585,922 active members*
3,677 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Retrofit Problem with Proximity Switches

Retrofit Problem with Proximity Switches

Hello Everyone,

I am retrofitting a older hurco (KM3P) with viper200 drives. A lot of the "stuff" from the original machine I am keeping (servos, power supply transforers limit switches etc.). Here's the problem I hope someone on here can help me with...

My power supply is the original one that came with the machine. It has 5V 12V, 24V and ret. pins. The original wiring (for X and Y) has the motor power, encoder, proximity switches and tach (tach no longer needed) running through one plug for each axis. The encoder and the proximity switches share a 5V lead with it branching off to the limit switches at the motor. So my questions are below. Also, I am using a cnc4pc breakout board #C11G

1) The encoder output on the vipers has a 5V pin. Do I have to bring my encoder 5V from there?

2) Can I still use the same 5V wire to supply the encoder and the proximity switches?

3) How do I wire the switches so that I can use them with my breakout board and mach3? Use a 5V relay?

Any suggestions you would have to offer would be appreciated!!!

Allen

When you say proximity, switches are you referring to the Hall effect switches in the motor? or are these regular proximities used for limits or other?
    If these ARE regular proximity switches it is rare and also bad practice to use these in encoder 5v supply, so I would tend to use the existing 5v for these, usually proximity switches are 24v, at least.
    If the Vipers have a 5v output and it will supply the encoder current, then it should be no problem.
    I would use the drive supply over a separate one, unless the forsaid current demand is a problem.
    You need to know if the proximity's are sink or source output and the nature of the BOB input.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Al_ The_Man,

Now that I went back an re-read my post I seen how it was not clear as to what the prox switches are for. Sorry about that.

The prox switches are the limit switches. All the wires for each axis come out of the cabinet through a plug in connector, amphenol I think is what the are called. Outside of the cabinet all the wires run to the box on the outside of the servo motor. Then three wires branch off to two limit (proximity) switches. They have one five volt wire going to the servo motor box then it splits off to go to the limit switches and to the encoder. Z axis however is different, it has mechanical switches.

Hope this makes things more clear....and thanks for your fast reply!!!

Allen

What information is on the proximity switches?
    You can use 5v ones, but I suspect that someone took a few short cuts with the original installation, due to possibly no 24vdc control.
    If you intend using these, then I would run them separate to the encoders and supply them from the existing 5v supply.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.