585,902 active members*
4,298 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > CNC Swiss Screw Machines > Feeding in C axis on a Citizen A16?

Feeding in C axis on a Citizen A16?

Hi all, I have a quick question...

I have a citizen A16(a pretty basic machine) and was wondering if its possible to feed in the C axis with it?? I can index to 1 degree, but I need to cut a slot that looks like a U in a part. I cant find anything in the manual relationg to feeding, so i think i might have find another solution, but i wanted to ask the gurus here before I tell my boss it can't be done.

thanks in advance!!

hello
    this is kind of machine that no c axis function.

To make a slot around the part, thus needing the c-axis feed can be made in what one might call virtual C-set C at 0 and feed endmill into part from + side. Retract and turn C to end of slot, say C=15. Feed endmill into same slot from - direction and result will be a wrap around slot with wierd bottom.
    Would that work?

IO was thinking that would my backup plan, to plunge the EM a few times at intervals around the slot, and then just index with the EM in the slot to deburr the little "tabs" that would be left....
    Our factory rep. says use M18 with H6, but there is nothing about that in the manual... i'm gonna go look now.

thanks all!

Why C Axis

Is there a reason you need to use the C Axis for this feature? The A model as far as I know is an indexing model but you can use the Gang Tool Post to make features on the end of the part without rotating the C axis. If you’re looking at doing something that follows the OD of the stock, this might be a little tougher. The M18 command is for some Citizens for Spindle Indexing. This is similar to the M28 on the A model. Maybe if you can post some kind of print, we could understand a little better what you’re trying to do.

yes, the feature is like a U on the OD of the part, with the arms of the U parallel to the Z axis. (the U shape is milled out with a .062 endmill). That's why I need the C axis.

can anyone give me an example of the m18 H6 usage?? It seems like that should work, I just dont know what the syntax is.

thanks!!

It's kinda Simple

Turn Off Spindle
    M18 C0. C is absolute Will send C to Zero
    M18 H6. H is Incremental so C will Rotate 6 degrees.

The thing I don't know about is being able to Feed it with M18.
    I would try
    G1 M18 H6. F2000. (Degrees per Minute)
    Bill Cain
    www.partmaker.com

ah!
    ok, that sounds like it should work.

on my machine, M28 is a rapid spindle index, so I imagine M18 would allow mw to feed.

thanks very much!!
    When we get time to try it out, I will let you know how it goes

A-20 has C-axis function. I would think A-16 would too. To make this radius you will need a plane selction of I think, G17,G18 or G19 can't remember wich. Wich ever one is C and Z axis.

Cylinder Machining uses G12.1 along with a G16 line on the Cit L model. The A12/16 Manual does not show support for these commands so normally you would use a C angle and Z coord move in place of the normal Cylinder code. When moving the C axis with this code, the Feed needs to be changed to Degrees per minute. Then the next time you make just a Z move, the feed needs to be returned to normal.
    Bill Cain
    www.partmaker.com