585,933 active members*
4,024 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Cutting 5052 Aluminum

Hey folks been awhile since I posted but need some input. When I started the original Dynatorch thread it was awesome!! We exchanged alot of ideas and information on SPV, feed rates, tips, IPM etc. All the settings I have for steel are spot on. So, now I need to cut some parts out of 5052 Alum.
    Anyone cut that before? If so I would appreciate some input on the settings so I dont waste sheet and tips.

Dynatorch 5x10
    Powermax 1000 cutter

Great to see so many users chiming in on projects and that all the DT owners are enjoying their machines.

Thanks!!!
    Ed-Ryno
    www.rynomobility.com

Ed, I have cut alot of .080 & .125 5052 aluminum with my dynatorch. What thickness are you interested in cutting? Cutting larger shapes works great however warpage can be a problem if you are doing alot of cuts in a small area on the material. I recently did a pattern on a 24" x 24" sheet of 3/16. It was basicly the shape of an (H) 13" high, 7" wide with a circular center (for mounting a fan). After cutting the center circle 1st I started on the perimeter and the thermal expansion caused the material to move an 1/8" during the cut which made the legs of the (H) difference widths. When possible you can pause the torch between cuts to allow for cooling. A spray water bottle helps also. I use a Hypertherm 1250 and fine cut tips. I will have to retreive the settings for you later when I go to the shop. I usually only do 1 part at a time when I cut aluminum and the part I cut is worth several hundred dollars when I place it on the table so there is no room for mistakes.

Hey Joe,
    Thanks for the reply. I am cutting 3/16 thick sheet. Its for a wheelchair ramp and has 1/2 wide, rounded end slots, 5" long. The total size is 34 x 35, and there are 12 of the slots in each piece. The slots provide traction for a wheelchair when entering the vehicle.
    I messed around with some Aluminum after I got the machine running, but was using a 60amp tip and didnt spend too much time dialing it in. Id like to be able to do the 5052 so I dont have to pay for waterjet cutting. I appreciate the help!!
    Have a great day

Edward Pic
    Ed-Ryno
    www.rynomobility.com