585,753 active members*
4,400 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Phife's First Build. Gantry CNC.

Hello all, my first post here. Started a build on a CNC machine that was originally created by the guys over at LumenLab. Ive been wanting to build a CNC for a few years now and they help me get started. Im left with trying to finish the machine with myself with no machine design experience. But I learn very quick and have made some good progress. I hope to finish the machine in the next few months.

If anyone hasnt seen the RoGR gantry robot over at Lumenlab.com, its a suspended gantry style robot.They have their prototype built and I am building off that. I bought their bearings and servos/encoders.

I am making all the aluminum peices either myself or via a local shop. I have already built the frame from 2.5" square steel. Its about 70l x 4w x 48 h. Cutting area of around 51"x25"x8".

I will be using this machine to route, carve wood, and mill aluminum to make more parts. I will have some sort of spindle for a tool. I eventually want to build add ons like an ATC, 4th or 5th Axis'

I have been learning all I can in the last year in preperation for building this machine. Im a woodworker by trade but started out with computers and can learn almost anything quickly. Since ive only had some time at nights after work i've been designing the machine in sketchup, i am learning solidworks now.

Machine is pretty much complete in 3D except for the screws. I am also not sure the final design of the Z axis.

Heres some pictures for you guys. lemme know what you think! Im very excited to jump into this world of CNC's!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Robot 1.jpg   Robot 2.jpg   Robot 3.jpg   RoGR 3 Zs 1.jpg  

RoGR V.Phife Final 2.jpg   RoGR Parts 1.jpg  

Yo man!

made some progress.. Frame is built, going to machine some of the motor mounts and bearing mounts myself on my X2 Mini mill. I'll post some pics soon.

Almost everything is chosen and will but purchase soon.

Heres a break down of what im using:\

4 Servos: 5/8" shaft, 800oz/in, 1200rpm, 72vdc12a Max
    4 Encoders: Quadencoder 1440ppr
    4 Drivers: Gecko G320
    1 Power supply: 65v 20a Keling Unregulated (*Is this ok?*)
    1 C11G Breakout
    30mm Linear Bearings on X
    25mm on Y
    20mm on Z
    2 1/2" steel square tube frame.

Anyone know if the power supply would be ok? I want to add extra axis later on.

My other power supply option is a 48v 12A Regulated

Well, its been ages since I posted. I finished my machine last august and have been busy building my new shop and starting my business.

My machine was based on the LumenLab.com RoGR, it was the first CNC machine LL sold kits to. They have since put aside the RoGR project to work on a smaller unit. Being one of the early adopters I figures I'd buy the Kit from them hoping to have support from them.

I can say I really regret that choice, IMO LL has never had great support for their products. I bought the Bearing Kit and Servo Kit from them, and I also based my frame design on theirs, since I had no CNC experience I was trying to copy what they had by looking at pictures, which was fun.

I ended up having to design my own machine in CAD since I had no dimensioned drawings to go off.

Taking on this project was a great learning experience. I now feel very comfortable with CNC machines, Electronics, CAD, CAM, and all the other things I had to learn to finish this machine.

I will start at the beginning posting pictures and information from where I left off almost a year ago with this thread.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0008.jpg  

Hello Phife,
    Good day, do you use ametek motor? What voltage on power supply for this motor? If I am not wrong that this motor have 38 volt nominal. On this cnc zone, somebody use 48 volt (unregulated) for motor. I have 4 of ea, and I want to use it on my mill.

The Frame:

The design of the frame was based on the LL RoGR, It is made of 2.5" x 2.5" 0.125" wall Square Steel. The outside frame dimensions are approx. 72.5"Lx42"Wx48"H

The working area for my machine is X48.75 x Y24.75 x Z8"

The machine is bolted together with 1/2" x 6" bolts.

The design is pretty much exactly the same as the LL machine. I didnt know anything about building CNC's so I went with the kit I bought.

Its bolted together in a way that it tends to want to square itself up. I primed and painted it a nice Mint Punch.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0037.jpg   IMG_0038.jpg   IMG_0039.jpg  

Motors and Linear Ways:

I bought the LL motor and bearing kits.

The unsupported rods are of the following diameter:

X=30mm x 1650mm (~67")
    Y=25mm x 950mm (~37.5")
    Z=20mm x 500mm (~19.5")

I find the flex on the X rods to be way to high. I wish I had gone supported rods or rails on the X and gone with the 30mm rod on the Y. At 200ipm the whole gantry bounces up and down when its near the center.

The motors are restickered ametek motors. They are rated for 38V DC 10A max. The Lumenlab sticker has them rated at 72V 12A with speed control.

