Hello everybody,

Got a nice industrial servo amp taking analog command, and want to use it with MACH3 ou EMC2 with STEP/DIR? You are at the right place!

Yesterday I successfully tested my first proto of YAPSC:10V. Whereas it still lack some documentation it is ready for production, I am getting pro made PCBs and components order soon.
This board is based on a dsPIC30F4012, and uses a modified code from Lawrence Glaister's dspicservo.

On top of that, it is Open Source (GPL) so you can modify it to your needs!

FEATURES :
  • Takes position feedback from quadrature encoder on the servo (resolvers cannot be used directly but some amps can output quadrature signals from the resolver feedback)
  • Compatible with both torque and speed controlled amps
  • Takes STEP/DIR command from PC
  • ENABLE signal from PC can disable the amp
  • Output amplitude can be selected from +/-0V to +/-10V, to feed +/-10V or +/-5V amps
  • Jumper selected TTL or differential quadrature encoder input
  • FAULT input from the servo amp
  • Reset/ENABLE output to the servo amp
  • One additional input for future use
  • Programmable max error limit : 0 (disabled) to 32768
  • PID tuning program for linux, windows (and probably Mac OS) : YTT (under development)
  • STEP/DIR input multiplier (allows faster speed)
  • 1MHz max step and encoder rate!
  • etc.

NOTE: There is NO power stage on this controller! It is specially designed to control those industrial speed or torque drivers.

CODE, SCHEMATICS AND PCB :
here (3.6MB file)

PICTURES :
3D view from KICAD
PCB
first proto in test

VIDEO :
This is a sneak preview to show how fast and accurate it actually is. The servo is a 0.5KW (~3/4hp) 3 phases servo from Seidel driven by a Digifas 7200 and YAPSC:10V. It's quite impressive knowing it goes from 0 to 2000 rpm in less than 0.3 seconds!
STEP/DIR input is from EMC
[ame="http://youtube.com/watch?v=x_aorBS_nAY"]http://youtube.com/watch?v=x_aorBS_nAY[/ame]

NOTE (legal part):
You can compile the dsPIC's firmware with the free student version of MPLAB C30 compiler. In that case, any other use than research/study is strictly forbidden (limitation due the compiler's student licence).
Yet zip contains the project compiled with a full licence of MPLAC C30 compiler so the only limitations is from the GPL licence (read included gpl-3.0-standalone.html for more infos)
I will take no responsability in case of personal injuries or material damages! This project comes without any warranty and support! ...altough I will be pleased to answer you questions

That's all folks!