585,683 active members*
4,768 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Changing from Timing Belts to Lead Screw X and Y axis

Exclamation Changing from Timing Belts to Lead Screw X and Y axis

Good day all !

I am in the process of building my Table Top CnC Router ! Which I've got the plans from the Instructables.com !

While gathering the hardware... Locally and On line.... I saw my Order from McMaster-Carr Cancelled ! or should I say Refused !!! due to the fact that I was a new client and lived in Canada.... (nuts) it wasn't about money !!! Feel the Luv !

Now I am Stuck... I find it hard to locate a Similar distributor in Canada ! for Timing belts and Timing pulleys ! and Shaft Bearings...

My only other option is to Convert my Existing Belt design to LEAD Screws !!!
    which should be easy enough for the X axis... but the Y gantry that's another story !!! it is Self standing !!! so I was thinking of Using 2 Lead screws for movement and to keep the Gantry attached to the Base....

Is it possible to run 2 stepper motors in Parallel ??? so that both sides of my Gantry can move in Unison ! and what are the Danger of doing so ?
    I really don't have the Room to Run Gears and such to send the Motion from Only One Stepper to the other side....

Hope some of you can either point me in the right direction !!! for Timing belts in Canada or can suggest ways to run my Y gantry.... with the Lead Screw option

Thanks in advance !!!

Norm
    Kingston, On.

Try the local Bearing & Transmission or go online to Reid Supply, or request a free catalogue from Misumi, this is a wealth of engineering products, you will have a job stumping them.
    http://www.misumiusa.com/Catalogs/request.aspx
    I see that B&T are only out west! Thats a switch not to be out east also
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

One driver per stepper motor, you can slave a driver to an axis (X axis and A axis follow command given to a single axis)

Define "worm screw"!

We can't even ship things freely to Puerto Rico, a territory.

Check out the lead screw options used here, http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57030

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by jhowelb View Post
    One driver per stepper motor, you can slave a driver to an axis (X axis and A axis follow command given to a single axis)

Define "worm screw"!

We can't even ship things freely to Puerto Rico, a territory.

Check out the lead screw options used here, http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57030

I am Sorry ! Worm Screw was the wrong word ! in deed !!! :stickpoke

I meant Lead Screw ! Thanks for Sorting me out !!! LOL

I am puzzled and intrigued at the same time about the Cables and Pulley system running one of your Axis ???

My only guess is to transfer the mechanical movement of your Lead Screw to the opposite side of the Gantry and keep everything Square !

Am I right ?

I would have to make a Box underneath my Work surface to accommodate such a system... I am open to suggestions !

if I can take this small machine to another level ( see attachement) Not mine ! but will look like it !!! ... and keep on Budget.. I am all for it !

Thank you and Take Care....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CnC Homebuild.jpg  

Well, actually, you do have more options than redesigning your machine.

For belt drives components, consider ordering from brecoflex - they have about anything belt drive related you can imagine.

Bearings and shaft can be obtained from local bearing shops or there probably are on-line places for bearings in Canada.

If all else fails (and I mean you are down to your last resort), send me a pm and we can work out a way to get the McMaster parts to you. Of course, there is no way to do a return using this method, and there are 2 shipment steps, so keep that in mind.

The cable system is to prevent "racking". That is where one side of the gantry lags behind the other in movement. Square cuts won't be square and circles will be egg shaped. The cable can be under, over, outside, inside or where ever.

Here is an illustration and a thread dedicated to the idea.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...try+rock+solid
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails paralok_fence.jpg  

I like the Moving Knot system a lot ! This will Fix my Y axis Racking !!! or limit it to a minimum.... and enable me to fine tune the squareness of my machine... Thanks a lot !

This will require a small addition to the Plans I am following... (a false bottom) but shouldn't too hard to do ! Just more MDF !!! :wee:

This way I may be able to make use of some of my extra bearings to Actively Clamp Down the machine on the Gantry guide Rails versus being free standing...

Thanks to every one and your very helpful Inputs....

Once I get further... I will post pictures of my Progress !

Norm

OUT !