585,902 active members*
4,427 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12
    Quote Originally Posted by steve323 View Post
    Don't you just have to get the first 3 numbers set and then you can try all 100 possibilities for the last number without re-dialing the first 3 numbers? This would reduce the time it takes to work through all possible combinations.

That should be right and would potentially save many hours of work.

We have a safe that sat around for years and then we couldn't remember the combination or sequence. The manufacturer (now I can't remember who) would not give us the number unless we went through a certified locksmith. Luckily a relative worked for a locksmith in years past and he got us the combination.
    I filed it away in a safe place...another safe that I know I can remember the combo on.

See if you can find the actual sequence required, to open the lock mechanism itself.

I bought a safe cheap at an auction sale (really cheap!) when the guy that used to own it could not get ut unlocked in front of the crowd.

He had forgot to turn the dial back to zero before turning the button that actually moved the tumbler. (Sargent and Greenleaf, IIRC)

I use a few combo padlocks that require a similar, somewhat counterintuitive moves, for folks that are used to regular school locker combo locks, requiring both that the first turns be in the opposite direction of the ones you normally use, as well as the requirement to return to zero at the end of the sequence.

Try 25-50-50-25, and variations of that, but start by determining if your lock requires a LH or RH turn to start.

Cheers
    Trev

Any Updates? Curious as to what your plan is to open this guy.

I finally found the sequence for the lock and I'm not sure I can do it, but I may still try with the stepper idea (its only time and the computer will be doing all the work). I posed the question to Terry Andreasen @ allexperts.com and this was his reply:
    (
    Well, you have come to the right place. Feel free to let your
    locksmiths know that they can always contact me with their "SAFE"
    questions also.

First off, you have a Mosler, GSA vault door with a MR302-402
    manipulation resistive lock. The requirements the military has,
    is to reset the combination back to the factory combination if the
    vault door or security container is not in use or has been decommishioned.
    NOTE: they don't always follow this rule. This combo is 50-25-50.
    The dialing sequence is as follows:

4 times left to the first number, (50)
    3 times right to the second number, (25)
    2 times left to the third number, (50)
    1 time right, slowly to stop (around 80-85)

Left is counter clockwise, right is clockwise. Do not count the
    revolutions of the dial, count the individual number as it arrives
    at the index mark (12 o'clock). Do not spin or whirl the dial, but
    turn it smoothly, stopping accurately at each number.
    (snip)
    )

The main problem I see is the last part of the procedure
    (1 time right, slowly to stop (around 80-85) )

I have had a lot of work to do latly so have not had time to build to contraption to work the combanation yet, but I'll get some free time soon, I hope.
    Lots of Projects to work on
    Jimmy

Interesting idea to get it open, sounds like it should work if done correctly. Just be sure to put something in the code or arrangement (limit switch possibly?) such that if it does open it, it doesn't just put the lever back and try the next combo. I imagine you won't be standing there 24/7 to stop it once it is open...

I recently had a home safe lock it self shut (after a manufacturing defect raised it's head after 5 years). The back of the lock assembly worked loose and the internal relockers fired (meaning no more opening up). It took a somewhat local locksmith (1 hour away), six different trips to the house, each time he worked on it for atleast 4 to 5 hours. Finally got it open and fixed. Luckily the whole deal was covered by the manufacturer. It was quite a learning experience for me to see what's actually in the door of these things...
    Supermax YCM-40 Mill, Mach3, G320's, RogersMachine, PMDX-122 ---- Slowly coming up to speed... (that's me, not the machine)

Contact a local Locksmith to get his recommendation of a nearby company to open it for you. It happens all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by radioactive View Post
    I recently had a home safe lock it self shut (after a manufacturing defect raised it's head after 5 years). The back of the lock assembly worked loose and the internal relockers fired (meaning no more opening up). It took a somewhat local locksmith (1 hour away), six different trips to the house, each time he worked on it for atleast 4 to 5 hours. Finally got it open and fixed. Luckily the whole deal was covered by the manufacturer. It was quite a learning experience for me to see what's actually in the door of these things...
    I was able to open a cheap 1 cu ft fire safe in about an hour by drilling holes to expose the locking mechanism. The cheap plastic handle had broken off after about 10 years. I guess there is a huge quality difference between a real safe and the one I had.

Steve

Drill a few large holes in the door and place a few sticks of Dynamite .

You can always replace the door when you get it open

Or call Danial Ocean
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Quote Originally Posted by jimalb View Post
    The main problem I see is the last part of the procedure
    (1 time right, slowly to stop (around 80-85) )
    If this safe is similar to mine I believe "slowly to stop" means "very low torque". It hits some sort of index and will turn no further if the first 3 numbers are right. That is how you can tell if you got it open. It probably also means "a bit slowly" as the mechanism is a bit on the heavy side and I would think you do not want it to bang too hard on the index when you get lucky. If the numbers are wrong the 4th turn will continue to spin for as long as you wheel it.

I would try with a +/- 2 first and then if that does not work do the +/- 1

When you build the stuff it would be nice to test it with a safe that you do know the combination, just to make sure you got the wheeling right... i.e. count the number of times the number passes under the mark at the top and not the number of revolutions, etc. It may also tell you if you need to slow down at the end as you reach each number. The instructions for my safe do say something to the effect of treating it with care because the lock is a delicate mechanism.

One more thing, not sure if it is needed, but I always start by making a some turns to the right just to make sure that when I dial the left I have the whole 4 times required.

Good luck!

Page 2 of 2 12