585,954 active members*
4,657 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: crashes

crashes

I have a question that all people in here can probably answer. What is the craziest machine crash you have personally caused or seen?
    Mine would be when one guy in our shop was programming our new HAAS SL-20 APL and I guess he didn't check his positions and crashed the turret into the chuck. Which then in turn snapped the chuck jaw bolts off and threw the jaws and jacked up the turret. All in all it cost us a new turret and unfortunately it cost him his job. But it was crazy stuff watching that happen.

I have seen something like that. One of our overseas "experts" was working on a lathe that he had never seen before. Well he wrote a program and never punched in any of the geometry offsets before pressing the cycle start button. The impact was so hard it knocked the chuck ($3000) off the spindle, trashed the spindle bearings ($1500) and the turret need to be rebuilt ($2500 in parts) but he didn't lose his job, he got promoted!

I explain how I did it in Post #5 in this thread:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58004
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

wow... we had a guy tear the underarm support off a 30' tall boring mill, when he tried to G0 the spindle back in, about 8 " to far, judging by the offsets. Man, he almost came fly'n out of the basket when that thing slammed home, seeing as how he was asleep... ha!

Not horrible, but funny. Years ago, first job in a shop, I was running an old Mori that had skirts on the bed, not a fully enclosed machine (80's vintage?).

The shop was prospecting work from NASA, they sent 2 people down, inspectors or QA or what ever, to check the shop out, look around and they spent a lot of time in the inspection department. They come walking through the shop with the owner and the shop QA manager, a little slight of hand, and I shot a drill bit accross the isle right in front of them Ooops.... Wasn't a big deal, but very embarrasing. They gave the shop some work anyway, guess they didn't mind too much.

a horizontal job with a $15,000( material cost) chunk of titanium , one off
    It was a huge clevis that had days of hogging and surfacing , i was running one of the finish programs that was to run for most of my shift , the programmer was standing beside me assuring me to kick back and relax it will be doing this for a while , then CLOW the machine stopped dead , turned out there was a rotation in the program that shouldnt have been there , there was enough force to snap the cat 50 holder in half , luckly that was the worst of the damage , dialed er up and all was good
    I know there was no real blood and guts to the story , ive had some nasty ones but that one was the largest lump ive ever had in my throat , and pants
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........