I am running them at 72V. They use a US Digital encoder.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0002.jpg   IMG_0005.jpg   IMG_0021.jpg  

Electronics and Other Parts:

I am using 4) Gecko G320's to drive my Servos. The geckos are connected to the PC via the CNC4PC C11G BOB.

I am using a Keling 72V 20A (Includes 5v Regulated) unregulated Power Supply. This was probably overkill, I have an amp meter and havent seen it rise above 3.5A max with all 4 servos running at load. I havent seen any issues with running the servos beyond their actual specs. Had I known they were only rated for 38V nom. I probably would have gone a little less.

I use shielded CAT5 Cable for my encoder wiring and sheilded 16awg cable for my servo power. Wiring is cleaned up with Network cable breakouts at both ends and SLR connectors for motor power.

I am using leadscrews purchased from LL. They are 1/2" Acme 6TPI. They were cheap, and regret it a little. I was going to go with ball screws but couldnt afford it at the time. The X screws are too long and cause the screw to whip pretty bad. It keeps my top speeds below 150IPM.

To try and combat the screw whip I have 35mmOD x 10mmID 6202 bearings. There are 2 on the X motor drive end and 1 on the other X end so each X screw has 3 bearings.

The leadscrew nuts are made of UHMW and were made by LL.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0012.jpg   IMG_0017.jpg   IMG_0019.jpg   IMG_0024.jpg  

IMG_0015.jpg  

Electronics Enclosure:

My electronics and computer were originally going to be mounted in rack enclosures, but they are quite costly and decided to use the rack but with a rack shelf and standard computer cases. I bought 2 matching cases that fit nicely in my rack.

One holds the PC to run Mach3 and the other has the PS, BOB, Geckos, etc.

I have a couple of relays to control my startup and power estop, I also have a solid state relay that is use to dump DC voltage to a large resistor in estop or power down conditions.

I have a 6 port RJ45 Breakout on the front along with 4 XLR Chassis connectors and a digital DC AMP and DC Voltage meter.

The rack has a tiltable top which I mounted my LCD and Flexable silicone keyboard.

I am also using an Xbox controller in Mach3 to control my machine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 05012009125.jpg   05012009128.jpg   05202009129.jpg   05202009133.jpg  

05212009140.jpg   05212009141.jpg  

Good job on your build. The only negative thing about it is the unsupported rods but that isn't too hard to fix. Do you plan on changing the rods? Just and idea, for about a hundred in cncrouterparts.com's linear carriages and some cold rolled steel and 2 more square tubes, you could end that flex. It would be a simple and effective upgrade.

Aluminum and Machine design:

The machine is made entirely of square steel and 0.75" 6061 Aluminum. I designed the layout of the machine in Sketchup and used it to produce the dimensioned drawings I gave to my brother who is a millwright and machined the aluminum for me.

My design is quite different from the LL version, I made the changes where I thought the design needed improvement.

The machine is a hanging gantry type, If I were to design it again I would go with a more traditional design. Having the frame and gantry to high up makes the machine bed hard to access. I would also definatly go with Supported rails.

I bought a router mount from K2CNC and used that to hold my 2 1/4hp Poter Cable Router. I plan to buy a spindle eventually.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0039C.jpg   IMG_0040.jpg   IMG_0212.jpg   IMG_0213.jpg  

IMG_0214.jpg  

Well, thats its pretty much it for now.. If I missed anything or if anyone has any questions, comments please feel free to ask.

Heres some more pictures of the machine, and some signs ive made.

I am using Mach3 as my machine controller, and I have VcarvePro, Cut3d, and ArtCAM that I am using to do my CAD/CAM work.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0001.jpg   IMG_0006.jpg   IMG_0008.jpg   IMG_0009.jpg  

IMG_0010.jpg   IMG_0208.jpg   IMAG0029.jpg   IMAG0030.jpg  

IMG_0222.jpg   IMG_0230.jpg   IMG_0231.jpg   IMG_0232.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by asuratman View Post
    Hello Phife,
    Good day, do you use ametek motor? What voltage on power supply for this motor? If I am not wrong that this motor have 38 volt nominal. On this cnc zone, somebody use 48 volt (unregulated) for motor. I have 4 of ea, and I want to use it on my mill.
    Yes, These are ametek servos, they have just been re-labeled by LL. They are 38V nom 10A Max. I am running them at 72V unregulated just fine. If I were to buy a new Power supply for it, I would probably go for a 48v or 65V with maybe 10A

Quote Originally Posted by FandZ View Post
    Good job on your build. The only negative thing about it is the unsupported rods but that isn't too hard to fix. Do you plan on changing the rods? Just and idea, for about a hundred in cncrouterparts.com's linear carriages and some cold rolled steel and 2 more square tubes, you could end that flex. It would be a simple and effective upgrade.
    Thanks FandZ,

I would love to change out the rods, but it would involve a complete redesign if the X Gantry plates, which then changes the the entire Y/Z carriage. Not an easy fix, something I regret.

