585,737 active members*
4,722 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Taig Mills / Lathes > Designing a quick change tool holder.

Designing a quick change tool holder.

Does anyone have any detailed drawing's of the Taig Headstock? I'm thinking about designing a QTH for the Taig mill. So far I've been thinking about designing something that would use Tormach style tool holders. So I'd probably need some sort of draw-bar system. Anyone have any thoughts? I know High Tech system's has a QTH for the Taig but I've heard mixed reviews, and its quite expensive.

I'm not sure if Nick Carter created this model or if he's just hosting the file. One way or another it's pretty darn good.
    http://www.cartertools.com/crookmll.zip

Twingy has also created a very nice looking Taig model, but so far as I know he has not released it, neither for sale nor for free. Check out his progress over here...
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70697

So I threw together a quick sketch of what I've been thinking of... No dimensions have really been decided yet. The Collet holder is 1.75" in diameter with the 0.75" threads to mount on to the ER16 spindle. The holder is 2" long. The tool holder while in the holder is 1.25" long. So that puts the entire assembly at 3.25" + tool -- This is really long....

The draw bar is a 3/8" bar with 1" of 1/4"-20 threads at one end. The collet doesn't really have any numbers it was just sketched to fit inside the holder.

The actual tool holder is a clone of a tormach basically, except with a 0.5" shank instead of 0.75" (its basically just smaller). The holder shown would except 0.375" shanked tools.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Quick1.jpg   Quick2.jpg   Quick4.jpg   Quick5.jpg  

Any update on this?
    Tormach PCNC 1100, SprutCAM, Alibre CAD

Quote Originally Posted by tikka308 View Post
    Any update on this?
    A little bit, was just thinking about this a few minutes ago since I have the spindle off. Measured it out well and have a decent model of the spindle going in SW.

Thinking about revising the previous idea bit. All I need to do is create a reference plane. I think I can turn a piece steel that'll thread on to the current collet threads. Then, I need to make a custom collet, basically a 3/8" er-16 collet with a pull stud at the far end. Then just need to make draw bar with finger grips, or this can be one solid unit with the draw bar screwing in to the custom collets. Then its just belview washers and air cylinders.

[Edit]
    Been looking around, can't seem to find "ER16 Blanks" or emergency collets. Little leary about trying to make an actual collet, I have never seen anyone actually manage to accurately turn a taper/slit the collet and come up with anything usable.
    [/Edit]

Smile

Hi guys,

Have you seen this thread: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80662 ? Around post No. 3 Herbert shows a very nice looking pneumatic tool change modification to a standard Sherline spindle which may be interesting and relevant to your project (or may be no use at all...)

Best regards,

Jason