585,712 active members*
4,240 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

C10 BOB Problems

I just got my package from Keling and have been trying for two days to get anything to move.

I have:
    Desktop pc with a pci paralell port card
    C10 BOB
    3x KL-5060
    3x Nema17 2A 4wire Steppers
    48V psu

I have one stepper wired to the 5060 and it wired to the C10 so when I short either the Dir/Step to the com pin the motor moves as expected. I have a switch on pin 10 and 5V (EStop). a 5v/1A wall wort connected to the power and 5V on the EN pin.

I connected the pc to the C10 and turned on Mach3 but I cant get anything to happen, the estop doesn't register on the pc and mach wont move the motor. I noted that under port settings if I select port #2 and apply the emergency light stops flashing in mach's diagnostics page but when I have port #1 selected it flashes. Also noted that I can randomly make up a hex number and the above things happen all the same so I think mach is not even accessing the parallel port at all.

Does anyone have an idea what is going wrong? Im pretty certain its all wired correctly but mach3 has so many numbers, buttons, and pages of settings I don't even know what to look at.

Is the pci parralel port address set up correctly in "mach"?
    If you have pci card, it should look like "DFA0". Mach's default setting is "378" - it's legacy LPT port integrated into motherboard. PCI card has different port address.

See pic in attachment
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails portpins.gif  

Do you have other things running in the background on your computer?
    anti virus programs, updates/auto saving features ect..
    menomana

You can get a wealth of information on inputs and outputs on the MACH Diagnostics Tab. You should be able to see the E-stop (Pin 10) signal change on both input LED AND the Raw port bits monitor. If you don't have two parallel ports then don't enable port2. The C10 only handles one port anyway. As gorbin says the motherboard parallel port is almost always 378 hex (shown in MACH as 0X378). An expansion port will have a random hex address and you need to open the Device Manager in Windows, find the expansion port(s) and get their Hex address. The C10 documentation should have the proper setup steps for their card. On a fully isolated input card all the inputs run through Opto circuits. The inputs need a source of separate DC to drive them. Once again the docs for the card will cover this if the inputs are isolated.

TOM CAUDLE
    www.CandCNC.com
    Totally Modular CNC Electronics

I have tried my devices listed address (io is D800 for my pci card) and have put 0xD800 and 0x800 in mach and it didn't work.

It does not matter what I put into the port addresses as mach's diagnostics screen under Port 1 Pins Current State ALWAYS gives the same output that never changes even if I put in 0xFFFF

I installed an older version of Mach3 (R2.063) and now instead of the lights in pin 1 current state on and emergency flashing I get nothing at all no matter the address.

Torchhead: The C10 instructions are a piece of paper explaining the outputs in an ultra generic since. I have the board powered and the estop in the proper places.

The whole problem is I get no change on the mach diagnostics screen. I have tested my parallel cable for continuity and every pin is strait through and a good connection.

The only things installed on this pc are Firefox and Solidworks. no antivirus and windows updates are disabled.

Quote Originally Posted by 2_many_hobbies View Post
    The only things installed on this pc are Firefox and Solidworks. no antivirus and windows updates are disabled.
    None of that matters at this point. It would seem that MACH does not see the card. Make sure it's the address listed in the LPT port address. Some cards install as "multifunction cards" and if you try to use that address it does nothing.

The other thing is if this is a two port (2 parallel port) card. You may be using the wrong port address. Logically it would be the LPT1 address but that MAY not be the DB25 plug on the PCI card itself. If you do have a dual port card then try the secondary port address as MACH port1 OR physically switch the port the C10 is connected to.

You need to make sure the port is setup as ECP or EPP signaling.

That's about as far as I can take it. If it's a BOB problem you need to seek help from the vendor.

About the only way to verify the port is REALLY working (Windows will lie to you) is to hook up a printer and print to that port.

TOM CAUDLE
    www.CandCNC.com

Hey, thanks for the help but I seem to have accidentally found the problem.

I removed my wall wort powering the BOB and removed it from the GND/5V on the power in but left the jumper between 5V and EN. An hour later I plugged the parallel cable in and the BOB;s power light came on. The C10's instructions says it needs its own power supply but somehow its on.

I went to mach and immediately all my inputs worked and the motors jogged with no troubles. I plug my wall wort in and even though the light is on their is no communication.

I defiantly have the power supply hooked up right, I metered everything and I could short COM and pin2 to get the motors to step so maybe their was some ground issues and the pci card was disabling the port to keep it safe or something like that. I have been running it all day with no external power and just the parallel plugged in an no problems.

It might be a driver issue. I am not familar with your drives, but I do run a C10 BOB on all three of my machines with Gecko's. I have 2 201's on the lathe and 6203V's on the mill and router.
    I do use a 5VDC supply on each. The jumper on the C10 is different for the 201's. It needs a 5VDC for the common on the drives, but the 203V's need a ground.

I need the 5VDC on all my computers for the emergency stop. That is the main reason I use the C10's. I have a few straight through BOB's, but had issues with the ESTOP on each machine until I swapped them for the C10's.
    Lee