584,837 active members*
5,372 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Red face Reporting in !

Hello all at CNC zone.com !!! My Name is Norm and I am from Ontario !
    Don't mind the NickName !!! it's a long story !

I am Green with envy at some of the Skills you guys have and I am eager to learn !!!

My main goal is to be able to make Small 2D and 3D parts out of Machinable plastic ( Delrin )or wood ( MDF ) and turn those into Silicon Molds to make Resin parts for another Hobby of mine...

I have no experience what so ever with Mills, Lathes or Routers for that matter but I am Stepping up to the Plate... I love making things with my hands and this mixes Computers and Machines and I like that !

I am currently building a Wooden (MDF) Tabletop CnC router which should be completed in the Spring... Time and money permitting...

I would like to ask for help !

Regarding Canadian Sources for CnC parts like Stepping Motors, Controlers and such !!!... I have done some purchases in the States so far and I have hit a Speed Bump with McMaster-Carr, they Refused my Order ! cuz I was a New Customer ! and supposedly due to Export duties paperwork.. Weird but Ok !!!

So I will take my Money Elsewhere....! But where in Canada ?
    I live in the Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal Triangle... So I could drive if a shop is close enough from my Place....

The CnC Router Plans I am following, requires a few MXL Timing belts and Geared pulleys to run the X and Y axis Gantries and I would like to change that to Worm Screws ! if I can't get those Timing belts and Gears in Canada !!!

Running a slew of Gears and pulleys to transfer the Stepper Motors motion is still an Option !!! but replacing all that with One Motor for the X Axis and Two Stepper motors running in parallel for the Y axis if the "Pulse Card" will allow it ??? would be a more precise and long lasting machine !!!

If the Y axis double stepper Motors set-up is possible ! Do I risk getting the gantry Crooked ??? if the motors get out of sync ???

:drowning:

I hope I haven't scared you away Yet ??? I have many questions.... as you can imagine.... if you need photos... I can arrange for that !

Looking forward to Learn from many of you !!!

Norm

OUT !

Not sure about Canadian supplier, but Tom Caudle at candcnc.com has helped many people with there cnc projects.

Welcome to the cnc forums.To run 2 motors on 1 axis you need to slave them, so you need a 4 axis control drivers. Check Roton for drive screws and such, they ship to Canada.But they use ups. I had a bookmark for a Canadian cnc hardware site but cant find it, sorry. I,m sure some one will help there. Graham

Talking

Thanks for the Info....

I am happy to find that out !!! I am pretty sure someone had Told me about
    an 'A' axis and copy and send the Info from Y to A .... Basically what you said !

Thanks...

to both of you !

Norm

out !