585,898 active members*
5,077 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Shizuoka ST-N/AN-S Low/High gear...

I feel bad for always asking questions but I guess as a newb that's all I can do for now until I learn more... so here goes another one...

I have a Shizuoka ST-N that was in pieces when I got it. It came from a guy that used to do repair work on them and all of the parts were just grabbed at random from different boxes. I'm getting the feeling some of the parts I got were either modified prior or were off of a different model. I can't seem to get both the high and low gears to work. I've tried the fork in both directions, flipped over both bearing to fork mounts one at a time, and tried just about every combination of installing them with no luck.

Do any of you Shiz owners have pictures of your high/low gears? The only thing I have been able to see might work involes getting the bottom gear on the low side machined to lower the bearing. I'm new to machining and was told by someone that it was too hard of a metal to turn and there was nothing I could do. Until I get this resolved, I'm stuck with one very large and expensive paper weight.

Any help you wonderful group of people might be able to give would be REALLY appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks in advance,
    David

Hope my solution works...

So I decided to go ahead and make a new fork for the low/high selector. It is only used to raise and lower a gear that engages and disengages the back gear so I don't think it will be too hard.