585,597 active members*
3,476 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Hobbycnc (Products) > what voltage? i'm confused.. Stepper motors + driver board from hobbycnc

what voltage? i'm confused.. Stepper motors + driver board from hobbycnc

Hello now i'm pretty confused..

I got the 3axis 4aupc driver board and the 80oz steppers from hobbycnc

Now when reading the label it says 6V 1.2A on the stepper motors while the driver board minimun specs says 12VDC input max 44VDC..

Recomended 30VDC 10A but can the steppers really take that? :stickpoke

/Loterus

I think if you search through these forums, there are plenty of explanations on why & how.
    Al
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

The short answer is yes, those steppers will handle 30VDC very well. They will only draw 1.2 amps so too many amps on the power supply doesn't hurt. It just costs more.

Like Al said, your question has been answered many times on this forum. I don't remember the specifics, but you should be able to go 6x the rated voltage, in fact, its preferable to be at least 4X

ok thx.. I did search around but u got such a HUGE forum around here sounded just mostly like every1 were guessing their voltages..

then 30VDC 10A as they recomended will be what i'll try to put together..

thx again

hobbycnc board details....

The driver chips on the board can handle around 44 volts dc at about 3 amps per phase on the motor being driven. The board has on board current limiting settings to allow you to set a max amps per coil for each axis. This will keep the amps from frying your motors. The voltage your motors can handle is not something you should have to worry over as they can usually handle quite a few times the stated voltage on the nameplate on the motor. The controller board does alot of the work for you though. Pay close attention to, and follow your directions. Dave Rigotti is great with his support of the board! I can't say enough about his responsiveness to support his customers in troubleshooting, and setup, as well as just plain customer service after the sale!! You might also check into joining the yahoo hobbycnc group open for daves customers. It's a great place to find support, and good discussion on setup, and performance....

I have soldered it together now and tested running it with a computer psu just to see that its working.. and it works! motors run pretty slow and arent so strong so they shurly need more power..

thx for the yahoo group tip!

That is the beauty of a chopper driver. The higher the voltage the faster the motor will go. The Hobby CNC requires a minimum of 12VDC to operate correctly. It will run the 6 volt motor by chopping the current when it is sensed by the chopper. The important thing is to see the Vref before connecting a stepper. I am using 36V on a 3 V motor.
    Dan
    Camtronics Inc
    Dan Mauch
    Camtronics Inc
    [email protected]
    www.seanet.com/~dmauch

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mauch
    That is the beauty of a chopper driver. The higher the voltage the faster the motor will go. The Hobby CNC requires a minimum of 12VDC to operate correctly. It will run the 6 volt motor by chopping the current when it is sensed by the chopper. The important thing is to see the Vref before connecting a stepper. I am using 36V on a 3 V motor.
    Dan
    Camtronics Inc
    Dan,
    How did you like the kit?

Dave Rigotti

Yes I did like the kit. It went together in about an hour. I was surprised at how well the drivers workded in the 8 microstep mode. I am currently making a modification so that I can incorporate an all windings off feature. And when I get some time I want to try to implement a reduced current mode.
    Dan
    Camtronics Inc
    Dan Mauch
    Camtronics Inc
    [email protected]
    www.seanet.com/~dmauch