585,925 active members*
3,457 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Extra Slag when water touches steel

I just made a small 18 x 24 water pan to fit inside my regular slats. I made this so I could cut small parts out with the water just touching the material. Normally the water is below my slats ( bad initial design by me ). I cut some parts yesterday in the small water pan and the slag was about 4 times as much as normal. I played with the current setting and it remained the same. Could something else be causing this problem? or is it normal for more slag when the water touches the material?

Thanks
    John

Arrow Water Tray & Slag?

Quote Originally Posted by Big John T View Post
    I cut some parts yesterday in the small water pan and the slag was about 4 times as much as normal. I played with the current setting and it remained the same. Could something else be causing this problem? or is it normal for more slag when the water touches the material?
    Try removing the water from the small tray & check the results.
    If the excessive slag remains, it is caused by something other than the water.

I do not find a slag increase from the water touching the material.

I ran out of parts to cut and time to play yesterday... it is very humid the last few days... could moisture in the air cause that?

John

Do you have an air dryer on your compressor? Humid air would probably cause more slag.
    On all equipment there are 2 levers...
    Lever "A", and Lever F'in "B"

No, just a separator/filter... Working on an air dryer and a real compressor ... She is a good ole compressor back I've had for a long time...

I'll clean out the tank ( a royal pain ) and see what happens with the next cut.

Thanks
    John

Malware

Ban This Person
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Thanks for the tip, I might have clicked on it... Where is ynnb when you need him...

John

It was water in the line that caused the problem. New dryer on the way with a new compressor

John

I cut with the water level touching or just below the bottom of the plate. I've noticed many times on my machine that when the cut gets near the edge of the plate or cutout it seems to create excessive slag. I always assumed it was from the water splashing up on top of the plate and onto the nozzle while cutting. I just had another thought, maybe the water on the nozzle is affecting the THC voltage reading and causing the cut height to go out of spec....