585,667 active members*
3,870 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Mechanical Engineering > Linear and Rotary Motion > Help with THK rails & blocks (mismatch?)

Help with THK rails & blocks (mismatch?)

Have some THK HSR-15 blocks (HSR15A1SS & HSR15R1SS) as well as some supposed 15-series THK rails. The rails are different lengths, and I'm pretty sure they're chopped up from longer rails, but they're the same dimensions otherwise.

The blocks don't seem to fit on the rails. The problem area seems to be the narrow part of the setup, below the bearing ways. I know they recommend a special jig to get them on, but the narrower parts of the block are 10.40mm, while the narrow section of the rail is 11.00mm (0.6mm too big). All other dims seem fine. Unless the whole metal body of the block itself is meant to expand when loaded on, I don't see how they would fit.

While I could find all the spec sheets on THK's website for the blocks themselves, I couldn't find a single spec for the rails at all, aside from length.

Is something mismatched here?

I do know that there are HSR and SRS style rails both come in 15 series sizes. The rails have a different angle to them.

Howdy,

This link will take you to a pdf that shows the HSR rail profile, page 2.

https://tech.thk.com/en/products/pdf...gelink/uv2.txt

I have a SSR 25 rail from THK that looks nothing like it really. 2 groovs on top and o on each side in the top of the cut away(cant find the camera....)

Hope that helps.

DC

Hi Daemonfly

What are the numbers /Letters on the Blocks it looks like they are for 12mm rails or if they are 15's then they are for a different rail series
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by Dentedcrown View Post
    Howdy,

This link will take you to a pdf that shows the HSR rail profile, page 2.

https://tech.thk.com/en/products/pdf...gelink/uv2.txt

I have a SSR 25 rail from THK that looks nothing like it really. 2 groovs on top and o on each side in the top of the cut away(cant find the camera....)

Hope that helps.

DC
    It's the right profile, for 4 ball position rails, too bad that only gives the dims for the mounting holes

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Hi Daemonfly

What are the numbers /Letters on the Blocks it looks like they are for 12mm rails or if they are 15's then they are for a different rail series
    I have HSR15R1SS(GK) & HSR15A1SS(GK) blocks. All "HSR-15" series blocks.

The blocks only have what looks like lot numbers laser etched into them, this number differs across a few blocks, yet they're identical blocks, per series number.

OK then, Try this one...

https://tech.thk.com/en/products/pdf...E1_01-B062.pdf

Looks like more specific measurements.

DC

Slightly more info, but just the height & width of the rail. I've been through all the files I could find on their site, and they always have detailed specs on the blocks, but never the rails, at least the measurements I need (narrow part).

But, to note, that pdf has a width & height of 15-series rails at 15mm x 15mm. My rails are 15mm wide, but only 13mm high. The 2mm height difference doesn't seem to be the issue.

I'm 90% sure that if I took a file or grinder to the problem area, and shaved off 0.5mm on each side of the block, it would fit rather nicely. I'm almost tempted to try it too.