585,996 active members*
4,923 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Help with spindle orient

Help with spindle orient

Hello all!
    We have a 1992 Fadal 3016 w/88 control that has spindle orient issues.
    We went into the parameters and adjusted the spindle orient variable up and down by small increments as per the manual, but we still have inconsistent spindle orientation.
    What we see is it will orient OK most of the time (although slowly compared to the 2001 and 2006 machines we have.), but occasionally it will either not turn the spindle enough to lock in, or it will over-run the detent and eventually fault.
    The air pressure on the machine is a consistent 90-100 psi.
    My question is, are there any other adjustments or wear items I need to look at or is this just a sign of age on the machine?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
    James Winn

This happened to me on "89" Fadal VMC40...

... I finally found that the air valve that drives the cam in the spindle orintation was not working correctly. I called the manufacturer of the valve and they sent me a new one for less than half what Fadal parts wanted. In fact, I later sent them the old valve and they rebuilt for half more of that. Never had to use it, just kept it as a spare. :banana:
    Also check the air cyclinder and the prox. switches are working. It could be something else but that's all the input I can give.(group)

Oh ya... I think..(Not sure without looking at the parts book) that the Cam roller bearing could have rusted up and cause slow orint. Lastly worn cam pocket.

Steve

We just fixed that problem on my 4525 15000rpm 2003 machine, tried the orientation factor0-35, didnt do squat. Ended up "auto-tuning" the inverter and it orientates itself before the air kicks bearing in cut-out. Before went 100rpm with cam clicking in and out before timing out.

Thanks for the input!

Thank you to all who have replied to this thread!
    I removed the spindle cover to inspect the mechanical end of the machine and indeed found a worn orientation cam pocket (and probably the detent bearing as well). I am unsure if this is the total problem, but certainly an issue...
    While in there I cleaned the high/low idler rollers and inspected the remainder of the upper spindle workings and all looked good.
    Keep thinking on this one if you would and let me know if you come up with any other ideas.

Respectfully,
    James Winn
    Sierra Machining & MFG., LLC

I believe the worn detent/bearing is a result of the overspeeding spinde orientation, not a cause of the problem. In other words the spindle speed while orientating causes all problems, wearing parts and causing faults. Good luck!!

Scanfab...

Yes, that’s a good point Scanfab, “cause and effect”. After replacing those items, readjustment of parameters and checking the function and adjustment of both the air cylinder and valve just to make sure you’re not also fighting a air leak i.e. low pressure and loose fasters … is a thought.
    Good luck I'm glad your zeroing in on the problem, keep us informed!!:wave:
    Steve

Easy advice to give cuz 2 weeks ago went through this EXACT case. Still have worn indentation wheel, hit up bearing. We look at possibility of low air pressure ect, nope.
    Now after the "auto-tune" of the spindle inverter the spindle turns it's self to the right position- stops- and then the bearing engages onto the STOPPED spindle. Much different than trying to stopthe inertia of a 20hp motor with a bearing/indentation.