585,729 active members*
4,900 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Mori SV500-Need to find skip X bit

To all,
    We are installing a TS27 Renishaw touch probe for tool setting and cannot get an answer from anyone at Ellison who knows the X bit to connect the "Slow" and free skip signal to. Looking at all the X bits in the Electrical Diagrams list, it may be X4.3 or X4.2. Not sure. Can anyone help or does anyone know the HS Skip Option Parameter and interface location for the Fanuc 18M control?

Thanks for any help you can give.
    ASI Guy

where are you located? Call mori seiki directly for the answer. Call 847 593 5400 (Chicago headquarters) and ask for John Roufus or Jim Stevens, they're the only useful people in that office. They can help you pretty easily.

You can test the bits by commanding skip to turn on in MDI and go to the X bits before hitting cycle start. Once you hit cycle start, you'll see the X bit change from 0 to 1.

Thanks for the numbers and contacts. I will indeed call on Monday. Also, let me get this right: I will be looking at the diagnostic X bits to see their status'. I command a G31 in MDI, but before hitting the cycle start switch, change back to view the X bits and press cycle start. Is this what you are saying? I understood X bits to only change when an input is grounded, such is what will happen when the probe tip is pressed, thus making a dry contact (or solid state, but the discussion remains the same) and sending ground back to the X input I/O on the NC side. I am curious how the G31 triggers a X bit change with no ground on the X input I/O. I am not saying it won't happen, just curious how this would happen? Brian

Its not specifically looking for a ground its looking for a finish signal or something to close the circuit. On renishaw atlm units to test you command G31 and then just press on the plunger with your finger to watch the x bit change (forgot about that part) same goes with the spindle mounted probe units. Command the unit to turn on, command skip with an x move and feed rate turned down to 0, press cycle start and just lightly press on the ruby to see if its sending the finish signal feedback to the NC unit. You can also test it with a part if you know that you are, say, .09 from the edge of the part and command G91G31X.11F1. The ruby has a lot of play in the unit and .020 should be enough to get a skip feedback

Smile

Ok, I understand that stuff, but where we are stuck is exactly where we connect the wires to the X bits I/0 point in the NC side of the electronics. If I knew that we are using X4 bit 3, I can easily see if it is working by connecting the probe to this control input and see in the Diags whether or not the control is seeing the probe contact closure. Problem is, I have no idea where to connect it. This is a Fanuc 18M control and it is not documented (skip input) in the Mori Electrical Docs. The guy at Ellison and I spent about 30 minutes on the phone Friday looking through I/O's and the entire ladder. What a pain. Maybe Mori Chicago will have an idea. Do you have any idea what option parameter is the HS Skip input? I know this is propriatory, but maybe someone can share to help us get moving. Thanks. Brian

Oh I thought you had the connections done already. I used to have the list of options but I didn't get them when I left mori . Try a google search for fanuc option parameter list... See if you can find something... As far as the connections go, try chicago... Roufus and stevens never let me down. Or try stanley tsushida... He's japanese but his english is good and so is his knowledge

Will do. Thanks for your help!

Brian