making a 10 ft by 20 ft table or anything. Just 12x24 inches or 24x36...something like that

This is a reasonable idea, and I don't see any reason it would not work but you may find it cheaper to just purchase the laser tube / psu as 'spares' and construct an XY table around it. The lens and mirrors are also available the same way. It may work out cheaper but you would have to check that.

Zax.

I have gave that idea a thought also. Imho getting a laser machine with the MPC6515 would be best. That controller is kind of kewl that it has 128mb ram on it, so you can store the job on it and it is faster for raster work than sending the data over parallel port.

I have seen some under 1k machines in ebay available in united states, although I do not know what controller does it have.

Linkmotion is also available for MPC6515 and I guess its good. It would be interesting to hear about MPC6515 owners in this board.

The thing to do would be to build a larger XY or XYZ if you wish, and use standard STEP/DIR drives. Hook up to the MPC6515 and you have the motion part pretty much done.

Good part is that you 'inherit' software that came with the machine. Hopefully the table size can be modified within the configuration.

Quote Originally Posted by Konstantin View Post
    Good part is that you 'inherit' software that came with the machine.
    If the software is a standard driver I agree, if it's custom software that leaves you tied I would say it's the bad part.

Zax.

I was figuring to use the driver/ software that comes with the machine to keep cost down. the idea is to build a low buck machine that would be just a bit more useful than the stock one and have a little more table size. I agree though, that if I were to abandon the controller for something better like linkmotion, it would be better to build from scratch. I was adding up the costs for a tube/ps and optics and holders and it keeps coming up more than the cost of a $1K chinese machine. Thats without the controller, motors, exhaust fan, and other misc stuff that the chinese machine would already have.
    Anyone know about the software/ controller on these machines? Is the table size user definable? Thanks for all the input so far. I love this forum. Jim

Konstantin, could you direct me toward info on the MPC6515? I would like to find out more about that. Thanks, Jim

@draekar
    You can always download the MPC6515 manual from Leetro chinesse, I dont see manual link but you can google it out.

Basically its a 3axis controller with laser PWM control plus limit/home switches. It can do raster and vector, I am not sure what kind of software does it uses, maybe Laser Cut 5.1 although I not sure.
    The job can be run from USB cable or you can copy it from a usb flash memory, the controller automatically downloads it.
    There is a keypad with some basic functions and a LCD display.
    I believe the cost is about 600 USD on the MPC6515 and it runs the laser standalone.

You do need servo or stepper drives as the mpc6515 motion controller outputs STEP/DIR pulses only.

Thanks for the info, I will certainly do some resarch on that controller. Either way I decide to go, I will chronicle it here at the zone. It seems to be of interest to many. I am a cnc machinist and I have already retrofit a dyna desktop mill and built a 4 axis gantry router so my next project is a DIY laser engraver. My goal is to build it as low cost as possible but still have a reliable machine that can produce for hobby use as well as small business applications. Any input, ideas, and experiences with any of the equipment mentioned in this thread are appreciated. Even the negatives or "downsides" are welcome. This is how we learn and develope new ideas.
    There is a wealth of knowledge to be had here on the zone, and I commend all who share here. Jim

I think there is a big problem with the MPC6515 and the Solustan driver. the solustan stuff can't do a vector and raster routines in the same project . You would have to do the raster stuff first and then download the vector cuts as a second project.

I think Dhiren at Solustan is promising a better software that can do both raster and vector in one project.. The software should be available in a few weeks or few months.

.. and you can find the MPC6515 driver manual on my web site..

http://www.scottware.net/pdf/MPC6515%20%20Manual.pdf

Ray Scott

About Solustan, I believe their driver for MPC6515 costs about 300 USD and the MPC6515 is about 600USD.
    Now if that info is correct then getting the MPC6515 + Linkmotion is cheaper than getting LinkMotion for PC which is about 1500USD.

Correct me if I am wrong.

I looked at that manual for the mpc6515 and its a little vague in places. It doesnt seem to cover any of the computer to card interface (maybe in a manual for the software?). Anyways, am I correct that it is supposed to come with the PAD03 control pad? It says it does in the manual but I havent been able to find any pics of it so far. Ive not been able to find a price anywhere either. Also the problem with solustan and not being able to raster/vector in the same file. Does the lasercut software allow it?
    Great info so far. Still researching. Any good links appreciated, Jim

Yes.. The LaserCut 5.3 allows the computer to send a project to the MPC6515.. the project can do both vector and Raster in the same session. Leetro (they make the 6515) plans to release a new driver for the 6515 that will act as a printer driver for most software packages. Solustan is also working on their version of that type of a driver.

The control pad, cables, dongle, 6515, and software should all come in the purchased package.

Ray Scott

Is there a manual for the full protocol and interfaces for that card? I would like to write a direct interface that runs inside CorelDRAW.

-James Leonard
    James Leonard - www.DragonCNC.com - www.LeonardCNCSoftware.com - www.CorelDRAWCadCam.com - www.LeonardMusicalInstruments.com

I guess you transfer the job to the 6515 as if it was a removable drive connected to your pc. Then from the keypad select the job and you run it.
    Or use a usb flash memory to transfer the job.

MPC 6515

MPC 6515 is a stand-alone motion controler. Based on DSP and FPGA technology, the advanced velocity look-ahead and trajectory blending algorithm ensure the velocity invariableness and transition smoothness between and two-trajectory segments during high speed X-Y continuous trajectory motion.

It offers committed signals for various sorts of laser systems, suchs as CO2, and YAG.

Features:

Stand-alone mode
    Improved stability compared with PC-based systems
    2-3 axis linear interpolation and 2-axis circular interpolation
    High speed 2-axis continuos contouring
    Velocity look-ahead and trajectory blending
    Position compare and trigger output
    The laser control is synchronized with the laser head motion
    Advanced PWM laser power control
    Distinct trajectory adaptability to machine framework
    Laser power attenuation compensation
    Laser Power control mode options: 0-5VDC, PMW, or frequency
    Seperate laser power control for dual head laser machines
    User-selectable tickle pulse for RF Tube
    Master/Slave USB interace that ensures high speed data transfer
    Up to 8 machines can be connected to host PC via USB interface
    Working memory up to 128 mb
    Easy interface to any stepper motors, and servor motors with pulse train input
    All digital inputs and outputs are 2500Vrms isolated
    Does not accept G-code

Is there any other qustions on the MPC6515? I can find ot any information needed. I personally know the owner of Leetro and would be happy to ask him your questions upon reason.

Dihren from Solustan only has even what they have because of working with my company and Fank from Rabbit Laser. My company and Frank abandoned the project with Solustan because of the underdeveloped software not being up to our standards and did not look like it ever would be. I STRONGLY advise that the price tag placed on this software is overabundant for what it is and suggest against the purchase.

Also the new driver system for these cards and machines will ONLY be available through The-Laser's Edge as we are the financial developers and testers of this software. This is a fact and remain this way until further notice. Further information will be released closer to the release date.
    Tom Winters
    www.the-lasersedge.com