584,862 active members*
5,415 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > Hello, I is Dumb as a Rock...

Hello, I is Dumb as a Rock...

Hello, I have been lurkin for quite a while. I am a welder/machinist, old school, can make anything by hand. I think a Rock may be a bit smarter when it comes to electronics. When it works it works good, but when its broke, it's all over but the cryin. If I can't fix it, I don't want it. Having chased problems with vehicles, I ripped out all the puter stuff and went back to a carburetor. Less efficient, but if its dead on the side of the road, it is probably fixable.
    I service all of my own machines not an issue, but when I see a printed circuit board, its all over. Old machines had big relays, coils etc and have been for the most part been replaced by printed circuit boards.
    Taking some classes is cost prohibitive and I think I would be ahead of the game just to dive in with a not so simple project. I have soldering and de soldering equipment and do very well at it. I have a Simpsons VOM and some other simple test equipment. I have a lazer printer to make circuit boards and it looks simple enough. A few years ago I bought a book on buildin your own CNC robot by Geoff Williams. It was a good read, though I think he left one in the dark a bit.
    I haven't a clue what all the little diodes and resistors do. Couldn't tell ya what a moffset was or how the little micro controllers work. Electronics for Dummies is what I need.
    I would like to know if his board system is any good for say larger motors. Are there better processors, etc. Do I need an ociliscope for any of this kind of work. I canabalize everything, got lots of puters torn appart, VCR's, printers etc.
    I guess I am like the kid that sez why?, why do you need this, why is this this way, what does it do and why? Then how do you figure out what parts to use and its values.
    I gotta build something, like a CNC Router and a Plazma/Flame Cutter. Torches, Routers an Plazma, I have and lots of materials.
    I am also like many in here want to get the most bang for the buck. Little or No Budget. Plus I need to learn more about electronics.
    So here I am, please steer me strait.
    I hunt, fish, build cars and bikes, etc. Do enuff woodworking to consider myself a butcher.
    Have a nice day folks, Thank You

Bambi

If it is CNC you want to get into, download the Mach3 demo software and run it and see if you are up for it!
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Bambi:

Bambi:
    “Wana put on camo when I say that word”
    You gota be careful, I went to put away food one weekend and could not find a clear spot to store my beans, So I sat the bags down, grab a beer and started pondering the cabinets. That led to ripping them out, then when I replaced them the counter tops looked so bad, well another beer and dried out hands for a month and 2 grand later, I had me some tiled tops, oh.. Did I mention that the floor had raised 3 children 2 liters of Sheppard pups and a cat that I will send you if you want him? Needless to say, it has been 3 years and the kitchen is still not done. I guess I could have stored the beans in the pantry and saved myself a ton of work and money and well.. The wife,,,, well we won’t go there.
    I know what a mosfett is and have several scopes and have spent a lot longer learning electronic component theory, construction, blah, blah.. than my kitchen project. My advice, by the time you teach yourself electronics, buy used test equipment, and figure out old caps leak and require another test equipment at 300 bucks to test a 30 cent cap.. Well, ya mite want to look at plug and play or an off the shelf application for your machine build. Also you might also check the junk yards. I saw a guy once who took a plotter copier and made a nice cnc out of it. Also have seen good complete controls tossed out. Would hate to see you look for a place for your beans. Just my 2 cents worth. Best of luck to you.

Note: Out of 16 people there are only 2 types that understand Binary
    0=them that don't. ANDOR 1=them that do.