585,930 active members*
3,984 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > I have 6 wire motors can I use a 4 wire driver

Arrow I have 6 wire motors can I use a 4 wire driver

I plan on building a 5 axis cnc I found a driver on ebay for 80 that is 5 axis but I only count 4 wires that I can connect to the stepper motors... Will I be able to do this or not?

Can anyone help point me to some good reading or books I can learn more about 5 axis CNC DIY at home? I haven't seen a lot of 5 axis DIY only 3 and some 4... Does that mean its to hard to make a 5axis or people just dont have the need for it?

I am also thinking of building my own driver but I am really good at soldering and following good directions. My question for this is If i find a homebrew online that has a kit can I just build it and is there any kind of programming involved in the chips? I dont know how to do any of that... But if all is involved is putting the board together I will be able to do so if I have some good directions... Thanks for the site guys great job!

Yea man you can use a 4 wire driver ( Bipolar, thats how its called ) with a 6 wire motor ( Unipolar )

Check and see how is wired...

http://www.probotix.com/cnc_images/unipolar_ill_02.jpg

DON'T CONSIDER THIS COLORS OK? YOUR MOTOR MIGHT BE DIFFERENT...

Translating, you have to wire only A and A', and B and B', you dont need to connect the commons of each stator ( Bipolar Series )...

Make sure you properly insulate the non connected wire. If it shorts against something it will blow the driver. If you need to figure out which wire is which, use an ohm meter. You will end up with 2 pairs of three showing continuity. The ends of the winding will show double the resistance as compared to the middle and end wires.

Mike
    Warning: DIY CNC may cause extreme hair loss due to you pulling your hair out.

Angry My motors are ASTROSYN MINEBEA STEPPER M.

Quote Originally Posted by TOTALLYRC View Post
    Make sure you properly insulate the non connected wire. If it shorts against something it will blow the driver. If you need to figure out which wire is which, use an ohm meter. You will end up with 2 pairs of three showing continuity. The ends of the winding will show double the resistance as compared to the middle and end wires.

Mike
    I've looked everywhere for INFO on theses guys but all I found was MINEBEA Co. LTD, and some info for different steppers. The steppers motors I have say; TYPE: 23KM-K723-23V, P/N Mu. 2051273/01, No.T4312-01
    Theses have inputs on the motors. "they didn't come with connectors for them so I have to find someone who makes them or make a mold myself which I have already made one myself" They are 6 Inputs.
    The info I found for a close match say and I'll list a few different ones because they are all in the same class... The first page I came across says,
    Link: http://www.eminebea.com/content/html...st/index.shtml
    Product Line Up. w/PDF **********Model 23KM-K = Size[mm]-56 Step Angle [deg]-1.8 Torque Range [mNm]-400~1500 Max Input Current [A]-3.0 Resistance Range [Ohms]-0.6~28**********
    In the PDF it list a few with this number: 23KM-K but only a three with 23KM-K7 which are 23KM-K744U , K755U , K744B , No listing for the model Number I have K723-23V It does give a listing for which pin 1-6 Pin1 [A] 2 [A Com] 3 [A[ with a line above it] 4 [B] 6[B[with a line above it]

Quote Originally Posted by Musick7 View Post
    I have K723-23V It does give a listing for which pin 1-6 Pin1 [A] 2 [A Com] 3 [A[ with a line above it] 4 [B] 6[B[with a line above it]

While I am by no means a stepper guru, there are 2 ways to wire a 6 wire motor for use with a 4 wire/bipolar driver.

Connect A and APrime and B aand B prime to the driver and just insulate but do not use the other 2 wires. This will give you bipolar series. It should give the most torque, but low max speed.

The second way is to wire A and A common and B and B common to the driver, ignoring the A prime and B prime. This is called half coil or something and will probably give better performance as far as rapids go. A reputable driver manufacturer such as gecko can give you better advice on those particular motors and the best way to wire them to your drives.

Going back to your earlier questions, programing in 5 axis can be very difficult and a good cam program that can do it is not cheap.

I would not build a driver yourself, as it is usually a false economy.
    Go with the Gecko g251's, a 50 v power supply, and a good breakout board and save yourself all of the headaches. I just got the chance to use a g251 on my router and what a difference over the g201 at the same 50 volts. The morphing from micro to full step on the fly meant I was able to go from 9000 pps to 13000 pps for rapid moves. It makes a huge difference when drilling a sheet of parts with several hundred holes.

Mike
    Warning: DIY CNC may cause extreme hair loss due to you pulling your hair out.

I am not sure what driver you are looking at on Ebay but watch there is one for the money you are talking and when you get it there is no wiring diagram with and they can,t not supply you with the correct one.
    There is a thread on here about the seller and board and they have the same problem
    I will find the thread again and post it.
    You may be looking at a different board
    Do your self a favor and spend the money on Geckos or something good,you will be money ahead and save you sanity.
    I did a retrofit on a Smithy 3-1 awhile back with Geckos and it was great to build.

Question I found some better drivers I believe! Have a look see what ya thing

Quote Originally Posted by tpmx57 View Post
    I am not sure what driver you are looking at on Ebay but watch there is one for the money you are talking and when you get it there is no wiring diagram with and they can,t not supply you with the correct one.
    There is a thread on here about the seller and board and they have the same problem
    I will find the thread again and post it.
    You may be looking at a different board
    Do your self a favor and spend the money on Geckos or something good,you will be money ahead and save you sanity.
    I did a retrofit on a Smithy 3-1 awhile back with Geckos and it was great to build.
    HERE IS THE LINK FOR THE DRIVERS.
    https://mail.otc.edu/owa/ev.owa?ns=W...2&f=1_0002.jpg

I am also thinking about theses stepper motors Tell me what you think of the drivers and motors for a 5 Axis?

http://www.b2bmotor-manufacturer.com/R57BYG.htm

You'll need to open the PDF and scroll to the bottom Look for Model R57BYGH803 or anything though 801 thru 803 last 3 digits for the R57bygh series. The Rotor Inetia is 440... Theses should allow me to mill Aluminum correct? And the drivers should be pretty good right? Any thoughts on theses would could help me decide to keep my other motors and just buy the drivers or sell my others and get theses.

Hello - I have a 23KM-K307 Minebea without a connector also. Have you had any luck in locating a source for the 6 pin harness yet? If you're still interested in building your own board, there is an inexpensive one here: http://www.instructables.com/id/Easy...and-Driver-ci/ I got most of the components for a 3 axis board for under $30. My machine will be for hobby use not production so speed is not that important right now.

Have you thought about making your own harness? Do you need the color of wire that match the pins?

Smile Yes I have thought about that and I have a mold of it already

I do however need to know what wires do what?? This has 6 leads
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Drools View Post
    Have you thought about making your own harness? Do you need the color of wire that match the pins?

Stepper motor connectors

Hey all, I'm not sure if any of these will fit your motors, but they worked on my Vextra's

http://www.futurlec.com/ConnPolHead.shtml

This site has all sorts of cool connectors and other electronics! The site is hard to navigate tho.. You have to browse the "left" menus, and then switch categories on the "top" of the page.

The connectors I used were the .100 Connectors. Make sure you get pins also. They plugged right into my motors, but if they don't fit perfectly, I'm sure you should be able to "rig" them into fitting easier than making something from scratch.

Hope this helps! Peace!!!

I found another site with other connectors that may work better.

http://www.hobbyengineering.com/SectionHD.html about halfway down the page. I think these will work better, cause of the alignment tabs, and friction lock.

Header .100 Female Wire Connector 6-Pin w/ Friction Lock