585,762 active members*
4,134 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > G540 absolutely will not come out of FAULT mode... PLEASE HELP!

G540 absolutely will not come out of FAULT mode... PLEASE HELP!

For information purposes...

Operating system: Windows XP
    Software: Mach3
    Power Supply: KL-600-48 from Kelling
    Motors: KL23H-284-35-4B (387 oz/in) also from Kelling
    G540: Rev 4
    Machine: highly modified X2 Seig mini mill

I bought a rev3 G540 sometime in the early fall of 2008. I set up the electronics and worked through the g540 setup instructions on the Gecko website. When I got everything installed and set up, I plugged in the power and got... the horrid FAULT mode LED.

Laughing at me.

So, with the power on, I checked everything with the multimeter- everything was putting out the voltage as it should according to specs. Still- nothing. I wired in an E-stop button, using the schematic on the website as my reference. Still laughing at me from Fault land. Checked voltages again, checked my BIOS again (still in EPP mode) checked my setup again, and it was all good. While checking my power supply, something happened and the FAULT light went out, but the green light didn't go on. I figured I might have killed it and sent it to Gecko for eval. It came back with a note saying its motherboard was upgraded to rev 4, but nothing else. I put the g540 back into the system, but pulled out the E-stop loop and went back to the jumpering of pins 10 and 12. Again, the FAULT gods are STILL laughing...

I'm now tired of being laughed at...

I've combed through everything I know to do (I'm not all that good with microelectronics, unfortunately) and looked through the web and CNCZone for any clues with no luck. The only thing I haven't done is tried to load the .XML file (because I don't know what to do or how to do it... I have the file on the computer, but what now?). I've gotten the FAULT without plugging in any of the motor cables, so its not the motors... The only thing I can think of is there might have been some kind of voltage spike that could have eaten my parallel port, but I don't know how to test that, either... Anyone have any idea where I go from here? I'm at a complete loss...

-Farasien

Question

Farasien,

Have you tried disabling the charge pump on the G540?

There is a small black switch inside the G540.

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Isn't the charge pump needed for Mach 3?

I haven't tried turning off the charge pump, no, but isn't the CP needed for MACH3 to use the G540? If not, how does one go about cracking the case open? I didn't see any screws holding it together anywhere...

-F

Farasien,

I believe the "new" rev4 G540 snaps together without screws.

Mach3 does not require the charge pump in order to work, it is a safety feature.

We have seen several parallel ports that will not work properly with the charge pump.

If the charge pump signal does not pass though the parallel port the G540 will remain in a fault state.

Disabling the charge pump on the G540 eliminates one possible issue.

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

The switch is located at the outside edge of the terminal strip. You don't HAVE to open the case to move this switch. If you have a dental pick or maybe even a bent paper clip, you can reach down at the edge of the TS and move the switch.

As shown here, the charge pump is enabled. To DISABLE the charge pump, move the switch (To the right in the pic where you can SEE the switch--To the left in the pic where you CAN'T see the switch) towards the outside edge of TS.

CR.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_3393-copy_edited.jpg   100_3420-copy_edited.jpg  

If your G540 would'nt come out of fault here are the things that will cause it.
    1. Bios not set to EPP
    2. Wrong Port address in software
    3. Pin 10 of the G540 terminal block open to ground
    4. Mach3 not loaded
    5. Mach3 not configured properly

Dan Mauch
    www.camtronics-cnc.com
    low cost cases for the G540 and other Gecko drives.

Quote Originally Posted by Farasien View Post
    I haven't tried turning off the charge pump, no, but isn't the CP needed for MACH3 to use the G540? If not, how does one go about cracking the case open? I didn't see any screws holding it together anywhere...

-F

Dan Mauch,

If the parallel port is not 100% EPP compliant the G540 will not come out of fault mode.

We have had several users that have experienced this particular issue, you may want to add it to your troubleshooting documents.

Jeff...

Hi,

One thing you need to check is that under the general config in MAch3, is that you have the Charge Pump in ESTOP enabled.

If you don't you get yourself into a circular loop.

The EStop fault into mach3 is active as there is no charge pump, AND, there is no charge pump as the EStop fault is active.

Cheers,

Peter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cPump.jpg  
    -------------------------------------------------
    Homann Designs - http://www.homanndesigns.com/store

1) Disconnect all motor DB9 connectors.
    2) Switch the CHARGE PUMP IGNORE switch to OFF.
    3) Short DISABLE (term 10) to GND (term 12).
    4) Apply power. The green LED must light if everything is OK with the G540.

If it's a REV3 or earlier, return it for a free REV4 upgrade.

Mariss