But the machine works really well as long as I keep it to about 100-120IPM cutting speed. There are no machine chatter marks on the wood when its kept at these speeds.

And my Linear Rod, and Bearing combo are much more accurate than that bearing carriage like the one cncrouterparts sells.

My next machine will be a much larger 4x8 or 5x10 and use fully supported THK rails on all axis. Hope to start on that later this year.

Ametek motor with different size

I have 2 kind of ametek motor. One is small with 4" diameter by 4-3/4" long, 38 volt and I have another one that is 4" diameter by 7" long, but I do not know what voltage to be used. Can somebody here know anything about voltage for this big ametek motor?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Image0249.jpg   Image0250.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by asuratman View Post
    I have 2 kind of ametek motor. One is small with 4" diameter by 4-3/4" long, 38 volt and I have another one that is 4" diameter by 7" long, but I do not know what voltage to be used. Can somebody here know anything about voltage for this big ametek motor?
    Thats a big ametek servo.. mine are the 4x4 3/4 kind and im running at 72V, and they are only rated at 38V..

You should be fine running the big servo at any voltage between 38V-72V.

I noticed your smaller servo doesnt appear to have an encoder shaft on the back? Do any of your servos have an encoder shaft?

On the big ametek motor, they have all encoder shaft. It is short, only .5 in. But on the small ametek motor, there is no encoder shaft. 2 ea small motor, there is tapped hole (1/8") that I think for encoder shaft. Maybe I will run at 60 volt DC for the big one to avoid what problems will arise if voltage too high.

Ive started work on a new Bed for my machine.

I currently only have a 1x1 square steel frame bolted at the corners to the rest of the machine frame via large U bolts, and a 1" MDF top.

The top has got all sorts of stains from oils and screw holes from spoil boards ive attached. The entire bed also sags in the center, I need to come up with a better solution.

I have designed a Vacuum table that I will use on my machine. It is comprised of the same steel 1" frame, with 2-1" sheets of MDF that have been vacuum pressed together and then sealed with a paint or sealer.

I will router out a 1/4" flat pocket into the MDF top, which should make the surface parallel to my router.

In the pocket I will bolt several cross braces made from 1"x1" Aluminum Tslot extrusion. This will divide the bed into 6 areas, that are 15.5" x 11.75" and each section will have a border of tslots to allow clamping blocks.

Each pocket will hold a vacuum pod, each pod will have its own valve to section off unused parts. The pod are made from 3/4" HDPE and will be a sandwich of 2 sections, so the pods will be 1 1/2" thick. I will router a vacuum channel into the bottom section to allow the vacuum to flow to 4 port in the top section, each port can be sealed to work on small parts.

I also have a waffle iron top that are 1/4" wide and each 3/4" x 3/4" island is further divided by a 1/8 ball groove.

I will build a prototype test out of some 1/2" starboard HDPE I have laying around and then build the 6 pods from a half sheet of HDPE once I know it will work. They want almost $300 for a 4' x 4' sheet of 3/4" HDPE here.

Heres some sketchup drawings.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNC Vac Bed Overview.jpg   CNC Vac Bed MDF.jpg   CNC Vac Bed Steel Frame.jpg   CNC Vac Bed Pods.jpg  

CNC Vac Bed Top (2 Sides).jpg   CNC Vac Bed Bottom (2 Sides).jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Phife View Post
    Electronics Enclosure:
    I am also using an Xbox controller in Mach3 to control my machine.
    Say what? That's pretty sweet. Are you using it as a joystick or as a mouse? Either way, it's a simple yet elegant way to jog the gantry, or just have fun with it, as I imagine. "Hey kids, come play with this!" :devious:
    Nanite CNC V2 under construction!

Quote Originally Posted by RiseUp View Post
    Say what? That's pretty sweet. Are you using it as a joystick or as a mouse? Either way, it's a simple yet elegant way to jog the gantry, or just have fun with it, as I imagine. "Hey kids, come play with this!" :devious:

I am using it as my pendant. I can control all my axis, I can control the start/stop, feed hold, feed rate, spindle, and I have variable speed control with the analog sticks and the back triggers. It also can change to step mode so I can quickly center the cutter where I need to.

There a couple of videos on youtube, just search for xbox cnc.

Page 1 of 2 12