585,997 active members*
4,844 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > OpenSource CNC Design Center > Open Source Controller Boards > starting offer usb joystick & keyboard pendant

Smile starting offer usb joystick & keyboard pendant

Here's at least the start of a Pendant controller , it's by no means a finished item , but with feedback from members , it no doubt will become a welcome addition , at the moment the code supports 24 keys & seperate joysticks for each axis , however from some feedback it's been suggested that one joystick is used and switched between axis to be controlled . so i am open to ideas along with ideas for a case and panel layout , cad files for ideas are gratefully recieved , along with any discussions . how about an Infra red port etc , one key will be reserved for an emergency off kill switch .

once we can agree on a panel layout and keys needed , i can then trim the code to suit and produce pcb's and panels , but if someone wishes to contribute then by all means go for it .

the gif file is a basic layout of the schematic of the working code
    the code is suited at the moment for an AVR Mega8 using AvrStudio v9 or greater .

Dave
    Attached Files Attached Files

Neat! Whats the plan on interfacing with a machine controller? FYI, The mega8 has a built in oscillator, unless there is something ultra timing critical, you don't really need the xtal. Can you post a little higher resolution of the schematic? It's pretty choppy in my viewer.

Phil

ps Love your chip choice, I believe the mega8 is probably one of the most versatile low cost chips out there. Cost's around $3.50 apiece, has an onboard 10bit a to d, onboard oscillator, lots of IO for a 28pin chip. You can fit a lot of code in 8K. I have a couple of design's (not cnc related around the mega8)

A friend of mine and I hopping to create a rotory encoder control setup with turn handles for xyz. With a pic interface. The interface would be capable of interfacing to an other pic chip which would be the step dir controll of a serial cnc controller.

Here's a better image , the code just about uses all the mega8 so probabley go for a MEGA16 , or even a 128 , the cost is not out of this world .

yes looking at fitting a rotary encoder too perhaps switchable to axis required , at this time the code is seen in windows as 6 joysticks and buttons
    as it was used in another life ! .

looking at adding in a 2 line LCD to show x y z positioning ( saves trying to look at the pc , i hope . but need a bit more feedback on the number of keys needed etc , so i can trim the code back or increase the avr size , but the code should work in any reasonable sized mega , everythings so flexiable
    until it's nailed down .

thought of using USB as most pc's now are even shipping without a serial port , so it's eniviatable USB will prevail , but could be a serial port anyhow

i see that CNCZONE'S admin posted a pendant panel in the downloads
    perhaps he may post the editable version and people can come up with visionary ideas ! , for this project .

Dave
    Attached Files Attached Files

What about rotory encoders instead of POT'S? pots you can only turn so far and they wear reall bad

Hi

I may not understand all of your reasons for designing a Pendant from scratch but why wouldn’t you use one of the already available Programmable Keyboards like X-Keys?
    http://www.ymouse.com/custom/xkmatrix.php
    You could purchase a ready to use key pad in various key numbers or just the key pad matrix and design your own set of buttons for your pendant. They are available in PS2 or USB. Don’t understand why you would want to reinvent the wheel when this stuff is already available?

Regards
    Bill

You don't learn anything by just going out and buying off the shelf stuff. The knowledge can be used to invent unique things in the future. I can easily afford to spend $30k to buy a cnc machine for my basement, but I get far more satisfaction from building one myself.

Quote Originally Posted by H500
    You don't learn anything by just going out and buying off the shelf stuff. The knowledge can be used to invent unique things in the future. I can easily afford to spend $30k to buy a cnc machine for my basement, but I get far more satisfaction from building one myself.
    Totally agree.

How often have I built things that to be honest I could of purchased cheaper ?

Probably too often.

The satisfaction of completing a project from the ground up takes some beating as well as the knowledge gained.

Sounds like a great project to me. I hope to see it progress. I'm not at the stage where I require a pendant but hope one day to construct one.

Look forward to following this thread Dave.

Cheers.